iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Tractor

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, March 15, 2004, 06:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Well it's new to me, what you see here is a 48 Farmall Super A.

I had been keeping an eye out for one for a while. I was looking for one a little further out, so I could take a road trip. It's just as much fun to go get them as it is to restore them. But as it turns out this one was about 10 miles from me. Even stranger it turned out to be someone I used to work with when I first got to NASA back in the late 70's. We were both surprized, spent some time catching up and I promised him he could drive it in the Burtinsville parade after I finish the restoration.
It had been sitting for 5 years, I picked it up sunday and had it running tonight. You just can't kill these old tractors.

WS
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

chet

You got yourself a good little tractor there. I rebuilt my stepdads for him, and had lots of fun doing it. We need pics when you get her done!
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

dail_h

Those were the tractor of choice for tobacco farmers where I grew up. Good reliable small tractors
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Kirk_Allen

My dad has two Model M's.  He used one of them to pull a monster cherry out of the creek.  

Hard to imagine how much torque those oldies have until you see it.

I tried to get him to part with one of them but that aint happening any time soon.  One is used for cutting the hay and bailing and the other is hooked to the manure spreader full time.

If I can only talk him out of the 59 Ford grain truck 8)  PTO dump bed with removable sides and back.  It would make a great log hauler. ;D

redpowerd

much more rustic than them new farmalls.
i know of one with a cracked block for 350, i have a mower for it and thinking of putting one together for roadside stuff along cornfields. need to show off them pioneer signs ::)
have fun! looks to be in DanG good shape!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Frickman

Good looking little tractor there. We have one just like it here, it doesn't get used much anymore though. An uncle of mine uses it occasionally for dragging firewood out of his woodlot. I used to use it to cultivate corn, but don't anymore. I found that low gear is geared way to high for cultivating, even with the motor at an idle. You'd bounce along too fast and end up tearing out some corn.

Back when we milked we used to use it every few weeks to chop hay for bedding. We have an old Papec silage chopper that was used to fill silos. It runs off a flat belt and let me tell you, you'd be suprised how much power that little tractor has. We parked it outside the barn and would chop mulch quality hay into bedding for several hours at a time, and the tractor would never miss a beat. In new equipment I prefer John Deere green, but those old reds are OK too.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Weekend_Sawyer

True confessions. I to have an old JD 40 in the barn, don't use it much anymore because of all the red tractors around it but I do love the sound of an old Johnny Popper 2 cylander.

Just got back from picking up a used, very good condition 6' woods belly mower for my A. This tractor is coming together nicely.

Weekend_Sawyer

Heay Dail_H,
 I noticed you are from Durants Neck Va. The Lovely Miss Celest has a place in Great Neck. My question is why are these places called "Neck" on the Va shoreline?

lamar

I have an A TOO. Its set up with planter att.and cult.Also has a air cyl.that lifts the cult.Runs off belt pully under the drivers seat.
the other is for planter guy I guess.
The gen. is bad but mag is good so I crank.It starts easy once you get things right.Problem is manifold is shot.Got so Id have to shove a rag into carb intake to get enough choke to get gas up to cyl.Need new one but might try brazing old one shes go a lot of holes.

Stan

What's the use of bein' able to see where you are cultivatin' if you're goin' so fast you're pullin' up the plants. Gimmee and Allis G.  ;)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

ksu_chainsaw

We have new JD tractors that we use for field work 7810, 8400, but we use the old farmalls for all the daily work around the farm- 706 diesel, and we used to use the 450nf, but it needs a rebuild right now, so the skidloader gets more of a workout.  You just cant beat the old tractors for their reliability and how easy it is to work on them.  Too bad they still dont make the tractors that can be worked on without having a masters degree in electrical engineering :-/

Charles

Ed_K

If your looking for another New Tractor  ;). I have a 42 MH model 81r. Its running, but needs paint  ;D.
Ed K

Weekend_Sawyer

well post a pic of it Ed. always room for another tractor around here... somewhere.

That's a 41' M in the back, 49' M in the middle and the little A on the end. It is coming along nicly. I have the bad radiator off, new one on order, valve cover off. This tractor did not need a valve adjustment. First one that didn't.

I always pull the oil pans off. This one was not too bad, about 1/2 cup of sludge in the bottom. I'll be putting it back together over the next couple of weeks and adding a 6' Woods belly mower.
Is it spring yet?
Just having fun in Maryland.

dail_h

Weekend Sawer,
   I'm not originaly from around here,so I asked mt wife if she knew. Said no,but it was probably cause it's on a peninsula. She took exception to being put in VA. We are in NC 8)If you look closely at a map,you will see that the point of land between the Perquimiams River, and the Little River Is called Durants Neck,named after George Durant,who had the first recorded land deed when he bought the whole area from the Perquimians Indians. The post office here is Durants Neck,but the comunity is called New Hope- Durned if I can explain that. In this community,5-6 mile radius there is Old Neck,Hog Neck,Cross Neck ,and if you are in the metropilis of New Hope ,Down Neck,ie anywhere toward the point from here. Shoot,didn't mean to ramble on ,but some things need clarifing some ;D Hope this helps.
   Stan. I agree with the Allis G comment, I have the one Dad bought about 1963 or 64 ,he had it rebuilt several tears before he died,but never ran it. Growing up,that was my tractor as my two brothers always wanted to use the big tractor,Ford Jubilee
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Weekend_Sawyer

Neck, Peninsula, sounds right to me.

