iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Visit to the Cook sawmill plant

Started by leroy in kansas, October 06, 2012, 11:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leroy in kansas

I recently had the oppertunity to visit the Cook mfg plant in Newton AL. I had a very pleasent experience there. Got to see the Cats Claw sharpner and double tooth setter in action. They currently have a special on for these 2 items so I pulled the trigger and came home with the set. I haven't gotten the sharpner set up yet. Hope to have time next week.

These folks are as friendly as they come. Even got a follow up call checking to make sure I got home safely and if I had any questions. If your looking for sharpening equipment I'm of the opinion that this should be a consideration.

Leroy in Kansas.

customdave

Awesome!!!, I'm jealous :-\, I do have the cat claw sharpner& their duel tooth setter & their band Roller, I know you will be happy with their machines, & yes very nice people to deal with!!!

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

vfauto

What is and what does a band roller do.I have looked on Cook's site and cannot find it. Can you also post pictures of the roller?
Thanks Frank
Quote from: customdave on October 06, 2012, 11:42:53 PM
Awesome!!!, I'm jealous :-\, I do have the cat claw sharpner& their duel tooth setter & their band Roller, I know you will be happy with their machines, & yes very nice people to deal with!!!

Dave
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Kansas

Leroy, we let our old Cooks  sharpener/ Suffolk setter go when we sold the old Super 40, and bought new from Cooks. We have a retired machinist who comes in a couple times a week to sharpen blades. It took him a bit to get used to it, but now has both running like the cat's meow. The sharpener wasn't a problem; it was more getting used to the setter. If you have trouble, feel free to come up and go over things with him.

leroy in kansas

Quote from: Kansas on October 07, 2012, 07:56:58 AM
Leroy, we let our old Cooks  sharpener/ Suffolk setter go when we sold the old Super 40, and bought new from Cooks. We have a retired machinist who comes in a couple times a week to sharpen blades. It took him a bit to get used to it, but now has both running like the cat's meow. The sharpener wasn't a problem; it was more getting used to the setter. If you have trouble, feel free to come up and go over things with him.

Thanks Steve, I may have to take you up on that. I did get a pretty complete instruction session with Sean while we were there, so will give it a try first.

grweldon

I too have visited the Cook's plant.  As you say, they don't get much friendlier than that!  Great bunch of folks...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

kelLOGg

I bought my mill new from Cook but have never visited the plant. Still plan to some day. And I second the request for pics of the band roller, hint, hint, customdave. Can't afford a new one but I'm convinced of the need for flat bands.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

customsawyer

Here is a pic of my band roller.

I don't roll all of my blades but if one starts to give me trouble I will roll it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

vfauto

What is the purpose of rolling blades and what does it mean?
Quote from: customsawyer on October 07, 2012, 07:33:56 PM

I don't roll all of my blades but if one starts to give me trouble I will roll it.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Jemclimber

The purpose????? 

Blades going around a crowned wheel can get a cup induced in the width of the blade causing it to not cut optimally. A roller removes this and makes the blade flat again.  Customsawyer may be able to explain it better.
lt15

vfauto

Dose a roller take out set ?
Quote from: customsawyer on October 07, 2012, 07:33:56 PM

Magicman

The roller would only cover the band itself.  Not the teeth.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

Quote from: Jemclimber on October 08, 2012, 07:38:32 AM
The purpose????? 

Blades going around a crowned wheel can get a cup induced in the width of the blade causing it to not cut optimally. A roller removes this and makes the blade flat again.  Customsawyer may be able to explain it better.

The odd thing is that the cup is in the opposite direction to the crown. (I think). Is that right CustomSawyer?

Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

kelLOGg

...and I'm not sure it is limited to crowned wheels. I googled 'anticlastic curvature' and quickly got over my head. I have never had a course in solid mechanics. dense stuff.

Bob

Dan Sawyer

that is correct, after the band goes round the wheels over and over, it develops convexity which is opposite of what you may think - opposite direction of the crown / wheel direction.  This causes the blade to not cut straight, even if it is sharp.  A straight band is essential to successful sawing and rolling it will help achieve this. 

Kansas

When I bought a Cooks sharpener and setter recently, when we let our old ones go with the old mill, I asked them about the band roller. It just seemed to me they weren't that interested in it anymore. I know at one time that had a special that included that in the sharpener/setter combo. Not anymore. Maybe it was just me, or the person I talked to, but they made no effort to sell it.

Thank You Sponsors!