iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Durn old age

Started by Haytrader, March 17, 2004, 06:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haytrader

Well, my dad did it again.
He thinks he can do everything he has always done.
Actually he is not that old, only 77, but maybe it is the fact that he is not as quick as he used to be.
What happened is..........he was helping load out cattle off of wheat pasture and a 700# steer side swiped him. Broke his leg in three places, starting just below the hip.
Traction tonight, surgery tomorrow.
Haytrader

etat

Sorry to hear it.  Hope he does alright.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Frickman

I'm sorry too to hear of his injury. I got banged up too a few years ago loading cattle, but not as severely as your dad. Hope he does OK tommorow.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Paul_H

That sounds pretty serious Haytrader.I hope he recovers well.

My Dad is waiting on his second hip replacement(same hip after only six years) It's hard to keep a good man down.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Duane_Moore

:'(Darn. them tuff ol coots are hard to put down thou. Shucks boy are you gona be short handed now...spring work and all. Hope Dad gets along OK. tell him we said Hello. be thinkin of him. Sounds like a nasty brake, think ya can fix him up with PVC?  Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

CHARLIE

Haytrader, I'm sorry to hear about your dad busting his leg and requiring surgery.  I pray that all will go well and he'll be mended and walking soon.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Swede

Haytrader. :´( *sorry*  

Some times we have to tell them what to do and what not to but it´s a fight sometimes and not easy. It broke my heart when I had to tell my dad not to climb the roof at his house a year ago. He worked with building big houses and bridges for 30 years. He was 77 Y.O. last sunday and it takes him "7" steps to turn around and look backwards. Perhaps have to tell him not to drive his car in a year or two. Hard to find but we have to look after them as kids soon or later.
Broken a leg in 3 places at that age is serious but I hope Your dad will be up walking soon as possible. It makes a strange feeling but tell him not to run after the cattles then, if You have to!

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Fla._Deadheader

Guess my post never made it on here last night ::) ::)

I know them broke legs don't heal too quick.

Wish your Dad well, and hope he recovers with full mobility.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Haytrader

Thanks for all of your concern.

I don't think PVC will work this time, Duane.
Duane is referring to a calf I had to pull a couple of weeks ago. It was a difficult birth and I had to pull too hard which left the calf not being able to stand. I slid some PVC pipe over its legs to the knees and duct taped them on.

I am a little pithed at my younger brother for allowing dad to be in a position to get hurt. Dad had no business in a crowding pen with those big steers. He should have been on the outside of the pen with a poking stick and let the younger guys do the loading. But, it was at one of dads places and his cattle. What do you do?

Sounds like several of you are/have going/gone through some similar situations. And the heck of it is, we are all headed there too.
 :-[

Haytrader

Norm

You just can't keep a good man down Haytrader, I'm sure he will be up and around pestering you before ya know it. Tell him to get well soon from Patty and I.

Smack your brother up the back of the head with a sorting stick. Just kiddin, I know how hard it is to tell a dad what to do. Just ask my sons. ;D

karl

Haytrader
Sorry  Dad got hurt- sounds bad. Hoping he heals quick. I know how grumpy tough old men git when their not working well!
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

bull

Sorry to hear about your dad..... don't keep him down.. get him up and going as soon as possible so he doesn't loose his steam.....  Old bucks are the best help and the aren't making them like they use too. My Grandad took a fall a couple years back and stuck to his easy chair, he's not here to help me any more  :-[.
 Talk to the doc about ( Parmidranate) not sure on the spelling, it's used to enhance bone.... My son has Brittle bones disease and he is on infusions every six weeks and his fracture rate has reduced by leaps and bounds...... At 77 multiple fractures, ( osteo perosis) can be an issue
 Parmidranate was discovered by Canadian doctors who were working on pain management in elderly women with osteo perosis. They had bone growth and reduce pain....

