iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Location of hydraulic controls

Started by WoodenHead, October 11, 2012, 08:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

If you had the choice where would your hydraulic control valves be?  I'm getting closer to adding hydraulics to my manual mill.  I can mount the valves where they are typically located, but is there a better place? Maybe the best place isn't even on the mill.  I thought I would ask and see if there are any opinions on this.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You are probably your best advisor.  :)

What ever is comfortable to you. But I would put them where I have a clear view of what I am applying hydraulics to.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Migal

You could use quick coupler's and have many options IMO mine are located at the front of the mill and are stationary when I say front it is the back side of the blade LM 2
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

hackberry jake

Mine are towards the back of the blade as well. Thought about mounting them next to the turner but Was afraid of a stray log hitting them. You will want them away from danger.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

Once you have run it for a while you will know the best spot.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WoodenHead

I'm generally stationary, so I thought I would open up the possibilities a bit.  I find that the winch for the present manual log turner (where the hydraulic controls normally would be) is aggrivatingly low (i.e. an ergonomics issue).  The valves then would also be a bit too low for my liking.  Does anyone with a hydraulic mill find this annoying?  Or do you get used to it? 

hackberry jake

I made a bracket to mount mine on hat comes up to about my belly button. It put the valves at just the right spot. It's kinda like standing up and playing a video game. When I first got the system working I rolled the same cedar log around about a dozen times just because I thought it was fun  8) try doing that with a cant hook just for the fun of it.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WoodenHead

Good idea Hackberry.  I could easily raise things up a bit, but it conflicts with another goal of mine.  Since I work alone I typically move material off the mill from the operators side and over top of the tongue.  I have the wall of a building beside me as I move with the sawhead otherwise I would do things differently.  So the main avenue for removing slabs, flitches and boards is over the tongue (and the winch/area where the valves usually are).

I just finished watching a video of a TimberKing 2000 mill.  The swinging head gave me an idea...   

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 11, 2012, 09:26:38 PM
try doing that with a cant hook just for the fun of it.

Not to bad if you use a LOGRITE.  :)

hackberry jake

Poston, does that mean you are gunna sell off all of the parts from your hydraulic turned and buy more logrites? 8) ;D :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 11, 2012, 10:02:21 PM
Poston, does that mean you are gunna sell off all of the parts from your hydraulic turned and buy more logrites?

say_what     NO

hackberry jake

Thank You Sponsors!