iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frick mill feedworks control ?

Started by SPD748, October 15, 2012, 07:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPD748

Good evening guys,

I'm not sure why but I just thought about the arrangement of the control lever on Frick mills. Perhaps someone here knows; Why is the control handle setup to 'push' the carriage when the handle is pulled and 'pull' the carriage when the handle is pushed? In my mind it makes more sense to have the carriage travel in the direction of the handle, not opposite. Just one of many random thoughts I've been having lately. :)

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SPD748 on October 15, 2012, 07:04:55 PM
Good evening guys,

I'm not sure why but I just thought about the arrangement of the control lever on Frick mills. Perhaps someone here knows; Why is the control handle setup to 'push' the carriage when the handle is pulled and 'pull' the carriage when the handle is pushed? In my mind it makes more sense to have the carriage travel in the direction of the handle, not opposite. Just one of many random thoughts I've been having lately. :)

-lee

It's because your on this side of the equator.  :)

I have no idea Lee....but when you get your mill running, I want you to teach me how to mill with it. I can't wait!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bert

The thinking is if you fall into the stick- the carriage will back up and not pull you into the saw. Thats what I was always told anyhow.
Saw you tomorrow!

SPD748

Quote from: Bert on October 15, 2012, 07:18:44 PM
The thinking is if you fall into the stick- the carriage will back up and not pull you into the saw. Thats what I was always told anyhow.

Thanks Bert. That makes perfect sense to me! Now... why didn't I think of that? ::) You know, I talked to my Dad about changing the control arrangement a couple of months ago. The expression on his face coupled with the simple question 'WHY?' were enough for me to forget that idea. Based on your reply, I'm glad I did.

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 15, 2012, 07:16:31 PM
Quote from: SPD748 on October 15, 2012, 07:04:55 PM
Good evening guys,

-lee

It's because your on this side of the equator.  :)

I have no idea Lee....but when you get your mill running, I want you to teach me how to mill with it. I can't wait!

David, you're most certainly welcome here anytime my friend. As far as 'running' goes, I just ordered the drive belt. That's a 5C188 banded belt. Thought I don't care to think about what that little jewel cost, I think it will work nicely. Unless I've missed something, the belt is the last link in the chain. I too am ready to see this thing spin!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You have done very well documenting every step putting this mill together. You have something to be really proud of!  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

What Bert said is correct also if something,bark,branch, slab caught the lever it would back out.The first mill I had fed the same way as the lever was moved,never any problems.Alot of things are done one way because they were always done that way. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

When we converted over to automatic mills, I kept the handle the same way.  With the automatics, I feel like I have better control by pulling on the feed lever than by pushing on it.  Probably a force of habit.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

lyle niemi

Its a safty issue I was told and it does make sense

loggah

It could also be that the early steam locomotives were set up this way and i assume the design carried over to steam sawmills,most early crawler tractors were set up that way also! pull the Johnson bar back to go forward ,and push it forward to reverse.  Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Thank You Sponsors!