iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cost for EWP

Started by MReinemann, October 07, 2012, 12:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MReinemann

Had a fellow call me today looking for some 2x12x20' boards.  Just curious as to what you guys are charging for EWP.  Seen anywhere from .60bd ft to 1.50 skimming through some of the older posts.  My trees not his.
-thanks 

thecfarm

First off, 12 inch boards 20 feet long are something not seen everyday.
Edit,I thought you said boards,never heard a 2X12 referred to as a board before.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

What is the grade of the boards?
Will anything you cut meet his requirements?

Limit on knot size?

Will it be structural use of the 2x12?

If ordered from a lumber yard, what would the price be?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I generally sell Pine lumber for 50 cents a BF. I can easily get 20 foot logs.
But I take into consideration I have to handle these heavy boards by myself when they come off my mill.
I would probably go to at least 55 cents for this reason unless he helps me.

I generally pick out the best logs out of the yard when sawing an order.
If a board has 2 knots of 20 knots it goes in his stack. However, if I see a board come off the mill that's not acceptable for any reason....I set it to the side.

As he loads, I will tell him if he sees a board he does not like, he does not have to take it. And I always give a customer a few more boards than he ordered.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red oaks lumber

my normal green price is .80/ bf on lenght's to 16'.  cutting 20' material comes with a premium price, woods run is $1.00/ bf. if the grade needs to be higher, so goes the price $ 1.20/ b.f. it takes a nice log to yield 12" no wane material, and frankly my days of giving people breaks left about the same time the economy tanked.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

MReinemann

Ok thanks for the info guys.

Okrafarmer

For boards of those dimensions, even green, I don't think I would sell it for any less than $1.50. If we were talking 16' or less, I would come down a little, but getting 20' logs, and milling and handling them, is work. Especially with a mill where the maximum length is 20'. $1.50 - $2.00, especially if it needs to be high quality. I think I have one EWP log right now that I could get a few of those out of.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!