iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GOOD ROPE

Started by musky111, March 17, 2004, 07:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musky111

were can a guy find a place to buy some good thick .625 to .750 rope.  i have looked at menards, northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company here in mn, and have only found .500 thick.  would like something heavier for cutting down trees.  have a few that i'm going to need to pull a little with my truck to get them where i need them to fall.  i don't really like the wire cable,  any suggestions?? and 100' of chain would be expensive i think. :D

Tom

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

MrMoo

shopteacher

Try MSC they have 11 different rope types. Example:  three braid 3/4" nylon  .98 per/ft.
http://www.mscdirect.com/
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Stephen_Wiley

Hey Musky,

Just wanted to say always be confident and comfortable in the tools you choose. And be aware or willing to learn safe techniques of their use, along with their limitations.

Nylon and Poly/amended ropes can have their working loads reduced by the knots you apply. Further, by using a pickup you can exceed their shear strength.

I am not saying they will not work, just that the method you use to pull will significantly impact their strength. Best to keep that in mind for further use.

Wire rope is designed with greater stress abilities.  But if your not comfortable in its use, don't use it.

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

musky111

stephen would you recomend wire cable over rope? i do see your  point about having a higher strength.  i'm just not as familiar with using it.  so i'm open to suggestion's. never had to drop a tree that is so so close to hanging up in another tree. thought pulling with my truck and rope would work?  but would like to know more about the cable.

thanks

Thank You Sponsors!