iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber Banders

Started by RMay, March 17, 2004, 06:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMay

I was wondering what everyone is using to band lumber with ? metal or nylon bands . Where can you buy them  ???  ::) Baileys has one with 200 feet of banding how for would 200 ft go. ::)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Frickman

We use 3/4" steel banding and steel clips. It is sold more or less by the pound, though most of the rolls have about the same amount. Don't know how many feet on a roll, we use it till its all gone and open another roll. Most of the mines and mills around here require 3/4" steel on lumber they purchase, and they usually dictate how many bands and where they are placed.

A friend has a warehousing business where he uses green polyester banding. I think its about 5/8". It uses metal clips also. It works real well on some of the lighter loads he handles. It is much easier to work with too, and much cheaper. I've seen it in wider widths, and have considered using it on some of our bundles.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Jeff

200 feet would last us about 4 hours. Maybe.  We use 3/4 steel banding. 2 bands on a lift for most customers. Bands break. 2 is a good thing.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BW_Williams

I'm pruty sure 200' of banding would go 200'. :)
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Bibbyman

We use 5/8 X .017 metal Signode brand strap in 100lb rolls of about 3,000' length with Signode brand metal seals.  

We had used 5/8 X .020 and it worked well but only got 2,500' for about the same price as the 3,000' of the lighter stuff.  But we tend to break the .017 thick band once in a while.

We only band stuff that goes to customers that can fork off the load.  We don't generally band stuff custom sawn for customers that are going to hand load or unload.  We are using about three rolls a year and are getting it from our local Granger store.

Neatly stacked and banded lumber makes it easer to handle and a lot more professional looking job.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bull

I use the poly.... The customers like it because there is not a disposal problem... Throw it right in the trash.... Also you don't get cut when a strap lets go.......
  ArrowStar and Global have starter kits for $ 165.95
  included are the strapping cart, 1000 wing seals,crimper,cutter,tensioner..
A  9000' roll of 1/2" strapping is around $ 25.00......
A box of 2500 wing seals is around $35.00
ArrowStar-   1-800-645-2833
Global-  1-800-645-2833

I go thru a 9000'  roll in a little over year...

SawBilly

We got ours from

http://www.harborfreight.com

They have a bunch of kinds, metal, nylon...

RMay

Thanks for the response . Baileys was $400.00 for their banding kit with 200ft. of banding . I've  got a wholesaler 16 miles away wanting grade hw lumber but its got to be banded . Bibbyman how many board feet of oak can you haul on your 1 ton . 8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

RMay

Saw Billy thanks I got a strapping cart , 2pc. metal strapping set , 5/8 wide steel strapping 500ft and crimps ordered from Harborfreight  8)

Bibbyman

1,600bf of 3x4x8' oak blocking makes a pretty good load and well balanced on the 11' bed.  We'll generally stop at about 1,250 4/4 oak if there is much long stuff with 1,500bf being max. if it's 8' and shoter. If it's all 12' or 14' fencing oak,  then we'll stop at a 1,000bf or so just because all the weight is on the back axle.

There is 1,500 bf of 4/4 x 8' soft maple on the load pictured above.  It's a pretty comfortable load.
Sawing since '94

RMay

Bibbyman that is a nice looking load of lumber. I am looking at sawing some at home but I've got to deliver the lumber  :) Theres more to this to work out getting a forklift or tractor with forks, banding the lumber and buying red oak & white oak , ash logs in a pine county ::)

Bibbyman

If you don't have a loader with forks that will lift that much,  you could hand load the lumber onto the truck right off the mill and then band it.  Make sure to put it on blocking so wherever you are delivering it to can lift it off.
Sawing since '94

Sawyerfortyish

RMay it's probably as hard or harder to buy pine and hemlock in oak and hardwood country. I found I can buy pine and hemlock already cut cheaper than I can get the logs for localy.
 I have been using 5/8 metal banding and metal clips. I always had lumber laying all over the place until one of the guys working for me started banding it.Now most everything is banded and stacked up so you can dig it out in a few minutes with a forklift

karl

most everything we handle is in small amounts and /or pine that is kd and s4s or t&g so we use 1/2" poly banding and crimp clips from Papermart. Planed pine can "deck of cards" off the forks on this unlevel ground so nothing goes on the forks without a band or three! The yard stuff usually gets recycled to smaller bundles. I'd like a welder for the poly bands- but @ $ 2250.00 - :o it will wait!
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

RMay

I got a buyer for ties & better grade oak & ash lumber but not for mixed HW lumber . ::) doe's anyone no where you can get the Hardwood Market Report prices ? Sawer 40 pine logs is plentiful here the bigger mills is paying $40.00 per ton delivered to there yard  ::) four years ago it was $70.00 per ton in the woods  ???

Bibbyman

RMay,  

If they want to haul a load or two of pine up here for $40/ton,  Mary's buy.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!