iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help me mod my MS460

Started by Madman_Mark, October 07, 2012, 08:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman_Mark

I have an MS460 with only about 30 tanks of gas through it. The warranty has now expired so I want to mod it and get a few more hp out of it. Whats the easiest way....a muffler mod ? Any suggestions. I mainly use this saw with a chainsaw mill and for blocking my firewood,I run a 28 inch bar on it.

JohnG28

Does it have a dual port muffler? I got one recently and had the DP before I ran it. Should be the easiest extra power you'll get.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

AdkStihl

Open up the existing exhaust port from 3/8" dia to 3/4" to start with (thats free).
If you want bolt on power.......purchase the dual port muffler cover.
J.Miller Photography

joe_indi

Open up the outlet on the muffler to 1".
Enlarge the holes on the metal screen or cut off a portion.
MS460 has a 0.68 fixed jet.Replace it with the 0.70 of the 460 Magnum.
Mark the position of the ignition module.
Remove it and use a round file to widen the mounting holes so that you can push the module away from the mark by a degree to advance the ignition timing.

The HP will not increase, but what these mods will do is make the the saw more "torquey"

Joe

Compensation

I found a guy on ebay that did my mufflers. He welded stainless ports in. Then a local 2stroke expert did my carb and tuned it. I remember seeing my reflection in a piece of the carb before he put it on. The saw now has a 36" bar and doesn't feel overworked at all. It also gives off a erie sound that will attract attention. Have yet to have a problem with any of the saws that has been worked on.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Al_Smith

There's pros' and cons' to advancing the timing and a subject few agree with .Generally speaking a majoriy of Stihls are at about 9.5 to 1 trapped comp ratio and set at 27 degrees advance .Probabley at stock comp ratios a degree to 2 advance would help .However if you raise the comp ratio too much advance will work against you .Also altitude has a lot to do with it  .What might run great in western Ohio at elevation 850 might not do so good in the Colorado mountains at 8,000 feet .

For example the Lombard Al-42 series engines were relatively low compression and they ran at 35 degrees advance .

As far as what method to use a filed key probabley is as easy to do as filing out the lamenation slots .If it doesn't work just replace the key .

AdkStihl

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 11, 2012, 06:32:20 AM
There's pros' and cons' to advancing the timing and a subject few agree with .Generally speaking a majoriy of Stihls are at about 9.5 to 1 trapped comp ratio and set at 27 degrees advance .Probabley at stock comp ratios a degree to 2 advance would help .However if you raise the comp ratio too much advance will work against you .Also altitude has a lot to do with it  .What might run great in western Ohio at elevation 850 might not do so good in the Colorado mountains at 8,000 feet .

For example the Lombard Al-42 series engines were relatively low compression and they ran at 35 degrees advance .

As far as what method to use a filed key probabley is as easy to do as filing out the lamenation slots .If it doesn't work just replace the key .

I second the key filing.......I would rather replace a key than an ignition module. But dont feel that advanced timing is necessary in this case.
Just do a muffler mod IMO. Also, there have been instances where installing an HD2 filter from STIHL will also provide noticable gains in torque & upwards of 500 RPM in the cut.
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Yes indeedy it's just a bad to choke off the incoming air as it is to choke down the exhaust .

Madman_Mark

Sounds like the muffler mod is the way to go. The current muffler only has a single port on it. Its the MS 460 Magnum,I guess thats what they come with.

Fifelaker

Before you run it with a muffler mod be sure to pull the limiter caps and richen the highside up a little. Madsens has a good video of what you want to hear. If you don't do this you may hear the sound of a lean piston sieze.

billm67

Max Flow air filter kit from Bailey's, a Dual Port muffler and pull the limiters and tune it.  It will be a different saw.  If you want to go further than that...have a new cylinder ported and put it and a new piston in it.  But I think the dual port muffler and max flow kit with a properly tuned carb will be a strong saw.  I did this with a 46 big bore kit on a 44 and it was a monster. 
Echo CS-400
2003 Dodge Ram 2500

mhusby

Quote from: Madman_Mark on October 12, 2012, 06:24:55 AM
Sounds like the muffler mod is the way to go. The current muffler only has a single port on it. Its the MS 460 Magnum,I guess thats what they come with.
First I would get the aussie DP stihl muffler  part# 1128-140-0616. the primary port is a good bit larger. pull the high and low speed limiter caps and remove the tab and reinstall the caps. This is necessary to keep the adjusters in position. Retune and there you go.
My 460 I first set by ear H to four stroke WOT until it is in the cut. adjust L to midway between R and L and LA to just let the chain to stop. I later checked with Tach and had 13,500...... 3300 at idle. Close enough for me.
Better to error to the rich side and NOT the lean.

bandmiller2

You guys must be alot of man,my stock 046 will work me right down to parade rest,I can't keep up with it.Saw wants more I want a nap. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

AdkStihl

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 17, 2013, 07:57:19 AM
You guys must be alot of man,my stock 046 will work me right down to parade rest,I can't keep up with it.Saw wants more I want a nap. Frank C.

Your 046 was probably manuf. before EPA. - meaning your exhaust port is probably the size of a nickel and you might possibly have the DP muffler cover.
The 460's are for the most part EPA regulated and the exhaust port can be plugged with a pencil eraser......sad I tell ya...sad.

J.Miller Photography

CTL logger

We used to do our own dual porting we would drill a hole in the opposite side then bend a piece of thin steel in a vise (didn't have a brake) then braze it on with a torch you know old school welding. I get my saws from a place in Oregon they port and polish DP the muffler and tune it up a MS460 from them runs like a stock 660. Oh and weighs about 2 lbs less

Thank You Sponsors!