iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to clamp bar tip - Chainsawmill

Started by Danny_S, March 17, 2004, 05:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny_S

How do you fellas secure the tip of the bar on chainsaw-mill? I have a general idea, I have a oregon pro 37" bar with replaceable tip on a Husqvarna 3120. I assume I could clamp at the rivets, where the bar tip is mounted. Any feedback would be great.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Kevin

I have clamped over the rivets at the nose but it's best to get a longer bar or shorten up your cutting capacity.
If you do clamp over the rivets at the sprocket be sure to check the movement of the chain prior to milling.
If you are clamping over the rivets that secure the replaceable tip then you'll be ok.

woodbeard

I had been wondering if it would be ok to drill there. My mill frame has bolts rather than clamps. Right now it's bolted right behind the tip. Would be nice to have those extra couple inches.

Danny_S

That's great Kevin, Thanks. I was thinking that would be the spot but I thought I better double check.  I figured you would be the one to respond and tell me what was best  :)  

Danny_S

Is it possible to punch out or drill out one of the rivelts at the end of the bar where it hooks on? I dont like the thought of just being clamped. A pin through the bar is better insurance for me that it wont slip. I drilled the other end and put a 1/4 bolt through it.

Kevin

You could but I've never had the clamp slip.
I just make sure both ends of the clamp are even and parallel with the bar.
If you tighten one side more than the other then one end of the clamp will apply more pressure than the other and it could slip.

Thank You Sponsors!