Patty

Dear Haytrader,

I hope your dad does well today in his surgery. As soon as he is able, though, get him up and get him going. He will heal faster that way, rather than laying in a bed or in an easy chair. I used to work in rehab in a nursing home, those old folk who got themselves up and moved around and refused to lay in bed, healed faster than any of the rest. It was hard work for them, but it also gave them reason to get out of bed everyday...something to look forward to for them. Everyday we got to mark their progress, and the best day of all was when we got to send them home. 8)
Best wishes for your dad. ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Frank_Pender

Well, durn deal all around for your father, Haytrader.   Yep when our folks get to setting or laying all the time they sure canget use to that and the hill of life seems to get more slick.
On of the thigs we like to do as their children is make sure they take it easy and lots of rest and all and sometimes this is not so good.  they get real use to the pampering and all and just settle in for the duration.  I pray that all is going well for him today in surgery.   Like was said, get him active as soon as possible.  You might even ask him for lots of advice while is he is layed up.  Get him out into the pickup and about also.  You might even devise a special holding chair for him in the back of a pickup for getting around. 8)
Frank Pender

Bro. Noble

Haytrader,

Our prayers are with your Dad today.

He sounds like my Dad and is just a year or two younger.

Dad once broke his wrist while working cattle,  but insisted on finishing before he went to the Dr.  He spent 11 hrs. strait blading and repairing roads on the farm last week.  Took his lunch with him so he didn't have to stop.  He had 4 way by-pass surgery last fall and was concerned that it was taking him so long to recover ;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Mark M

Ouch! - tell him he can go around telling people that he was in a bull fight and lost. ;)

Hope your old pappy recovers soon Haytrader. Show him a picture of my new truck, that'll cheer him up.

Mark

Stan

Swede's right about it bein' serious. Half of the old folks that break a hip don't live more'n a year afterwards. Course women bein' tougher live longer afterwards. Mom broke two 15 years apart, and is still truckin'. Dad broke one, and bellied up 10 months later.  :-/ We'll put him on the prayer list.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Bro. Noble

One of my grandmas fell on the ice and broke her leg one winter.  She laid out in the cold for 4 or 5 hours till grandad got home.  Between the leg and catching pneumonia,  the Dr. said if she lived she would never walk again.  She was in her late seventies.  She died-------about 15 years later.  She was walking in time to put out a garden the spring she broke her leg.

When they sawed her cast off she told them they were sawing her leg.  They said it was just vibrations causing that sensation.  She just watched them in digust.  When they peeled the cast back shure enough,  there was a red streak (fortunately not much more than a scratch).  Grandma told them she guessed she knew when she was being sawed :-/

Dr.s, and lots of people who aren't familiar with old-timers who made their life on the farm,  underestimate their strength-----physical and otherwise.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

IMERC

OUCH!!!!   Good thoughts and wishes his way...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Bibbyman

Hope for your dad a speedy recovery.  At least it'll be the time of the year he'll want to get up and around as soon as he can.  

A few years back my dad went in for a triple bypass.  He came through the surgery fine but developed staff infection and had to go back in for 3-4 months.  I visited with him a lot and told him I was really amazed at his (inner) strength.  I told him I couldn't go through what he had.  He said. "Oh.  I think you could."

We got one ol'-timer that brings Mary a load of logs about twice a year.  I know he's got to be well into his 70's but you'd think he was maybe in his late 50's or early 60's.  He still stands straight and tall and is very alert.   He does the best job of felling,  bucking and trimming logs of anyone we get logs from – especially the "professionals".  It about makes a body mad.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

RavioliKid

Haytrader,

Best wishes for good spirits and a speedy recovery. It sure is hard to watch our dear loved ones get old - but it sure beats the alternative!

RavioliKid

Haytrader

Thanks again guys and gals.
He came through the surgery and now has a little lifetime hardware to hold things together.
They had him scheduled as the last to go under the knife as they didn't know how long it would take.
He is not one to lay around the house and will be wanting to get out. And like you said Bibby, this time of year especially.

