iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood stoves in a sawmill shed???

Started by lyle niemi, October 02, 2012, 09:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

I know it sounds crazy but ol dad had a double barrel home made stove in his mill for over 30 years,
Whats your views on this idea????

clww

Should be plenty of wood to keep it hot. I would only advise keeping it several feet away from anything flammable.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Nomad

Make sure it doesn't get any dust built up on it either.  Otherwise, no problem in my book.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

thecfarm

Depends on how tight the building is and how much sawing is going on. If the building is real tight and sawing 6 days a week,2-8 hours shifts a day I would say no. I thought real dry saw dust is kinda flammable,like combustible too. Like the fine dust that gets up ,on top of rafters and just sits there for months.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tree Feller

If it got cold enough in East Texas, I would have a wood-burning heater in my wood shop. Never thought about having one in a mill shed though. I guess because I don't have a mill shed...yet.   ;)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

drobertson

I use one as well,  mainly to cut the chill on the really cold days, plus it helps on some of the small scraps that accumulate around the walking area, the mill shed is the tan and green building back and left in the pic, I have used this barrel for going on 4 years,  love it.  This pic is from 08' when I first fired it off,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

drobertson

I just hate it when I hit the wrong button!

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Satamax

Lyle, are you aware of rocket mass heaters?

Wood burning stove, which is ecologicaly friendly, uses 80% to 90% less wood and which is pretty safe. I have one in my workshop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IjTIsiBbsk0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdVv8ESuPQA&feature=player_embedded

Now, i have a grid around that feed tube. So no sparks of long stick can fall out.

You can check the discussion here

http://donkey32.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=experiment&action=display&thread=556

I'm onto a batch one for the flat too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dM-GbmlVGXo

Please, check the whole site out. And permies.com too. Thoses stoves are realy amazing.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

beenthere

If'n you hit the wrong button, you can go back to your post and modify it so it is the way you want it. ;)

Nice barrel stove.  Thing I don't like about the barrel stoves, is how fast they burn through. One or two seasons of full time use, and they get pretty thin.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

I have one in my shop. It helps burn scrap, planer shavings, boxes, and whatever. Real handy. At the sawmill I used to work at we soaked a metal bucketful of sawdust with diesel an it would burn almost all day. That was pretty much just a hand warmer though.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

valley

I bought my mill last nov and the man I bought from allowed me to saw with it under his shed their was a wood heater about 4 feet behind me and I loved it building a mill shed now and am putting one in approx the same location
Have a great day unless you have other plans !!!

Peter Drouin

I have a barrel stove in my house had it over 25 years works fine :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

francismilker

I had a barrel stove in the corner of my last wood shed and will have one installed in this next upcoming one.  It's real easy to keep it fed with plenty of wood and nice to back up against when you're taking a coffee break.  I never had probs with possible fire but then it was just sitting in the corner of a relatively open air building and was used for campfire purposes.  Not sure if I'd want one if it was in an enclosed building while sawing but then if you seen how much sawdust I kept builtup you'd understand why!!!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

wascator

I don't know about the shed, but around here every sawmill had a barrel with a wood fire in it somewhere on the yard or wherever the hands congregated. Usually they built the fire first thing in the morning.

captain_crunch

I have a wall between stove and mill (kinda a man Cave) but my mill is half a mile up hill from house so stove fer coffee and warmed food is a got to have Also have 1200 galons of water with pump on site
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bandmiller2

I see no problem with a stove as long as the area is kept clear of combustables.In my first circular mill I built a doghouse around the cat D-318 had two doors that swung open in the rear that would blow hot air from the radiator on me and the offbearer.Lyle what would be the cats pooper is a heated floor under the sawyers box and offbearer.If your feet are warm your warm. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

lyle niemi

Quote from: bandmiller2 on October 03, 2012, 07:58:19 AM
I see no problem with a stove as long as the area is kept clear of combustables.In my first circular mill I built a doghouse around the cat D-318 had two doors that swung open in the rear that would blow hot air from the radiator on me and the offbearer.Lyle what would be the cats pooper is a heated floor under the sawyers box and offbearer.If your feet are warm your warm. Frank C.
I think that would work good Frank, A few years ago I had built an outside wood boiler I used for the shop. It was tied into the gas boiler so when the wood fire would die down the gas boiler would kick in. After useing for about two winters my back had give out on me and I couldnt walk for a while so the whole wood idea went to the wood shed...lol  I still got the wood boiler in the back 40 some where and if its still good I might use it for the mill, its a preety dang big boiler and it might work good for the mill. I ended up getting a back operation and now Im strong like BULL..lol

Dave VH

I've got a wood burner in my wood shop / mill shed.  I love it, that's my boys favorite thing in the shop
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Peter Drouin

this year a might put one in the sawmill shed, I have one in my wood shop

I do have to be careful when I run the tools because of the dust :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Al_Smith

In regards to the original post there is a local pallet works that heat their entire buildings with a variation of a double barrell stove .The difference is that the drums are rolled 7 gauge steel 3-4 feet in diameter and 5 feet long .They have angle iron stiffeners on the drums because they will warp other wise .

My buddy who owns a welding shop makes them and they last about 5-6 years before they need some attention .Not bad  considering the heat source  is scrap wood from the pallets that would other wise just be waste .

I visited the place in dead of winter to see their rubber tired sliding table type bandsaw pallet resaws which use an abrasive band that cuts nails and all .It was plenty warm in the place .

bandmiller2

Lyle many of the lobstermen up here in the northeast weld up a couple of pieces of diamond tred steel plate and run hot engine coolant through them.Keeps there feet warm and safe from ice buildup.Strong like bull but hopefully much smarter, take care of yourself my friend. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!