iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting nails

Started by ladylake, October 13, 2012, 01:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamish

Quote from: ladylake on October 16, 2012, 07:07:16 PM

I called up Lennox today, the tech guy said no blade will cut those beams.  Steve

You may want to try calling and getting another "tech" guys help.  The vast majority of the bandsaw industry is metal cutting.  Few 1-800 tech guys know more that whats in there companies "guide to cutting and troubleshooting manual".

Lenox makes several bands that could do that job, not to mention many other manufacturers.

The bigest difference between cutting wood and metal is the tpi and feed rates, one just needs to find the happy medium.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

ladylake

If I could get my saw down to 100 fpm (that would take major work)
I'd guess a metal cutting blade would work but be real slow.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Axe Handle Hound

Quote from: drobertson on October 16, 2012, 07:38:59 PM
I guess the next question should be what finising process will be performed, not a planner for sure....

The very idea just gave me cold sweats.   :o

Al_Smith

I was a little concerned myself about the very idea of running a plank through a planner that was full of tramp metal .

ladylake

He was planning on using them for a post frame building, no planing.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

beenthere

So ladylake, are you going to give it a try?

Any idea what the limit is on what the customer will be willing to pay?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Say I did a little research on this and found that Simonds makes a blade called a pallet buster which is evidently a bi-metal type that is made to cut nails .

I doubt it's a real smooth cut but it is a cut never the less .

I've not seen the tooth blade nail cutter design as the local pallet works uses abrasive bands .Try as I might I could not find them in "Google " land .

drobertson

Well if they are just beams, as is condition, why not figure a way to split them, with splitting wedges the old fashion way.  It would be labor intensive, depending on who was watching and holding and who was doing the swinging, but if they are reclaimed at least this much overhead cost is out of the way.  If it could be figured out how to grab the beams,(tongs, grippers,ect.) fix a channel jig with a fixed wedge,maybe a tractor could pull the beams through while splitting, only issue is how many nails?  maybe have a sawzall handy, Sometimes reclaiming gets into more work than the resulting project is worth.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Weezer

At least you know what you're getting in advance. Spent an hour sharpening a friends shingle mill blade this morning, loaded up, and took it to the show. 1st log, not even 1/2 way thru 1st pass, the sparks flew. 4  10 penny nails.  >:( Why oh why didn't I bring my metal detector???? Worst part was having to swallow hard and smile for the crowd. Aw shucks just don't cut it sometimes. Gonna need a torch to cut shingles soon.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Weezer,

If the shingle logs all had that much metal in them you might as well just use sheetmetal on the roof.

Herb

jcbrotz

Inquiring minds still want to know WHY? :-X :D
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

hamish

Its not a big deal its just a bunch of nails....................stop thinking of cutting wood and think about the methods of cutting metal.  Its no different than cutting oak versus cedar, feed rate, tpi and set.

Weezer

:D :D :D :D :D Nice one PC!!! :D :D :D :D :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on October 21, 2012, 03:27:01 PM
Weezer,

If the shingle logs all had that much metal in them you might as well just use sheetmetal on the roof.

Herb

Have ya'll ever put on a metal roof and find a piece of wood in it? Make ya mad every time.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

steamsawyer

David, don't you just hate when that happens?
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Weezer

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! You got me to laugh out loud on Monday morning! That NEVER happens...........

dboyt

Is that like finding a hare in your rabbit stew?

I clicked on the Menominee Saw link in the sponsors column and found several possible blades.  If possible, you want a 7/8" pitch, so that it will cut wood-- otherwise, it is like trying to cut a 2x4 with a hack saw.  The lenox bi metal blade might be worth trying http://www.menomineesaw.com/app/inventoryapp/bandsaws/inventory_view/2-15-20-1.html.  Since they deal with several manufacturers, they should be in a good position to make a recommendation.

I sold one walnut slab, an will likely sell the rest of them.  I'll use a drum sander instead of a planer to surface them.  It'll take time, hope it is worth it.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

hamish

Steve,

Have you cut anymore of those beams?

Is you mill manual? or can it be made manual vs power feed?

What is your band engagement rpm?

Do you have a picture of the "customers" first band after the cut?

There are many option, we just need to fill in all the variables.

Jeremy

ladylake

No haven't cut any more after the tech at Lennox told me no blade on a bandsaw would do it. Mine is power feed, slow as I want. My motor idles about 1000 RPM and a little over 3000 RPM full throttle, wouldn't have any power at idle and still too fast for a metal cutting blade. No pics of the band but the tips of the teeth were flat.  Steve

hamish

Steve,

get in touch with Redbeard, he has cut exactly what you are cutting and he used................https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,48568.0.html

Also try Dan Fernandes at Lenox, he posts on FF but for the life of me cant remember his handle.

Thank You Sponsors!