My appoligies to you wife for placing her too far north. My Mother was a proud South Carolinian and kept her accent for 83 years. She never did get used to Maryland... or Dad.

Weekend_Sawyer

Update on the Super A

Spent a couple of evenings last week and all weekend in the barn. Working on it. My new radiator came in. Did not fit. That one is headed back and hopefully the correct one is on it's way.

I put a new wiring harness on and got a nice puff of smoke from under the dash, yea it has a dash. I found that the original harness was in wrong. Thanks to a guy over on the Red Power forum I downloaded the correct wiring diagram and now with a little sanding and asking nicley even the lights work.

Oil pan is back on. Valve cover is back on. When I drained the trans some nasty sludge came out and a half dozen small metal chuncks. The trans sounds fine, PTO works fine and what gears I can see through the filler hole look fine. I beleive someone had blown the PTO or a gear in the trans and did not clean it out good. It is Clean now. Still waiting on my new radiator and keeping my fingers crossed that it is the right one.

UNCLEBUCK

hey congrats to you W.S. ! hope you have a good time fixing and showing it !  my neighbor here in central minnesota is a retired nasa man out of gambrels maryland , he is having fun too !  I just got rid of my big big tractor and pulled a wd-9 out of the weeds to fix up for the mill, looks like you know what youre doing, I dont  :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Weekend_Sawyer

Heay Unclebuck, I would LOVE to have a WD-9! What a tractor. I saw one running a 00 frick at a tractor show last year.. is that pronounced double aught frick?  IM me with your neighbor's name, I have been working in and around NASA GSFC for 26 years.

Not to tell you what to do but here's what I suggest you do

1. Take lots of pictures. The Lovely Miss Celest made a nice series of pix of a 50' Cub I restored a few years back.

2. Go to Binderbooks.com and order the Owners, Service and Parts manuals. The parts books give parts blowups so you can see how things go together and are PRICELESS!

3. Enjoy, it's a labor of love for me and it keeps me from sittin infront of the tv eating cheetos.

Here's what happened last night. I put my Brand new from Ebay Radiator in the A last night and was driving it around. I wanted to get some runtime so I could change the oil again. Those 6v lights work pretty good. I pulled it in the barn to put the grill and hood on and noticed a LOT of oil dripping on my foot. Looks like the front main seal is bad. real bad. It's part of the timing chain cover so I have to pull my new radiator (waaah), drop the front end and pull off the bolster assembly with the steering gears, that's heavy but I have a skid steer. Think I'll pull the new(er) M out of the barn. The A has been blocking it and as this may take a while and it's almost time to plow! I have never plowed with an M before, wish I had a 3 bottom plow.

oldsaw-addict

I dont know about the rest of you guys, but I would love to see this tractor after its done and has some nice new red paint on it. they  just dont make tractors now like they used to.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Weekend_Sawyer

Well Oldsaw, I'm going to keep this thread going till she's done. I had not planned on painting it right away but since I have to pull the front end off, I may scratch it down and shoot a couple of nice red coats on it.

Weekend_Sawyer

Farmall A update:

well I got the front end off pretty well. remove the radiator and a couple of other things. I supported the axle with the forks on the skid steer, removed the four large bolts holding on the bolster and it slid right off.

The problems occured when I went to pull the crank pully off. I have a real nice pulley puller. You screw a bolt into the end of the crank and let the puller screw ride on that. It was working well but the bolt wasn't long enough and the bolt head could not pass through the hole in pulley. The bolt did get into the hole just enough to get jamed. I took the puller off and put a large socket over the bolt and was driving the pulley back on with a 4lb hammer when I had a swing and a miss! CRACK, I hit the side of the pulley and broke it just as pretty as you please.

Soooo parts are on order again. Meanwhile I can now remove the timing chain cover and press out the main seal.

More later
WS

Stan

Yeah the goobermint would make short work of a tractor maker who left off the pto shield and the rops.  ::)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Weekend_Sawyer

Cheezy crackers Batman! This post was 6 pages down. Figured I'd drag it back up and give an update.  I haven't been able to put too many hours in on the tractor, it being spring I spent last weekend doing mower maintenance, that's fluid changes, greasing and bade sharpening on 2 Farmall Cubs and a push mower. Then I had to USE them, sheesh. I also have been prepping the garden, almost time for planting. Did I mention I took a motorcycle ride to Georgia to eat at my favorite seafood restaurant?  Anyway, here's what I have done since my last post.

I got the timing cover off, timing is gear driven not chain. The governor is part of the assembly that needed to come off, what a simple yet well working device. Everything inside looks good, I knocked out the old offending seal. Remember this was the whole reason for tearing it apart, A $5 seal!!!. Pressed the new one in and started reassembly. The cover and gov are back on. I am going to do a little painting before I put too much back on.

I stopped by my local Case IH dealer and picked up a gallon of purdy red paint, 2 new front tires, tubes, front axle bearing seals and other miscellaneous stuff. Heck he even threw in a free HAT!!!

Jon

Corley5

8) 8) 8) 8)  Lotsa fun aren't they ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!