I just had a thought. How bout we have a thread where we put a picture of us and our dads so everyone can see what we look like and our fathers too? It is nice to put a face with a name.
Haytrader

Patty

About 25 years ago my Gramma was trying to make a go of it after my Grampa died. They had always heated the house with wood, and Grampa had always been in charge of sawing up the fire wood every fall. Now Gramma was just a tiny little lady, I swear the ax weighed more than she did, but she somehow made do and was keeping the house warm through the cold Wisconsin winter. One morning she went out to get the mail, and she slipped and fell in the ditch and couldn't get back up. Gramma wasn't dressed to be out in the cold all day, but there she laid until evening. When her neighbor came home after work, he saw her out there in the ditch and came to her rescue. All she needed was a little warmth, and she was all better. She wrote to me describing her ordeal and ended her letter, "Patty, you almost had yourself one stiff Granny!" :o   I still smile when I think of her and her strength and sense of humor. I miss her still.
I'm glad your dad fared well through his surgery, Haytrader.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Duane_Moore

Haytrader.  hows Dad doing? chasin the nurses yet? eatin his jello, sneak him in a hambuger for me. tell him to behave, hope he's doing well, here's some flowers from us. Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Haytrader

My wife and I stopped in to visit him last night and found him asleep. Talked to the nurse and she said he was coming along fine, just needs to move around more. I noticed they had removed the drip system for fluids and pain meds, so they are bringing him around. On his table was a couple cookies and a peice of apple pie left from meals.
One sister is an RN at our rest home. We are thinking about a little time there in the recuperation period might be good. The other sister and a neice are nurses there too. My X is activities directer.
Haytrader

Patty

Sounds like he will be in good hands Haytrader. I hope he is back on his feet very soon.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Swede

A couple of years ago my dad drove of the road and into anything that stopped the car. I get a call and get told he was at the hospital. I could not see it was him so they had to tell me. His face was big,  blue and red, nose and anything more broken, I could not see his eyes, he had been under the knife and going to the dentist next day........ His face had hit  the steering wheel.
He asked for the time, could not see the big clock hanging on the wall just infront of him. But I did not worry very much because he said the nurses looked nice. "Would You please take my new glasses here tomorrow!"

:) Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Haytrader

Update on my dad.

He was moved to the physical therapy section of the hospital. I was present yesterday when he did some bending exercises.I was impressed at how he was progressing.
I talked to him about some farm business and had a general good feeling about him. Sounds good, right?
Then at 11:30 PM I get a call and he had tried to get up by himself and had fallen. Xrays showed no new damage to his hip. Just three stitches above the eye.

What next?

:(
Haytrader

Patty

I am sorry Haytrader.
Often when old folks are in a new place, such as the hospital or nursing home, they get confused and forget where they are, or forget why they are there. This is not uncommon at all, just very hard for them and their family to cope with. I want to say this too shall pass, and hopefully it will. Trust in the caregivers to keep an eye on him for you, that is their job. In the mean time get plenty of rest and try to relax,so when you go see him, he doesn't see the anxiety and sadness in your eyes.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

bull

See ya can't keep the old buck down, He was getten frisky w/the nurses..... 8)...
 Sorry to here about the fall, my grandmother scared the crap out of us three times after her hip surgery, she was in rehab for a few weeks and then home w/ a visiting nurses aid and still managed to fall on her face.My sister lives in an attached apartment at the Farm so she's only a staircase away..... Can't keep gram down and are constantly giving her hell for not using the walker or carrying the Cane...... Stubborn and i like her that way...... 87 and still kicking !!  
  Remind the old buck it's his turn for special attention, being treated like a king once in a while ain't all that bad...
good luck and keep the faith !!

OneWithWood

I hope all is going well for your dad right now.  Don't be too hard on him or your brother for the accident.  He was doing what he wanted to be doing the way he wanted to do it.  He is the one suffering with the injury now.  The one thing I learned from my dad in the last few years of his life is that the freedom to do things goes quick enough.  It does not make it any easier to have your kids or any one else attempt to curtail those freedoms.  Dad told me he understood we were all concerned for his well being, as was he, but that we really needed to show him the courtesy of letting him decide what he was going to do and what he was going to have to stop doing.  They may get hurt but they will still have their dignity.

Best wishes for your dad and your family.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

karl

Trader
Glad Dad came through the op OK- sorry 'bout the fall.
Dad's are real important, it is real hard to watch them get old,real frustrating for them too. hope he has no more accidents.
Thinking of you both.
 I have been missing mine for nine years now.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Thank You Sponsors!