iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ham Radios

Started by Raider Bill, October 15, 2012, 12:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

My Son will be 32 this week. He mentioned that he would like a hand held ham radio. He's sort of a electronics geek and still has a CB in his truck. I'm sure he would like to have one that has multiple band like CB or VHS etc.
Does anyone have a suggestion or at least a good manufacturer of them?

different wattage, some have GPS and other options.

I know nothing about them

Additionally he does not have a license yet but plans on getting started down that road.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Chuck White

I don't know much about ham radio either, but I do know that it's a little easier for a person to get their license now!

Now, you don't have to know "diddy-bop", aka morse code.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

WA5IEE here, get the license first.  By then he will get to know other hams and future hams in the area.  Their suggestions and recommendations will be valuable regarding equipment and frequencies monitored.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

easymoney

ham radio can not be used for commercial or business use. it is a wonderful hobby. i am a ham radio operator and meet daily with friends all over the country. there are clubs in most areas that should welcome a newcomer and let you find out about ham radio and let you decide if ham radio is a hobby for you.

Raider Bill

He already has met several ham operators.  The model he originally wanted has been discontinued.

I'd like to get one that is water proof or at least resistant, GPS and emergency beacon, plus as many bands as possible.

this one comes close but not water resistant.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010606

Raider Bill

Or maybe this one

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010366

I think this is going to turn into a Christmas present. I'll get him a gun for his birthday Them I know about.

DR_Buck

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 16, 2012, 11:17:22 AM
Or maybe this one

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010366

I think this is going to turn into a Christmas present. I'll get him a gun for his birthday Them I know about.

Both of those are an awful lot of $$$ for a handheld, even for a veteran ham.   You'd be  spending a lot for the APRS capability and if he isn't going to use it you are wasting money.   I'd recommend going with a Wuoxun (http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/) and let him get his feet wet.   Then after he gets familiar with the hobby if he decides he wants something else he can move up.  Too many times I've seen new hams spend lots of $$$$, only to give ham radio up in a short order.

de K3SK   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Busy Beaver Lumber

KA2EUK here and been a ham since I was 14. I agree with Magicman that the best thing to do it get his license first and get to know a bunch of the local hams by perhaps joining a local club. I got my ticket when I was not even 14 and had very limited funds to spend on my gear, but much to my pleasure, I found that a lot of the guys in the club had used equipment for sale for much less than what it would cost new, and especially if they were selling it to a younger fellow that was just entering the hobby. I actually bought my Kenwood TS-940S Transceiver that is still use today for way less than half what it would have cost me new when it was only 8 months old. It has served me flawlessly for over 25 years now.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

DR_Buck

Quote from: Magicman on October 15, 2012, 01:03:59 PM
WA5IEE here, get the license first.  By then he will get to know other hams and future hams in the area.  Their suggestions and recommendations will be valuable regarding equipment and frequencies monitored.

Hey Magicman

WA5IEE isn't listed in QRZ.   Did you type your callsign wrong?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Shotgun

I don't think MM will be around for a couple of weeks, DR_Buck.  He's preoccupied at the moment.     :D

I would be surprised if you didn't hear from him when he has the time though.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Shotgun on October 17, 2012, 04:13:07 PM
I don't think MM will be around for a couple of weeks, DR_Buck.  He's preoccupied at the moment.     :D

I would be surprised if you didn't hear from him when he has the time though.

Norm

I'm sure going to miss his smiling face everyday :D

Thank You Sponsors!