iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Completely clueless

Started by memmons, October 17, 2012, 12:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

memmons

I just purchased 5 acres in Western Washington. In order to put up a yurt I needed to clear an area which resulted in having to cut down 5 large fir trees. I know I don't have enough for a truck load but am wondering if it is worth hiring someone with a portable mill to come out or should I just cut it up into firewood?

Raider Bill

I don't know the answer but someone here sure will!  How big around are these trees?

I am interested in the yurt, ever have one before?

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!!!!!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Sprucegum

Before we can answer your question we need to ask a few - how long are the logs? What is the diameter across each end of each log? How accessable are they?

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Wood  8)

Leigh Family Farm

welcome to the Forum! Not "completely clueless", just "still looking for the answer that works"  ;)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Clark

Quote from: memmons on October 17, 2012, 12:52:40 PM
...In order to put up a yurt I needed to clear an area which resulted in having to cut down 5 large fir trees. I know I don't have enough for a truck load but am wondering if it is worth hiring someone with a portable mill to come out or should I just cut it up into firewood?

From my time spent working out there I recall this tidbit of information.  A 120' tall fir, which is typical of most sites in western WA and OR at 50 years of age, will scale about 1K board feet if the diameter at breast height is about 24".  If you've got five "large" trees to cut I would guess you could have 5K board feet of lumber.  So if you need the lumber or know of a way to sell it then I would definitely have someone saw it up.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Ianab

Would think that if you can get the trees milled you would have a decent heap of lumber to build something more substantial than a Yurt?

Just looked them up on Wikipedia and they seem to use a bentwood sort of construction, 5 decent size trees should be enough to build a whole village of Yurts, or one solid timber frame cabin?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

memons,welcome to the forum. Are you buying one with a floor too? Not the warmest thing to spend a winter in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thenorthman

If'n you're near Snohomish County there are several mills you can have the wood trucked too, I'm sure that there are mills in other counties but I'm familiar with Snohomish so... as far as Mobile guys... they seem to be like mobile homes they got wheels but the wheels would die of shock if they ever hit pavement, only heard  of one guy that actually went mobile with his...

The other problem faced is that all new home construction in Warshington state must be with graded and treated lumber, as in it has to have that pretty little stamp that says sumting like hem/fir grade II stud.

Trucking will run around $300-400 regardless of if its a full load and depending on how far away from a mill you are.  Five trees may or may not be enough to make a full load depends on how big they are, Whatever you do DO NOT buck them up until you find out where they are going and what lengths they will take and what they are paying, some mills will give it to you in the shorts for short logs, some love em (they are all ran by crazy people).

Is it possible for a truck to get into your place without sinking up to his axles or braking his windshield on branches? or smashing into something while pulling onto the main highway?

All important questions, all have happened in the past, All are fixable with a little fore thought and determination, good luck
well that didn't work

thenorthman

If the five you got taint enough then have you considered cutting a few more to make a load?  Five more trees would make a nice little garden spot next to the yurt, maybe some parking, never know (dream big right...)
well that didn't work

Thank You Sponsors!