iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My New Truck (almost as proud as CK)

Started by Mark M, March 18, 2004, 07:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

I'm almost as proud of my new truck as CK is of his new grandchild. I went and got it last night from a fellow not too far from Strasburg (where dat Lawrence Welk fella was from). It's a 68 Chevy C60 with 40,000 miles. 2000 miles on a new 350 engine and it is like brand new. I found the truck on ebay and got in the high bid with only 12 seconds to spare. I wanted something to haul logs and firewood and about 30 rooms of plaster so I figured this would be a good compromise (we don't have too many logging truck around). I have to figure out how to make some kind of loading device to get logs in the back, maybe a jib or something with a winch.

Patty

Nice truck Mark. 8)  Have some fun with it! 8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

etat

You old bid sniping son-of-a-gun!  :)  I like!!!!! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Keltic

Good looking old truck, nice and straight, doesn't look like it was misused. Good luck with it! FMK

J_T

Those were some of the best trucks built . I rather have it than a new new one. 8) Just air them tires up good you should be good to go.
Jim Holloway

Haytrader

My dad has one purt near like it, cept his has steel sides and yours has a better roll over tarp. His is red too.

Dieing to know what you had to give. Ya could send me a PM if ya don't want to say here in front of everyone or tell me it is nunya.
 ;D
I would like to guess between 25 and 3........... :D  :D
Haytrader

etat

Wow!  36 bids and a fight to the wire!!!!!!   (My lips are sealed) ;D  One question, what is a 'Hoist is a Sumco double action'
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Mark M

CK - that is the brand of the hoist mechanism and it is a double action cylinder so you can put down pressure on the box rather than just letting gravity lower it. I been thinking a little and am wondering if I can use that to some advantage for loading logs? don't know yet.

Haytrader - I gave $4900. That's a little more than a lot of them go for but considering the condition and new engine/tires/battery, etc. I figured it was worth it. The others I looked at ranged from $3800 to $5800. The man who had it agreed to fill it with gas and put on new wiper blades. We are both happy  :)

Mark

PS - here are some more pictures I took this morning. It was kinda --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/album/126339692dCMxHM

Kevin_H.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Fla._Deadheader

Shoot Mark, ya fill that thing with logs and there won't be any more. ;D ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

AtLast

J_T

Yep with that two way hoist you can come up with a plan .Did the guy say anything about pumping the bed down when you lower it? 8)
Jim Holloway

Mark M

Hi Jim

He said he always ran it down until he could hear a load on the pump. He said it kept the bed from rattling. Can you offer some words of wisdom here?

Mark

J_T

Yep that is what I was fishing for ,you will notice when the bed tightens down then stop. If you don't you will think it is going to raise up when you hit a bump. That is a nise system top of the line.Don't raise bed when off level I'm sure you knew this but a reminder don't hurt.
Jim Holloway

Duane_Moore

8) 8)Nice truck, I am envious, look Haytrader another grain truck. now he can help haul wheat.  Good Going Mark M.   Duh---Duane 8) 8) 8)
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Mark M

Wheat? yep I know what that is!

J_T I don't have any experience with dump boxes so anything you or anyone else can tell me would be appreciated. I'm still tying to figure out why the mud flaps are in front of the rear wheels? Maybe this fellow backed up really fast a lot?

beenthere

Mark
Nice truck. You probably can pick up some trucking work when the grain (wheat in your area?) is being harvested, and help cover some of the expenses, like license, insurance, etc.

Do you have a two-speed rear axle in this one?  I drove a '58 Chevy for about 15,000 miles one summer (of '58 ) in the mountains of New Mexico. The two-speed rear axle was a blessing to have.

No explanation for the mud flaps in front, unless backing up was indeed how the truck was used.
 ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ADfields

You will likely find a 2nd set of brackets to hang them flaps in just behind the wheels.  You move them from behind the tires before you back over a curb or in rocks or a field so they don't get riped up. ;)

For a log loader what about a beam out the back like the septic tank trucks have with a winch?   Pick up the log with the winch and then push it aboard by hand.   Set the hole thing up so it sits in the stake pockets and can be pulled off to put the side boards on.
Andy

Captain

Swell truck , Mark.  It will be great to hear how it works for you!

Captain

Bro. Noble

Mark,

We have an old chev.  (63- C60)  with a dump bed.  When we get a load of logs that is pretty top heavy and hauling over sloping ground,  we chain the load to the frame rather than the bed.  This may not be necessary where you have down pressure on your hoist.  Ours sometimes wants to dump sideways othewise :o
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Joe W

Mark,nice truck.The mud flaps in front of the wheels protects the back of the cab when running onsanded or salted roads or on gravel roads.Power down on the dump body helps should you dump a load and something heavey like a stump  gets caught in your tailgate you just power down where a one way power  system you would be stuck in the up position.One thing to remember always power down.If you don't the hydraulic fluid gets airated and will probily over flow the tank.Good luck with it,Joe

Mark M

Thanks for the advice everyone. It does have a 2 speed axle, but it has been so long since I've used one that I can't remember how. Seems I used to remember just pulling up the know and then taking my foot off the gas. The book mentions something about pushing in the clutch too so I'll have to read a little.

Noble how full do you think I can fill this truck with logs? Right up to the top or will that be too heavy?

Mark

Bro. Noble

Mark,

We haul 1500-2000bdft which would be considerably above the cab.  Watch your spring to see how heavy you're loading.

You need to clutch when down shifting,  but don't need to when up shifting.

The local loggers often leave two logs together and buck them at the mill so they can get more on.  Sometimes they have trouble turning while going up hill cause there isn't enough weight on the front wheels :o   Don't load yours that heavy :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

beenthere

As I remember the two-speed axle (vacuum and electric) was best shifted when either accelerating or de-celereating (not coasting) when changing the rear from low to hi, or hi to low. (Never clutched when down shifting).  Then after changing, let up (and/or step down) on the accelerator.  There will be a moment of "buzzing" noise when it shifts, but matching the drive shaft speed with the new rear end gear should engage it and the noise will go away. In the '58 Chevy directions to shift down from hi to low, one was supposed to have the accelerator down when changing. But when going down a steep mountain road, and needing to shift down, the last thing one wants to do first is step on the accelerator (wrong feeling for sure). Found out having back pressure on the engine does the same thing as when power is applied, to shift the rear axle.

Once upon a time, I almost couldn't accelerate the engine rpm enough going down a long mountain highway road, in order to match the drive shaft rpm to the low rear end gear. I'd waited too long and was going faster and faster in 4th gear, and too fast to shift down to third. So tried to get it into 4th low rear end but it didn't immediately match up. After a couple tries, finally just held the accelerator to the floor, the engine wound up real tight, and the match was made. Lots of rpm noise but it was better than trying to stop that truck with just the brakes. Sweat a few drops of blood that time, cause I thought I had lost it for sure. Best not to wait too long to shift down!
 ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!