iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The forum made me spend some money, THANKS!

Started by gspren, October 16, 2012, 07:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I've been running chainsaws for over 40 years cutting firewood and cleaning up trees that fall where they shouldn't and have never worn chaps. After everything I read here and talking with people at the pig roast I decided I shouldn't tempt fate any longer so today I called Baileys and ordered a set of Labonville full wrap chaps. While I had the credit card warmed up I also got a new helmet and and a timber tong, my nephew will inherit my old helmet. I made sure to tell the order taker that I got my catalog at the Forum pig roast. While visiting Magic in September I promised not to start cutting until I got chaps so sometime next week I can start.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Mooseherder

martyinmi

Great move! After seeing the pics on here plus reading all the stories, I went out and bought a pair.

Now my eyes, ears, and legs are protected, but how do I protect myself from the DanG poison ivy? I've got it on both forearms as I type >:( You'd think my system would build up an immunity to it as many times as I've had it :-\
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

grweldon

I'm happy to hear of your purchase.  Although I'm very thankful that my accident was not any worse (no bone or nerve damage) I have some very ugly scars as a reminder of my stupidity.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

thecfarm

gspren,good for you. By the way,those plastic hard hats are only good for 5 years?? I put a question mark because I forgot. Suppose to be a date inside of each one. Mine is on the visor. You mentioned giving your old one to you nephew.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodchuck53

Money well spent. I imagine we all have a few chainsaw scars. Stay safe. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

gspren

Quote from: thecfarm on October 17, 2012, 08:16:04 AM
gspren,good for you. By the way,those plastic hard hats are only good for 5 years?? I put a question mark because I forgot. Suppose to be a date inside of each one. Mine is on the visor. You mentioned giving your old one to you nephew.
I never heard that they have so short a life span, I'll look at my old one, probably 15 years old!

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

thecfarm

I have heard 5 years from somewheres,maybe work. I really thought there was a reguirement to replace them every so often. But I was wrong.I did a quick google on it and I was surprized to find that OHSA does not have a set timeframe on replacing hard hats. It's only advised to replace them every 5 years.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/resources/hardhat.php

It's way down on the bottom about advice about replacing once every 5 years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

How soon a helmet actually needs to be replaced (as opposed to just replacing it by calendar date) depends in part on how much sunlight it's seen in those years.  UV light will degrade the plastic over time, making it brittle.  One that has spent its entire life in a closet won't last forever, but it will last longer than one that has been out in the sun 8+ hours per day its whole life.

Once it's taken a good hit, it's time to replace it regardless of age.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Krieger91

For the plastic hard hats, many of them do have an "expiration date" as it were.  I was always told a year for the shell, and 5 years on the suspension.  Assuming no damage to the helmet, obviously it would need to be replaced if it's damaged.  I used to use a full-brim plastic, I just recently upgraded to a full brim aluminum.

To the OP: Like most, I'm happy to hear of your purchase!  I have never gotten bit by a saw in the leg (somehow I managed to get my thumb once), but I have plenty of boots with a battle scar on the sole.  Nonethless, I too wear chaps, a helmet, safety glasses, and ear plugs.

John Mc

Quote from: Krieger91 on October 21, 2012, 05:09:23 PM
... I used to use a full-brim plastic, I just recently upgraded to a full brim aluminum.

Why is the aluminum considered an "upgrade"?  I'm not arguing that it is or isn't, just wondering why one would be considered "better" than the other.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

I've don't think I have even seen an aluminum one around here. I know other regions that's the opposite.

Krieger91

I was always told that a thermoplastic shell would degrade after a time in the sun, being used all the time. An aluminum doesn't. Plus I had taken a widowmaker to the helmet with the plastic on, it was a small one but left a good gouge nonetheless (thankfully I was wearing the helmet). I was also always told a plastic has to be replaced if it takes a hit, and (from what I know, I may be very wrong) an aluminum doesn't have to be replaced unless it's actually broken.

just my thoughts. Haven't dinged up the aluminum or really worn it yet. If I'm wrong and somebody can point to the direction of "proper knowledge", I would be appreciative.

John Mc

Plastic should be replaced if it takes a hit.  But if I used an aluminum helmet, I'd replace that if it took a good hit as well.  If the helmet took a good wallop, then obviously it was a good thing I was wearing it.  No point in taking the chance that there is unseen damage that might give way if it's hit again.

I've heard that plastic helmets should be replaced every 5 years.  I know at least some of the manufacturers recommend it.  I thought it was also an OSHA regulation as well (though that wouldn't be binding on someone using it for personal use, rather than on a jobsite).

thecfarm

gspren,did you get the chaps yet and the other goodies?

gspren

Quote from: thecfarm on October 24, 2012, 09:36:53 AM
gspren,did you get the chaps yet and the other goodies?
Yes, just this afternoon! When the UPS guy pulled into the farm I was trying to adjust the PTO clutch on an older 318 JD garden tractor, I couldn't get him to help  :D. In regards to the plastic helmet lifespan I only use it cutting firewood and the rest of the time it is in a canvas toolbag in a shed so not too much sunlight exposure. The chaps will take some getting adjusted till their comfy but right now it's hot again so maybe next week.

beenthere

I thought about this thread and hard hats yesterday.
I was standing under my new shed roof looking out into the woods after a heavy rain. The rain had stopped and there wasn't an inkling of a breeze. As I stood gandering at my firewood stacked and drying for a winter in the future,  a 25' limb from a tall walnut tree fell from about 40' high and hit the ground about 20 yards in front of me. About 5-6" diameter. Took a split second and there would have been no time to hear the crack, look up, and move to dodge this "bullet".
A person, even with a hard hat on, wouldn't have fared too well.  Makes one feel somewhat intimidated when thinking of all the time one spends in the woods doing various things. I suppose it would be wise to not walk in the woods without a hardhat on, but doubt will take to doing that.

As far as chaps, I don't start the saw without them on, nor cut a tree without the hardhat on the head.

Glad to hear yours arrived today.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gspren

I finally got the new chaps and helmet dirty this morning cleaning up some storm dropped limbs and small trees. The new helmet is much more comfortable than my old one but the chaps will take some getting used to. Now that my ATV trails are reopened its time to start on next winters firewood so plenty of oportunities to get the chaps broken in.

gumnut

Hi,

Well done on the safety gear purchase. There is only one person that it will directly protect - you!! If things go wrong, that can affect you, family and friends. Easy equation to solve in the long run.

In Australia, the harness and shell have two different lifespans - 2 years for one, and 3 for the other. This is dictated by the relevant Australian Standard, which is mandatory for all helmets sold here.

Best news is that they are so cheap - change from $10 for a "cheapie", that you wouldnt chase one too far if it blew off. Except for if the boss or Workcover inspectors were about!

The combo helmet, earmuff and visor are pretty darn good, and protect most of the vital bits. Chaps/trousers and gloves do the rest.

I must say that the last time I saw an aluminium helmet was in a museum, really. I would be intersted to know if they are still available here.

Cheers,

Gumnut

Holmes

GOL instructor told us to test our helmets by trying to push the ear sides toward each other . If you hear any cracking the helmet is no good.  I had an old one ,you could hear the cracking.
Think like a farmer.

Dave VH

this forum cost me the same money too.  I now use chaps.  I keep a hard hat in the truck, buts that's usually for my day job.  Maybe I should start using it on my hobby job too.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Thank You Sponsors!