iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another one to ID

Started by Ga Mtn Man, October 14, 2012, 07:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

What is it?

I can get a picture of the bark tomorrow but I figured you guys could probably ID it with just the leaves. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WDH

Probably.  The twig should be covered with noticeable little dots.  If you scratch the bark on the twig, there will be a distinct sweet/sour odor.  If you chew the leaves, they will be a little bitter and astringent. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

Yes to all three.

Thanks guys!

WDH

If you have any big logs, I want them  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

Okrafarmer

How big is big? Big enough to choke an LT-15? How about an LT-40?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

Cherry also has little black resin ducts at the point where the leaf edge meets the petiole (leaf stem). It is possible a few leaves may not. The midrib on the underside will have fine brown hairs up it.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Okra,

Big enough to choke either one will be fine  ;D.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 15, 2012, 05:18:29 AM
Cherry also has little black resin ducts at the point where the leaf edge meets the petiole (leaf stem). It is possible a few leaves may not. The midrib on the underside will have fine brown hairs up it.

I don't see either one of these. ???

WDH

The little hairs on the underside of the mid-rib are delicate, and probably did not survive the process.

Ga Mtn Man

It's about 22" diam. just above the flair.  How does that rank for a cherry tree?

WDH

#1 in my book  :D.  I covet big cherry.

SwampDonkey

What I want to know, is when are you going to mill it up. ;D

WDH

With pictures  ;D.  We know that you know how to do it  dadgum you, Charlie! .

Ga Mtn Man

It's going to be a tough one to get.  It's laying in a thicket at the bottom of a fairly steep slope.

Should be a good test for this:

(Video not suitable for young children and those with cardiac conditions ;))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXeKUHkzpEQ

WDH

All I can say is.........WOW!

Okrafarmer

Pippin says:  :o  "I'm getting one!" (famous quote from LOTR)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 17, 2012, 10:52:00 PM
(famous quote from LOTR)

Like I didn't know that. ::) ::)

Sorry Okra, but it's a one-of-a-kind North Georgia custom designed original. :) 

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on October 17, 2012, 11:06:51 PM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 17, 2012, 10:52:00 PM
(famous quote from LOTR)

Like I didn't know that. ::) ::)

Sorry Okra, but it's a one-of-a-kind North Georgia custom designed original. :)

You might know that, but not everybody does.

Pippin meant the cherry log, not the arch-- although, coming into think about it, knowing Pippin, he might be ambitious enough to get both.  ;D

Ga Mtn Man

I was talking about the cherry log. :D

Okrafarmer

Ok, the log may be one-of-a-kind, but whether that's the case or not, I'm getting ANOTHER one-of-a-kind cherry log!!!

Thank You Sponsors!