iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Preparing deer meet

Started by D L Bahler, October 11, 2012, 08:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D L Bahler

Now that I've finally had the chance to get out and go hunting, and knowing there are 3 does at least in the area worth shooting for food, plus mr. enormous buck, it's got me thinking of what there is to do with that meet.

In particular I am fond of various sausages, and like making my own food. SO I was wondering, do yall have any good recipes for deer sausage (with our without other meet mixed) besides the pre-mixed spices, and also if you have some nice jerky cures (for real dried and smoked sliced jerky, not that ground up wannabe stuff) I appreciate anything you all would be willing to share.

This is especially inspired by the fact that I like to smoke my hunting clothes (together with burning fires of the same wood in the area for a long period before hunting season) to hide my scent instead of the strange modern chemical scent blockers (it works, and it works well. So protected, I have never had a deer snort off because he smelled my me-ness). So sitting here in my hunting clothes, I smell kind of like a good sausage! food6 musteat_1 food6

Chuck White

I think that Cabela's has recipes available in their catalog section where the grinders, slicers, etc are sold!

My brother makes some, which is pretty good stuff!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sbishop

Good luck deer hunting!

If you need a good jerky recipe, PM me and i'll share you mind. I use real meat, cut into strips, cured for 48hrs and smoked for 6-7hrs. Nice and chewy!

Sbishop

beenthere

Real meat?   ::) ::)

;D ;D

What is "non-real meat" ??  Must be like hamburger helper?

Just teasing, but raised a question in my mind.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sbishop

:D

What i mean was not using hamburger for jerky....AKA Real meat.... ;D

Speaking of jerky, just took a load out of the smoker yesterday...half is gone already! Half of it i put a dustin of cayenne pepper before i put it in the smoker.... smiley_fireman_hat smiley_fireman_hat smiley_fireman_hat

I uually use a piece of eye of round...they make nice long strips!

Sbishop

bama20a

I make alot of Jerkey from Deer meat,Must be good because it don't last long around here ;D,
I've tried it many ways over the years,But the way I do it now has been the best I've come up with.
slice the meat thin as you can get it,Soak it in ice water to draw out the blood.
Draining the water at least twice
Then I take a sauce, Dales or Moore's (Moores if you can find it is better IMO,)not as strong.
After draining the ice water off, In a large pan pour the sauce (I use the whole bott- ) finsh filling the pan with beer, & let it soak at least over night.
Don't worry you won't have a bunch of druck kids running around ;D :D ;DThe beer help tenderize the meat.
Then smoke it as you normal would.

It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

D L Bahler

soaking wild meet in milk is a trick we have from way back. Milk will draw the blood out more effectively than water, and will remove a good deal of the wild flavor. We always soak fish in milk, unless it's spring fish that we know is going to be top quality.

What cuts do you all use for jerky?

Thank You Sponsors!