iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Our Re-saw attachment

Started by Fla._Deadheader, March 17, 2004, 01:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

This rig worked real well. We were sawing 1" Cypress into 2 3/8" boards. Had to make 2 passes.

The wheel holds down the bowed board and even holds down a cupped board, so we get a nice flat cut.  One bolt takes the bracket off the sawhead.

We used a 12" piece of "Mel-board", so the wood slides real easy. An Aluminum angle, 1" X 1" X 1/16" holds the board straight. If we had a power feed, there is no telling how many bdft a day we could saw. ;D

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jason_WI

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Fla._Deadheader

Jason, the idea is good, but, we had some thick-n-thin boards. Some were 1", others were 1ΒΌ". Makes it DanG tough to shove 'em through when they are that much different. ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

rbarshaw

I like it alot. Is that a spring I see for down pressuer on the wheel?
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Fla._Deadheader

YEP, it mashes the warp and bow outta the boards. One half the wheel rides in the center of a 6" board. Actually worked better than we had planned ::) ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jason_WI

Make an arm that pivots up/down and use two snowmobile suspension springs to apply downforce. Use turnbuckles to adjust the down pressure applied.

The only problem I see is finding snowmobile suspension springs in Florida ;D ;D

They look like this:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=05303&store=Main&productId=p05303&catId=308&leafCatId=30805

They come in left and right hand configurations. I might have some on our junk pile that might work....

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Fla._Deadheader

Do Jet Ski's got suspension springs ??? ??? ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Jet-skis have hydraulic suspension. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pasbuild

I'm guessing that there are overhead garage doors in Fl. find an old used spring and make your own. We use the old springs to make replacements for the plow trucks.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Norm

Nice job on the resaw attachment Harold (and Ed). You guys never cease to amaze me with your yankee ingenuity.

Fla._Deadheader

We finished the re-saw job, about 1 hour ago. The boards were stacked inside a metal building. We had to back a pick-up into the building and hand load the truck. Then, outside and back up to the log loader. We sorted the boards for edge bowing and placed those aside. We then edged all the boards to a common width.

After getting a good size stack of boards edged, we put on the Re-saw attachment and ran all the boards through 1 time. We then took a break from sawing and ran the finished boards inside and stacked them. Loaded another load and back to the mill. Sorted, edged and ran the 1 cut through. We stacked the left over boards to run later.

That's how we did the whole job. A LOT of hand loading ::) ::)

We counted the job as 2--3/8" boards = 1X. We made 2 cuts flatways to get that. We ended up with 1870 bdft. We figured 100 bd ft for the edging and that's how we will charge.

We took this job 11 months ago, before we actually knew what we were getting into.  We used the common number of .20 a bdft to saw, after reading that's what most of y'all charge.  We now get .35 and will not go lower.  We felt obligated to do this job for the original estimate. The customer will need more lumber in the future and guess who he is going to call  ;D ;D ;D

Did I mention that the attachment worked REAL well ;D ;D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

beav

that guy's lucky. i charge-for milling-by the bdft down to 1", then by the surface-foot under 1" :o. what if the guy wanted 1/8 veneers or sumptin ???

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

shopteacher

Nice job FDH.  How about a feeder on a spring loaded arm that would allow thicker and thiner boards to be fed through it.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

Don'T plan on doing this very often. We ARE in the log recovery business ::) ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

ADfields

I just got a book in the mail today that had your re-saw attachment for under 4 bucks. ;) :D :D :D   Is it a bushing or bearing in that roller ???
Andy

Fla._Deadheader

It's a bearing.  That book wood'nt be from New Braska, wood it ???  :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!