iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

logosol grindomatic

Started by logman81, October 10, 2012, 06:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Does any one have the logosol chain saw chain sharpener? If so what are your thoughts on it? I like the fact that it runs on 12 volts and looks pretty easy to set up.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Corley5

I saw it in Bailey's new catalog.  Seems pretty expensive though.  I'd prefer 110v for the shop. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

logman81

Yes does seem a little pricy but I like that it can be put in a truck box and when needed can be hooked to a car battery to opperate. I checked out the vid and like that it is fully auto meaning once it is set up you can just let it sharpen the chain while you are doing other things.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Corley5

It seems big and bulky for use in the woods.  It'd be more useful to me on a bench in the shop to sharpen a bunch of chains to take to the woods rather than the sharpener  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

I'll second what Corley says, it seemed odd to me it is 12 volt. I like the concept of the machine, I'm surprised an auto chain sharpener hasn't been around for a while. Can you imagine a band blade sharpener where you had to clamp every tooth and feed the head manually?  ???
Too many irons in the fire

redprospector

Quote from: barbender on October 11, 2012, 08:48:07 PM
I'll second what Corley says, it seemed odd to me it is 12 volt. I like the concept of the machine, I'm surprised an auto chain sharpener hasn't been around for a while. Can you imagine a band blade sharpener where you had to clamp every tooth and feed the head manually?  ???

Yep, I used to have one.  :D

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

blades

Various versions have been around for a long time. Very pricey. Still dealing with the same issues as a manual one. Wheel wear and burning of cutters ( CBN wheels will still burn a cutter plus they are a couple hundred $ apiece). Indexing relies on the cutter being pushed into position. on brand new chains they work ok, If there is a problem with the chain there is going to be a problem in the cycle.  a stiff joint, messed up drive link, missing cutter and the like will get things all messed up and ruin a chain. Sharpening chains is a bit of a drudgery and I do way more than the avg. person or even tree service of them per year. Right now I am working on one order consisting of some 60+ chains ranging from 14" to 36+ bar length loops. ( from a tree service)and of course a mix of cutter styles. 3 different cutter styles in the 14" ones alone and each style requires a different width grinding wheel.  I am a professional sharpener/machinist of many many years just my .002 cents worth.

Thank You Sponsors!