iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EZ JR Observations

Started by xulgiy, October 08, 2012, 09:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xulgiy

Hello all you EZ owners.  Lets see.  I have owned my JR with the 14hp Sub for about 3 months now, love the unit, and I have a few observations / questions for you all.  First.... my Subaru came with electric start but no battery box or leads.  Any thoughts on where to mount a box and battery?  Next...  Short logs.  I have gotten a hold of a bunch of 6 foot locust logs that I'm milling for various "stuff".  Has anyone purchased an additional set of dogs for their mill to help hold those stubby swingers?  Finally, I'm not too sure I have the back wheels and track catch set properly.  When I push the saw, I seem to get a bit of wobble on the whole frame, and it also seems front heavy like it wants to flip forward.  The back right wheel barely rolls when I saw.  Should I bring that wheel down more in contact?  It seems to me that if I put it down much more it will bring the track catch right to the frame?  It just may be the way it is....any thoughts?  I don't think it affects the cutting t all, everything is straight.

Thanks!!       

hackberry jake

When I first got my saw, I had it detached from the truck sitting on its axle. My brother wanted to see how the carriage moved back and forth. He got it past the axle and the whole thing teeter totterd backward. The carriage slammed the stop and came off the tracks. Ever since then the back wheel seemed as you say. It just barely touched. I blamed it on the run away. I put a 20hp Honda on it with a 8 gallon fuel tank and battery and th added weight fixed the problem. I hope this helps. You might add some weight to that leg. The added weight. Also makes it easier to maintain a constant speed in the cut.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

xulgiy

Interesting.  I'll try that.  Where did you mount your Battery?

Thanks,

John

hackberry jake

I made a wooden tray for it to sit on and attached it to the right of the lube tank. If you are looking at it from the back

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

xulgiy

Got ya...Thanks for your input!

John

EZland

I have only had my mill for  a month and rocked back and forth some while on the track too. It also had the right rear wheel would not come in contact with the track.   I leveled it and leveled it.  The track was level , but the carriage was not perfectly level.  Bottom-line that wheel needed to be lowered.  Must have been bumped in shipping.  sounds like  you have the same issue.  It stopped once I adjusted it. 

The battery box, no clue I have the honda 13 hp, pull start. 

Man, I have been tempted to add more weight to the carriage.  Seems lights.  What did you add for weight? 

Shorts,  I add a 8' crap to the right side of the short logs to keep it stable.  I can't figture how to mount another dog with out getting in way. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

xulgiy

Yeah, I adjusted it once when I got it.  Ed said it may have to be done.  I'll weld up a box and bolt, drill and thread it to the back right frame.  I'll see if the battery and the box add enough weight to keep that wheel tight and lower the wheel again to level it all.

PS I milled on my friends 1985 Lt 40.  we had all sorts of issues with bad cutting and wire shorts.  I rewired a bunch of feed wires and tweaked a few things to get it to cut straight.  We joked about how EZ my mill was to run.  He and I both decided with cutting white pine, my mill ran faster.  I love my mill!

Thanks you guys!

hackberry jake

I have four sets of dogs. I cut the dogs off of two of them when I added my hudraulic turner( just use the backstop part of them). I have the other two set as close as you can we then just for shorter logs.

EZland

Jake, where did you mount the two close together?  Do they fold down all the way?  or did you remove one of the log rollers. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

EZland

Oh yea, I have another question?  Are you using a different blade set for hardwood and pine?  If so, what set for each? 

hackberry jake

I have enough track to cut over 22'. I put the two hyd backstops in about the middle with the two manual backstop/clamps down at the far end.

Thank You Sponsors!