iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What use for small cherry logs?

Started by hackberry jake, October 03, 2012, 03:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I was just traveling south on I-540 around Fayetteville ar and saw an 18 wheeler loaded with small cherry logs heading south. Estimating 3" to 9" diameter and between 3' and 4' long. I know people sell white oak logs about that size to grow mushrooms on but what would the cherry limbs be used for?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Riggs

Jake, I'm a LONG ways from being an expert, but I'm pretty sure that oak or cherry  is used for growing 'shrooms.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Chuck White

Could also be used to make rustic furniture.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Sawdust Lover

I have seen companies that buy short stock like that for furniture parts. They didn't build the whole piece they just built the legs or spindles. They were buying 5' logs and they would get 2 legs out of them. They would go through a truckload (18 wheeler) a week.

Slingshot

Maybe they were taking them to this guy.... ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjQ0fPMG6Eo

_________________________-
sling_shot

Okrafarmer

But can you turn something like that, with good results? My  :P says no way, hosea, turning cherry limbs is a recipe for disaster.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Kansas

If you had said they were headed north, I would have guessed smoking wood. Guy up here in Kansas goes out and supplies smoking wood for a lot of the commercial bbq places. Cherry, apple, mesquite, hickory, you name it. He ranges quite a ways out. But maybe it was him, headed directly to a bbq place. I have heard Texas has a few down there.

WDH

Cherry is my favorite smoking wood and my favorite wood to build furniture with.

(Note to Self:  you need to get some more cherry logs  :)).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Can't believe I didn't think of that one Kansas. That would be pretty likely I guess.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!