iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Green Horn

Started by Buddyw, October 12, 2012, 04:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddyw

Hi everyone, I am as green as they come so expect a lot of dump or stupid questions. LOL ...  I have always been interested in logging and sawmilling and kind of wanted to get into it some how.  Well  all my life I have been a mechanic on equipment mostly utility equipment like bucket trucks and heavy equipment like dozers and crawler cranes.  in fact I started collecting and restoring antique construction equipment nearly 15 years ago . I have in my collection 5 crawler cranes 2 dozers 2 graders and a bunch of farm equipment mostly what we had when we were farming. Well I came across a guy whos health was fading and he wanted to sell his sawmill. So , I went on and bought it hope I did not make too much of a booboo. LOL .  This mill is a Lane mill. He was powering it with a W40 McCormick tractor. I got the mill and tractor for only 400 bucks. He also had a Farmall Super M with a thrown rod (did not hurt block) I got that too for free . LOL...   My question right out of the box , Lane sawmills , any good ?  I know it is a little late to ask since I already bought it but , I just had to. I have 2 nice Murphy Diesel power units to pick from that I plan to use dont think much of the tractors. Well , what do you pros think ?  any suggestions well be more than welcome.

Okrafarmer

Welcome to the forum, Buddy! Sounds like you got a deal on the sawmill, any time you can buy a complete mill for $400 I'd say you haven't done too badly. Since that is probably similar to scrap price, anyway, I don't see how you could go wrong! I don't know anything about the Lane mills, someone else will chime in.

If you don't want those tractors, I'll take them, dead or alive. I'm a bit of a tractor nut myself, would love to have a W-40.

What dozers do you have? I love dozers, too.

Where do you live?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

drobertson

I would say if you have not been in the sawmill business, get some help from those that have been.  the money spent sounds well worth it, Most likely scrap prices will cover the bill. Get some good advice follow it and it will work.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Okrafarmer

When you consider the two tractors he got along with the mill, it is plenty lower than scrap price.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

dgdrls

Welcome aboard BuddyW. 

Lots of circle mills here,  Lane equipment is now here
Bornemann & Greene located at 33 Foundry St Morrisville VT 05661,
phone 8028883311.

Search the board for a fellow named Lyle Niemi :),
he too went in feet first with a circle mill and has some great posts!!
DGDrls

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum from here too.

You are a lucky guy, IMO.

8)

Here is a some good reading of basic things to do with circular mills.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf

Also, lots of good material if you use the search feature for past posts from members here.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Buddyw. :)
Sounds like you are committed to sawmilling now, with your Lane purchase. I think you made out great for $400. All the other heavy equipment in your yard will prove to be a valuable and useful asset, too. 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ron Wenrich

A Lane mill is as good as any other.  In 2004 they sold out to Meadows Mills.  Meadows is still in business, in case you need parts or assistance. 

There are no dumb or stupid questions.  Some times the answers might not be up to snuff, though.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Magicman

I can not help you with your sawmill questions, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum,   Buddyw.   :)

The only dumb question is an unasked question.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sawdust Lover

Welcome to the forum Buddy! If your mill didn't come with an operators manual you have one here. Just ask the question and you will get all the right answers. Well, maybe 95% right.

bandmiller2

Welcome buddy,you must be somewhere up here in the northeast Lane mill usally don't stray far from home. Lane mills are right up with the better built mills.You could not find a better power plant than a murphy diesel they just loaf along a little over an idle and have the torque so valuable on a circular mill.Do you know which model Lane you have.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

BuddyW,I was going to tell you the mill and tractors are no good, send them to Chesterville,Maine. But that would be no way to welcome a new member.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, BuddyW.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Welcome!  No question is stupid if you do not know the answer. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on October 12, 2012, 09:56:18 PM
Welcome!  No question is stupid if you do not know the answer.

Well then, where do you live Buddy?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Migal

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, 8) Lots of Circular mill imformation going on right now in Sawmills and Milling post's. 400 can't go wrong for sure show us pic's you have to create a gallery then when adding just click my gallery and play around a bit then Preview and cut out any double posts LOL This has been the most wonderful web sight that I have found for information on your not sick wood is addicting when sawn!  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

fat olde elf

Welcome !! Your equipment mechanic background puts you way ahead of a lot of us including me !!  This forum is the hands down best place for info in the world...... Good luck to you.........Paul R.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

mad murdock

Welcome Buddy! Major score, IMO! Let the fun begin. Beware there is no cure for the illness with which you have been infected, but it will have many positive side effects :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ianab

To put your purchase in perspective. $400 is the price of new saw blade for a 10" Lucas sawmill..... Never mind the rest of the sawmill.  :D

I suspect the old guy sold them to you for a token payment because he wanted to see them used again, and not just hauled off for scrap?

Anyway, no reason you can't get it all up and running again. Those circle mills are pretty simple mechanically, and it's cut wood just fine for decades, no reason it can't continue to do so. If you have a mechanical inclination you should be able to keep it running just fine. A circle mill might have a bit steeper learning curve than the smaller portable band mills and swing blades that many of us run, but it's old established technology. If it worked 50 years ago, it will still work today.

Did anyone mention we like pictures?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Buddyw

Thanks guys for the good replies. Makes me feel good knowing I did not make a mistake buying the Lane mill.  I will try to answer some questions that was ask. I do have a few pictures of this mill taken last week end after we got it loaded onto trailers. I will have to get my wife to do the picture thing on here for me since I am limited with computer smarts. LOL.. S

Buddyw

Sorry about having to start over on my post . See I did something wrong already with computer. Someone ask where I lived, well I am in Virginia. I forgot to mention yesterday that I won't be getting nothing done with this mill project or any other project for a good while .  I just had sholder surgury last Tuesday and will be sitting on my butt for months , so they say .. I am trying to gather as much information as I can so I will be some what prepaired for milling. LOL ...  I will be on and off this site to ask questions as they pop into my head.   I did notice that their was one guy that answered my post , he was in Virginia also. Williamsville , I know of a Williamsville , Va. Might be neighbors..   Thanks again of ALL the good answers to my first post.

Magicman

Go to your profile and add as much information as you wish to share.  Things like location and sawing equipment.  It will really help when others are answering questions or giving advice.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lyle niemi

Welcome to the site, Im a green horn myself

beenthere

Buddy
For picture posting help, and while you are recovering from the surgery (do ALL of the physical therapy as suggested), here is a link to some help. Pretty straight forward and not hard.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56957.0.html

Will be glad to answer any questions.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Buddyw

My computer wiz wife got some pictures of my mill in the gallery. Pleae take a look and tell me what you can about my purchase.   I will also get her to add some pictures of the W40 tractor that came with it as soon as she has time to upload or download whatever all that means .LOL .. 

Thank You Sponsors!