iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sick Black Walnut - Pics added to initial post

Started by grweldon, October 17, 2012, 12:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

I believe I have only one Black Walnut on my property... The fruit is a dead giveaway, otherwise I wouldn't have known.  This tree is almost 24" diameter at ground level, 60-80 feet tall maybe (very rough estimate) but I believe it is dying.  The canopy is very sparse and although it does produce nuts, it does not produce all that many.  There do not appear to be any injuries to the exterior of the tree from what I can see.  It does have a few broken branches way up, which might indicate rot somewhere, maybe even a lightning strike?  For all I know it could be malnutrition or maybe too moist of a growing condition.  The tree is at the base of a hill, sitting in a flat area.  I know a picture would help and I'll get one up soon, but I'm wondering if a sick Walnut tree could be helped in any way... possibly by feeding it some nutrients?  That's the only thing I can think of.  That's why I'm here asking the question. 

Then there is always option two... cut it down and mill it up.  I'm excited that I might have this opportunity, but again, as far as I know, this is the only Black Walnut on my 60 acres.  It would be bittersweet to have to harvest it...  It would also be bittersweet to be able to save it, but that's the option I want to try first.

[Edit -  Added pics of tree... please not the wound at the base of the tree, approximately 16 inches in length.  Is this tree doomed to die?]

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

WDH

It could be drought stress.  I would leave it alone for a while.  Even if it perishes, walnut is very druable and can still be felled and sawn into lumber long after the tree dies.  Just watch it.  It may leaf out and be fine next Spring.  If not, you can harvest it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mrcaptainbob

Although there's some distance between Alabama and Michigan, maybe there are still similarities for our walnut trees. Mine are the last to leaf in the spring and the first to lose their leaves in the fall. At first I thought I had a lot of dead trees here. Come Late August they start turning yellow and dropping to the ground, where most other trees drop their leaves late October. By now all the walnuts here are naked!!

Okrafarmer

Around here, many of the walnuts still have their leaves now (or at least half of them). Some have the leaves all gone. The one I am waiting for the leaves to drop before I harvest it, is still clinging to them, as if it knows what I have in mind. There's one on a vacant lot owned by a gas station chain a couple miles from Profdan's house, and it has lost all its leaves. It is a big one, over 24" diameter, and definitely millable. I guess we'll have to wait until spring and see if it leafs out. If not, I'm getting in touch with the gas station chain and tell them they have a big dead tree on their vacant lot, what are they going to do about it?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

grweldon

Two Saturdays ago, this tree had some leaves still on it.  Last Saturday they were all gone.  Again, notice the wound at the trunk of the tree.  Does this mean the tree will soon be dying anyway?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Axe Handle Hound

While that's a good sized wound I wouldn't say it poses any great risk to the viability of the tree.  Based on the amount of regrowth around the wound it obviously happened quite a while ago and the tree appears to have been recovering fairly well.  I would say wait until next spring to see what happens.  As others have said, the wood is fairly rot resistant so you don't have to worry about it degrading over winter.  They also tend to lose their leaves earlier than many other species and it usually happens all at once.  One day they'll be covered in beautiful yellow leaves (fall color) and the next day they're gone.  Around here they like to live on the upland edge of wetland areas and streams so I doubt flooding/inundation would be the issue unless there's been a sudden change in the water flow in the area. 

WDH

The tree can live for many many years with that wound.  I agree with Axe handle.  Give it a little more time.  I bet that it will leaf out this spring.  The thing to do is to plant some of those walnuts.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Solomon

I agree with WDH.  Plant some of those walnuts.   Heck, plant'em all!!!!! smiley_divide
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

WDH

In that first pic, that sweetgum on the right may be hogging the site  :D.

Okrafarmer

A lot of our walnuts are bare now, but I saw one yesterday that still had a lot of leaves. Odd.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Peter Smallidge

I agree with the others that the visible wound may not be problematic, but the cause of that wound on the stem may have also damaged the root system.  The root system, if compromised, might make the tree more susceptible to drought (as others have noted).  Stem wounds can heal, with inner defect, but damage to root systems can cause persistent problems.  I think the "wait and see and saw it later if necessary" approach is best.

I don't want to be an alarmist, but there is a disease of black walnut as close to you at TN that you might want to be alert to.  The disease is called "thousand canker disease."  Here is one place for more information, or a search on the internet.

Your local cooperative extension or state forestry agency may have a plant disease diagnostic lab if you really want to assess the health of the tree, but be prepared to shell out a few buck for their assistance (at least you would here).  These sources would also know if black walnuts in your area were prone to early leaf drop, or other woodlot owners who had walnut with drought stress.

Good luck.
Peter Smallidge
NYS Extension Forester &
Adirondack Woodlot Owner
http://cornellforestconnect.ning.com

OneWithWood

Peter,
Glad to see you made your way to the forum.  I certainly have learned a lot from you over the years on the Cornel webcasts.
Robert
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!