iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alaskan Mill

Started by martyinmi, October 08, 2012, 09:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyinmi

The saw that my BIL gave me ended up being a Homelite 1050 Automatic. He and I were talking about how it's not really that useful anymore. I suggested we try our hand at using it for an Alaskan Mill, and after explaining what an Alaskan Mill was, he jumped on board. He has two very large Cottonwood trees in his woods, as well as quite a few Poplars anywhere from 20" - 30". I've got a few good sized Ash we can play with also. I'd like to purchase a bar and chain in the 36" range.

What do you folks recommend for a bar and chain for the 1050? And also, what brand of Alaskan Mill would work best for a couple of first timers who will probably just do it as a hobby for a few weekends then set it in the corner to collect dust? Can we get something fairly descent (mill and rails) for less than $1000.00? Would Baileys carry everything we need?

I've watched a few videos where the guys were milling softer woods with a smaller saw than the 1050, and they were zipping through fairly quick.

I'm really looking forward to getting started. We've only got about 800 acres of hay to chop in the next day or two and then our busy season will be about over and the milling preparations can begin. 8)

Thanks in advance!

No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

tomkat001

I have a aluminum 9 ft. rail that is near new. I used it on 3 logs. I think it was $179 new.
I would like to get $125
Boardwalk Jr. , JD 5075E with 553 loader, Stihl 290 Farm Boss,

mad murdock

Use the forum search tool and type in CSM or Chainsaw mill.  There are several threads on the subject that will prove useful to you in deciding how to go about it.  Using a Chainsaw to mill can be rewarding, but you will not be able to perform with any type of real production.  It is more for the hobbyins, or the occasional miller.  I have done it enough to figure out ways to make it work for me, so it is still worth it over buying another type of higher production mill, (band or swingmill).  Chain type and cutter angle is important to yield consistent results and eliminate frustration.  What size bar does the saw have now? Granberg, or Baileys, sells bars that you can use with the mill.  Get a mill setup that will work for the bar you have, or get a mill that will fit the average size logs you plan on milling.  A 1050 is a pretty good sized saw, so you should have no problem running a 36" mill IMO.  Good luck and post pics :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Al_Smith

As I type Baileys in fact has 36" Windsor bars on sale in Stihl  mount sizes .They would have to adapted using some type spacers which is not all that difficult .FWIW I run a 36" Windsor Stihl mount on a 2100 Homelite .

Anyone interested it's item number WF 36HU63TA

limbrat

Becareful alaskan mill are nothing but stepping stones to larger mills. ;D After you get your basic mill parts go to the local mobile home supply and get a bundle of hardwood shims. You can screw or nail through them and they are great for getting your ladder or what ever your running the mill on flat for your first pass. I pull a string line on the ladder for the first pass and i like to run it parallel to the heart or pith. After the first pass keep using the ladder or a wide piece of plywood, it is usaly a smoother surface to run the mill on than the cut. I like to cut with the top of the blade it seems to cut a little faster and it pushes the chips away instead of pulling them into you.

Good luck and this site is the place to get information on mills, saws, and log handeling.
ben

Thank You Sponsors!