iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thought I'd introduce myself

Started by Mark Emig, October 06, 2012, 06:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Emig

Hi there. I've been lurking around "here" on and off for a bit now. I recently picked up a Peterson 9" swing mill-had to do a bit of work on it,it was sitting for a while. Guy who had it couldn't get it to cut well. So-I pick it up for a reasonable sum-square it all up-rebuild gearbox-have blades re-tensioned. Now it cuts very well. I'm a full time Artist Blacksmith-getting into other tool addiction areas. My shop is totally full, so I need to put on an addition and decide to pick up a mill. Here I go again.......

TimGA

Welcome,  sounds like your busy, congrates on new to you mill. 
                                                            Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

Lud

You're t :)he kind of fella that will get full advantage of a mill.    Welcome a board!

Plus we do a bit of smith'n .....but always willing to learn more! https://forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/smiley.gif
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

sawmillhand

Welcome to the forum Mark . Congrads on the new mill
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

thecfarm

Mark Emig,welcome to the forum. ever been around a mill before? Full time Artist blacksmith? I hace a sight idea. Can you give me a few examples of what you have made?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mark Emig

I haven't been around mills much, but I always take the mindset that if someone else can do it, I most certainly can also. As for work-I make what I call "house jewelery" -railings, gates, andirons, fireplace doors/screens, fireplace tools, furniture,fancy potracks etc. I'd post a pic, but can't figure out how to-poss someone can direct me?

thecfarm

Yep,   https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56957.0.html
Looks like a lot to it,but it's very easy. If you need help.please ask. You probably missed something. Jeff likes to have the pictures in your gallery so the pictures will always be here. No dreaded red "X" to see on here years down the road.Now I understand what you do and yes we all would like to see what you make too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mark Emig

Thanks for the help. Here's a garden bench I made-mortise and tenon construction (fun to do in steel) with a cedar top. Hopefully the ironwork pics won't offend anyone :)

thecfarm

Wood has met metal.   ;D  Very nice.

EZland

Quote from: Mark Emig on October 06, 2012, 07:41:38 AM
Thanks for the help. Here's a garden bench I made-mortise and tenon construction (fun to do in steel) with a cedar top. Hopefully the ironwork pics won't offend anyone :)

Nice work Mark!  I like it.  Wish I had those skills. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

drobertson

Good morning Mark, happy to hear about your new project,  those swing blades are pretty cool. I always backed off from looking at them cause the scared me, then I saw the big cypress sinker log a fellow cut up and I started trying to understand how they work, pretty cool stuff,  Have a great week end, nice bench too.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Welcome!

That is a beautiful and unique bench!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mark Emig

Thanks for the compliments. As for the skills thing-it's taken a bit of time to get where I am. As the very talented smith Mark Aspery says "before you hit the hall of fame, you've got to build a wall of shame". My wall was pretty big :D

valley

Have a great day unless you have other plans !!!

beenthere

Wow, a blacksmith and a swing saw owner. Such a perfect fit for the Forestry Forum.
Welcome and nice work on the bench shown (and the pic too).

Just for starters, what was your process for putting that twist in the cross bar?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dgdrls

Welcome aboard Mark,

You will find a very diverse and great group here,
the garden bench is beautiful.

Is the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome still open??

Best
DGDrls

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on October 06, 2012, 07:45:22 AM
Wood has met metal.   ;D  Very nice.

:D First time I have seen metal coming out of wood.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jim_Rogers

Welcome Mark.

Soon Mark will be wearing another hat as well. I'm currently drawing up a set of plans for him to cut a timber framed playhouse for his daughter.
I should have them done in a while.

In the meantime here is a view of the 8'x12' playhouse with one end gable door.

I man of many talents for sure.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Woodey

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Nice table and iron work.

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. Very nice work on the bench.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Tree Feller

Welcome to the forestry forum. If you want to learn about sawmills and sawing, this is the place for it.

I've seen your work elsewhere...Woodworking Talk?...wherever, it's fine work and will fit right in with milling your own lumber.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

francismilker

Wecome aboard!  I'm new here myself and have found this site very useful with some great folks onboard!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Slabs

Fascinating!!!

You could be my neighbor too.

Welcome to the greatest bunch of guys and gals you'll ever be associated with.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Magicman

Wow, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mark Emig.   :)  I guess that you kept us waiting 8 months for an intro while you were twisting metal bars.   ;D   I love the way you crafted the bench.  Truly outstanding.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Thank You Sponsors!