iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vacuum Sealer ??

Started by Magicman, October 15, 2012, 06:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I an looking into getting a vacuum sealer but the various brands and models available are a bit overwhelming.

What are your suggestions?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Don't go cheap.

Cheap ones will get you by, but they will usually give up within a couple of years.

Cabela's offers some good ones, as well as Sears!

The one we have is made by FoodSaver.  We've had it four years now!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I've been looking too. Magic man wants one for elk,BIG elk.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Busted again.   :)  If I order now, it will be here when I get back.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Better order more bags.  ;D   Are you going to have internet to keep us updated on the BIG Elk Hunt?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

I've got the FoodSaver brand and have been happy with it. They do run sales on them so if you're not in a big hurry keep an eye on their website for their specials.

Axe Handle Hound

At risk of upturning the apple cart, I'll offer a voice of dissent.  I have two different food saver machines and I never use them anymore.  I have had too much trouble with sealed bags losing vacuum and the meat getting terrible freezer burn.  I think the frost/ice in the freezer punctures the bags and then the air gets in, but you don't know it because you can't see the bottom of the pile of sealed bags.  Also, they're slow to use.  Having to cut all those bags, vacuum, and then seal them will make for days of processing on something as large as an elk.  After trying the vacuum sealing approach for multiple years on elk, deer, and salmon we went back to using plastic wrap and freezer paper and have had a lot more success with better quality food.  If you have a person doing just that task it goes surprisingly quick.  Fastest and most effective yet has been taking it to a local butcher.   Last year I had my elk cut, wrapped, and frozen for $225...a great deal.  This is undoubtedly not the advice you were looking for, but I thought I'd put it out there for consideration.

clww

We've had good luck with our FoodSaver 850 series machine. We got it as a gift 4 years ago. Get extra bags, as others suggest.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

drobertson

Food Saver, works great, has for years.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

cinnabar

We have the Kennmore.  Got it as a gift, but we mostly use it for freezing cheese.  You will want extra bags they get used up fast.  Cheap bags don't last as well either. 
I like using the freezer paper for the venison better.
Good luck with the hunt.

Chuck White

NOTE:  The vacuum sealers can also be used to seal and protect important/valuable documents!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Raider Bill

I've had my Food Saver for 6-7 years. Works good. My Son uses it a lot to package ammo for storage. 100 rounds per bag.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

LeeB

Get ZipSeal bags from LEM. Much better than the food save  bags. Heavyer duty and don't loose the vacuum as easy. Work well in the food saver vacuume.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

blackfoot griz

MM
We have a Food Saver and it has worked great for years.
A while back while cleaning out the chest freezer, we discovered a pack of Elk tenderloin from a bull I got 3 years ago. We had it for our anniversary dinner...couldn't have been better!

Just my opinion, but stuff seems to keep better, longer in a vacuum sealed package, especially fish.

You'll want that Colorado Bull Elk to last ;D

ibseeker

MM,
The Food Saver is a good machine for limited vacuum sealing. If you are going to do a lot of vacuum sealing or have a lot to do at once then you might consider a vacuum chamber sealer. They are considerably more expensive but in the long run are a better deal when doing a lot of work. The bags are much cheaper and you can use a retort bag. Retort bags are what tuna fish is sold in. Food Saver bags are expensive in comparison. The chamber sealers work on a different principle than the vacuum pump sealers. Wet foods (fish fillets), sauces, soups...no problem in a chamber. 
It's worth the time to investigate and learn a bit before spending the money. I thin the low end chamber sealers are about twice the price of a Food Saver. I'm still debating upgrading to a chamber sealer or just sending my fish to the processor.

Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

drobertson

I saw a neat trick on moist wet food, even marinated meats,  the trick is to put in a folded up paper towel at the top of the bag across the whole length of the bag, and then just vacuum as usual. Have not tried it but saw it on t.v. Looks like it works, worth a try anyway.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

limbrat

I think we use a food saver. we have had some good ones and one useless one. Consider getting one with a wet seal function and a built in bag cutter it also helps if it will seal the bottom in a new bag without turning on the vacume
On the one i like you load a roll of bags into the machine. Pull the bottom of the roll to the edge of the machine lock it down and seal the bottom of the bag (without the vacume). Then pull the bagout to the lenght you need and cut it off with a built in blade. Load the bag with your stuff, put the edge of the bag in the machine lock it down, push a buttom and walk away. It pulls a vac and seals on its own. If you got to stand there hold it down dont get it.
ben

Magicman

Axe Handle Hound, I appreciated your view and input.  That is also the method that I have been using, but I keep seeing advertisements on the TV and started wondering if maybe there was a better/different way.   ???

