iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

can anybody ID this

Started by pasbuild, October 11, 2012, 10:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasbuild

This plant is in Baraga County in the U P of Michigan, its next to a friends camp and he thinks its a non-native  can anybody tell him what it is?

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

SwampDonkey

Looks non native. But at the same time resembles witch hazel species hamamelis. Our native witch hazels are rugose and wavy edged and have seed pods, not fleshy fruit. Usually flower in late fall or early spring when everything else is dormant. I don't see them much, but I was on a site further south here in NB and it was mixed in with the beaked hazels.

I don't know what it is.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

My first impressions were either witch hazel or beaked hazelnut.  The leaf margins are not right, though. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

I looked at this last night but did not respond because I wanted to think about it some more. It's funny, my first impression when I saw the pictures was witch-hazel, but like the others said, the leaf margins just aren't right. I'm stumped as well.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Sprucegum

Well if the guys that usually know evrything don't know anything - I am proud to say I don't know anything either  8)  :D

I looks like one of those ornamental Chinese dollar trees.

ely

im going with elm, ;D
but i always say elm.

DanG

Elm is good.  It is easy to type, as is oak.  It may be an Oak Elm.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Sprucegum,

You are in good company  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Clark

I'm thinking leatherwood, Dirca palustris, it's got that look to me.  The real giveaway is to look on the stem and see if there are little ridges of bark that encircle the stem.  I'm pretty sure that they form a ridge every year when growth commences.  The other clue is if you try to break a twig off and it won't snap no matter how many times you twist it.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

SwampDonkey

I think in this shrub the leaves are finely serrate and round tipped. Leatherwood is pointy tipped and not serrated. Good stab at it though.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Clark

Good stab, SD?  It's an excellent stab because...(drum roll, please)...it's correct!

More seriously I don't see the pointed tips or fine serrations.  Check out wikipedia's pictures for leatherwood:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirca_palustris

The similarities are too many to ignore.  Maybe pasbuild could get back to us and see if some of the distinguishing features for leatherwood are present or not.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

SwampDonkey

Sorry, but I disagree with leatherwood. ;D It is close. In the drawing on WIki you will see leatherwood is pointed on the tip and leaf is entire. I can see fine teeth, but maybe I'm looking too hard at a blurred photo. :D

Jeff

I don't think it is leatherwood either.  Since I'm in the U.P., I've been on the look out for the plant over here on my daily hikes and hunts since "Thee Bob" posted it. So far I've not found anything similar.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pasbuild

Sorry for the poor picture (cheap phone) I didn't examine the plant any more then to just look at it and take the pic, the leaf appeared to have smooth edges and the bark was light in color. Matt, the owner of the camp is third generation of land management of 11,000 acres of forested property, he is out in the woods every day and has noticed this shrub recently in more then one place, the concern is weather this shrub is invasive and / or harmful to there land.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 13, 2012, 10:45:34 AM
I can see fine teeth, but maybe I'm looking too hard at a blurred photo. :D

I definitely don't see any teeth in pasbuild's photo. You need to squint harder, SD ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

:) Can see about anything when it's blurred.

Remember the movie "My Cousin Vinny"? The old lady in court on the witness stand could see lots of stuff when it was blurred. :D

grweldon

I love that movie!  One of my favorites!

Vinny in his very best New York City accent: "Now these two utes..."

Fred Qwinn (the judge): "What the hell is a ute?"

Vinny:  "Youths....that's what I said!  Utes..."
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

WDH

I can't see any toothyness, either. 

Reddog

Quote from: pasbuild on October 14, 2012, 01:52:46 AM
Matt, the owner of the camp is third generation of land management of 11,000 acres of forested property

Bob, I would agree if Matt or Benny have not seen it before that is odd for it show up now.

They could start here and get it pushed up the ladder to the USDA for identifying.
Baraga County Extension
Courthouse Annex, 12 North 3rd Street
L'Anse, Michigan
49946-1002

906-524-6300

isawlogs

I would go with leather wood also.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Reddog

Okay Bob,
After some digging it looks to be Glossy Buckthorn, Frangula alnus Mill

Two of my books show leaves that look like your pics. The ones on the usda page aren't as clear.

Looks to be moving Matt's way from Marquette. The second link shows the Mi map.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=FRAL4

http://plants.usda.gov/java/county?state_name=Michigan&statefips=26&symbol=FRAL4

SwampDonkey

Here are some more leaf shapes of the glossy buckthorn from an Ontario site.

http://ontariotrees.com/main/species.php?id=2023

Seems Bob's leaves have very short petioles or almost none and the base is V shaped in comparison to buckthorn. Branching habit is different to. The buckthorn is more dogwood like. Bob's plant reminds me of hazel or fly honeysuckle branch habit. Still a mystery. ;D

pasbuild

I would have to agree with SD on this one, I saw this plant earlier this summer and the leaves were very much the light green that you see in my pic and they were not glossy and they don't come to a point like the buckthorn. I'll have Matt look at this post next time he's at the mill and add his input.

Reddog

Here is another thread on Glossy Buckthorn.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=45754.0

If you don't think that is what it is then the Ext agency is going to be the best bet to positive ID it.

Thank You Sponsors!