iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Choker cable

Started by Ga Mtn Man, October 15, 2012, 10:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

Anyone know where I can buy the parts to make a choker cable (like the ones Bailey's sells), only longer?  I need to make a choker cable for for the hand winch on my home-made log arch and it needs to be a little longer and smaller in diameter than the Bailey's pre-made chokers.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

thecfarm

I have no idea what size Bailey's sell. Must be more than one size. Labonville sells them too,but I bet it's the same size and lenght as Bailey's.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

giant splinter

Baileys has some,have you considered adding the choker to a long cable with eyes on the ends or will this even work in your application?. Most rigging shops can fix you up for a few extra $.
roll with it

Krieger91

What kind of choker are you reffering to? I have no idea where to find the parts to make a bell choker if that is your goal.

However, for some $20, I got the parts I needed to make a cable choker to use on the farm I work at. The weakest point is the cable itself (1/4") and that has a 3,000+ tensile strength.  It's fairly simple to build one. Feel free to private message me if you'd like more a more in-depth description.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: giant splinter on October 15, 2012, 11:00:28 PM
Baileys has some,have you considered adding the choker to a long cable with eyes on the ends or will this even work in your application?. Most rigging shops can fix you up for a few extra $.

It really needs to be a single cable about 16' long.  I don't know that we have rigging shops in N. Ga.  How would I find one?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

mad murdock

Google wire rope or rigging or check yellow page listing under those same key words. Bound to be a rigging shop in your area
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

clww

I did some research several months ago regarding swagging winch cables. I found a company called LEXCO (1-800-626-6556) while searching the internet. Maybe you could check their website.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Cypressstump

You can also roll your own eye into your cable, secure the tail with Crosby clamp. That would work for most applications, I use that method a lot for my rigging needs.When the cable is in good sahpe, with a clean square cut end, once the eye is rolled and the tail ends are rolled, I'll use a torch to gas weld the loose wire ends into a nice melted end to prevent  stray wires sticking out.

--- rolling an eye is not simply clamping the tail back to the tag end. The cable is unraveled into 2 equal length sections then re-woven back into formal cable eye, hope this makes sense...?

Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Ga Mtn Man

Got any pictures of this?  I don't see how this creates a choker.

Happy Birthday Stump! 8)

thenorthman

Search industrial supply in your area,  anyone that deals with rigging, wire rope, cranes, that kinda thing.  There is a few of them around here but shipping would kill ya.  If you allready have the Bell (the funny key holed piece) its shouldn't be to hard to find someone to make up a custom length choker,

As far as splicing an eye into the line, what there talking about is called a Flemish Eye or a farmers eye,  unravel three strands leaving the core  on one side (some cable has more strands go for half with the core on one side). unravel about two feet or so depending on cable size then cross them like tying your shoes and re wrap around themself's to form the eye, once you're back to the live and cross it with one strand and keep wrapping until there is no loose strands.  To make a safe eye you need to add a few clamps or have theme swaged.  Using a torch on a cable is a great way to lose strength in it, cable is heat treated heating it up will ruin that heat treat making the cable soft or brittle, both bad things,

Smallest chokers I have seen used where in the 5/16 range and they had funny looking ends and a short work life,  I've been using a pair of 7/16" chokers for years know they are a little kinked now and full of jaggers but still work good
well that didn't work

Ga Mtn Man

Thanks guys.  This is what I'm looking to make:

Where can I buy just the bell and what do you call the fitting on the end of the cable?

Cypressstump

The torch heat I refered to is no where near the eye itself, and does not weaken any part the way I make my eyes.

BTW- great description above on rolling the eye....

I allow several inches (5-8) of tail, once the eye is rolled, I continue to re-wrap or roll the excess tail , below the eye. That allows a rolled tail of which the ends can be 'torch welded or metled' and not have any frayed finger prickers. The heat is never close enough to the cable nor eye to transfer heat, or weaken the cable in anyway.
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

thecfarm

Labonville calls that ESCO,its all in capital letters,under choker attachments.They have 3 differant styles. No mention of the bell part. That is just a piece of melted,shaped lead the cable is pressed into?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cypressstump

The end is a steel swaged nub.

If that is the setup you are interested in, as mentioned, a cable supplier or rigging supplier would be your best bet.
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

grassfed

Labonville makes that stuff in house. Call them and they should be able to help you with whatever you need. I have been to the store in Gorham several times and they made up things for me ,custom, on the spot.
Mike

thecfarm

Don't call stores in Maine. They tell another store,which I guess is Gorham and they make it. All they do is sell stuff here in Maine. No shop here to make anything. All the 3 stores in Maine are this way.

grassfed

Unless things have changed, in the last few years, they do make up cables in Gorham NH. They have (had?) a huge cable crimping tool that looked like a giant bolt cutter in the back part of the store and many bins of fittings. I think that they had a picture of the crimper in one of their catalogues a few years ago.
Mike

poorfarm

I have bells from broken chokers i will ship you???

thenorthman

Masdams (I think they do cable) Woods logging supply, Green shield industrial (Everett WA), Dunlop Industrial(Everett WA)(although they can be jerks) are the local guys of choice around here, should be able to google them and make a special order Green shield is a little more spendy but they jump on it when you want it and seem to enjoy making odd ball stuff takes em maybe 5 minutes to make up two chokers, any length you ask fer...

The thing on the end I've always called a bullet, but probably called a ferule.  When ordering make sure you order a log choker, you could get a pipe choker they are very different...

As far as the heating cable with a torch, its important to be specific, some guys (like me) might get the wrong Idear and heat the middle to "help" bend the eye,
The wifey found me a pdf on splicing (once again self taught) not sure how to attach it its kinda large...
well that didn't work

Thank You Sponsors!