I got a flier from Cabela's today listing one for a discounted price.

Chuck White

I think the biggest problem with freezer burn in vacuum seal bags is when frozen packages get banged together enough to cause a hole through the plastic!

That is what lets the air in!

sbishop

Been using my foodsaver a lot this pass year...they are tough machines...like others have said, get one that holds the roll and has a cutter.

I personally is tired of cutting and making your own bags...I ordered some sample bags from vauum sealers unlimited. They reviews were great and the price is about the same as roll bags.

good lukc with elk!

Sbishop

Radar67

I've used a Food Saver for a while too. I like to use the jar sealing attachment. I can vacuum seal a canning jar and not have to worry. Got some of my garden seeds in one and it has been sealed for over a year and a half. There are many uses for the sealer. I have an emergency roll of TP in the truck that has been sealed for over three years.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Chuck White

Good idea Radar, protect those important pieces of paper!   :D :D :D

LeeB

3 years without an emergency stop. wow.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sandhills

Radar67

Mind you, an emergency roll entails an emergency. I did not mention the non emergency rolls I keep on hand. I have often thought of getting a pop up changing tent, trailer hitch toilet seat and a 5 gallon bucket for such real emergencies. I'm not too sure how it would be received on the interstate highways of the nation though.  ;) There would be no public nudity, no environmental issues (unless the bucket was turned over prior to placing the lid on it), and I can't think of any other issues that would make it illegal.  :P Who wants to test this theory for me?  ;D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WDH

I think that Magicman has already conducted some trials while at Elk Camp  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

I have been vacuum sealing deer for eight years now, needed to replace the foodsaver last year. The pump stoped pumping. I buy the rolls and make my own bags. It does take more time to process but the packaging allows one to see what is inside. I much prefer the sealed bags over the "saran" wrap and paper.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LeeB

The pump on my fairly new at the time food saver stopped pumping once also. It would run but not vacuume. Just for kicks I took it apart and found that it has some little tiny flap type valves in the vacuume/electric switch lines and one of them had a small piece of crud holding the flap open. Been working like a champ ever since.

Magicman

I ordered the Cabela's Preservac Deluxe vacuum sealer before I left for Colorado.  It was on special, plus I know if I have any problems or are not satisfied, I can return it.  It was waiting for me when I returned.

:)  When I came down off of the mountain Thursday I stopped by a store in Montrose, Co. and bought a couple more rolls of bags.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

thecfarm

He is back. I'm on my way to the elk thread.  8)

Magicman

I hate to bad mouth a product, but the Cabela's Preservac Deluxe sealer was unsatisfactory.  I could squeeze the air out of a zip bag and do a better job.  It just would not suck the air out of a bag.  Since I found out that Wally World carried Food Saver, I made a trip and bought the model V3230.  I do not mind making and admitting to a mistake.  Maybe mine will prevent others for making the same mistake.

No question that this Food Saver works.  It sucked the bags tightly around the meat without leaving any bubbles.  I am very pleased.

Cabela's will be getting theirs back.

LeeB

Agapn, I'm goingto recomend the ZipVac bags from LEM. They work just fine with the Food Saver vac and are a much better bag. More robust and price copares favorably with the Food Saver bags. They also come in bigger rolls.

Magicman

I got a LEM catalog yesterday.   :)   smiley_thumbsup

LeeB

They offer foodsaver bags also if you want them instead.

OlJarhead

I'm going to join the Foodsaver crowd here.  We've had ours for 4 or 5 years now and use it constantly.  We buy bulk cheese and slice it ourselves and then vac seal it and toss it in the bottom of the fridge.  It never molds!  Lasts as long as we need it to.  We also buy bulk lunch meat and vac it and put it in the freezer.

Are there bags that don't seal?  Yes.  My wife has the most trouble with that but it's more a technique thing I think as our sealer is getting old and well used.  What I recommend is to seal the bottom of the bag twice if the sealer is getting worn out, then I have no problems at all.

Of course, our sealer was only $169 new so perhaps after 4 or 5 years it's lifespan is getting pretty short but we've been happy enough (and saved enough money) to buy a second when this one quits.

All in all, I give the Foodsaver brand two thumbs up!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

WDH

I use the LEM bags for ground deer.  They are a good outfit.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!