iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Overspalted maple

Started by haywire woodlot, October 08, 2012, 09:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haywire woodlot

I opened up a chunk of maple I had laying around for a while today. I guess I waited to long, only 20% of it was usable. the rest was already rotten. In the last photo I could easily poke my lock blade right into the cant. I did get a couple of neat looking pieces out of it though.

Dave

opticsguy

Looks familiar to many logs i have cut.  Used to be "wowed" by the sight of spalting, kind of like hitting gold.  Now a little more mature about what is good wood, I find my soft spalted maple on the fire pile.   There was a very large Maple blown over in the 1990 winter storm, sat there untill I hauled it out of the woods 18 years later and had a sawyer cut it for me.  Got a lot of very solid wood out of the tree despite being able to push my finger one to two inches into the side of the wood.  You just never know whats inside.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

5quarter

I love spalted wood too. y'know, if you ever cut something that is just freaky gorgeous but too soft to do anything with, you can have it stabilized. comes back a shade darker, but is easily machinable. no finishing either as the wood is permeated by acrylic resin. Not practical for lumber, but wonderful for pen blanks, turning blocks, knife scales, gunstocks etc...
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

redbeard

Iam also into spalted maple and Alder beauitiful colors in them. looks like you got some good heart wood on the red maple. Blades sure last alot longer milling spalted wood.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

jim blodgett

"Southern Vancouver Island", "Bellingham", "Oak Harbor"..."spalted maple"

I'm seeing a connection here.

haywire woodlot

"Southern Vancouver Island", "Bellingham", "Oak Harbor"..."spalted maple"

I'm seeing a connection here.

It's coastal climate with normally ideal conditions for rotting wood :)
Dave

redbeard

I find in my experimenting with trying to spalt logs the shorter the length the further the spalt will travel  through the log evenly. So even though the ends are getting pretty punky theres some nice stuff in there. Heres some alder 10' and 12' lengths you can see in the 12' there is a couple feet that spalt hasent reached in the middle, but the 10' its fairly consistant. 16"-18" alder logs 10' in length seem to work the best I just pile them up and turn them in 6 months log on the loader arms is 2 yrs old.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

beenthere

Curious to the foggy pics. Are they from a cell phone or is it just that foggy?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redbeard

Its the camera on phone need to get new one soon. We do get alot of fog this time of year.

Thank You Sponsors!