iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grizzly Planer blade sharpners which is better

Started by sawmillhand, October 01, 2012, 08:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmillhand

I have a question about these sharpners. Which of these are the best to use and easy to set up? I hope i can get some input on these because i want to buy one and need some pros and cons about it.

1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

beenthere

I would expect the second one shown to be the best for blades (given that it has the travel for the length of blade you have).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawmillhand

yeah i like the second one as well but the first one also has the sliding attachment that comes with it. The first ones about 120.00 dollars and second one its about 270.00 with shipping and all.

Tree Feller

I have a Jet Wet Sharpener that is very similar to the 1st Grizzly shown. The jet (and the Grizzly) are clones of the Tormek SuperGrind once the Tormek patent expired. The Jet works very well for sharpening and honing chisels and plane blades. (note the leather honing wheel opposite the grinding wheel) Since the wheel runs at a slow speed in a water bath, there is no danger of overheating the edge being sharpened and ruining the temper.

I don't have the planer blade sharpening jig yet. Tormek's patent on it is still current and although the Tormek jigs will fit the Jet sharpener (Grizzly, too, I would guess) they are very pricey.

I don't know much about the second sharpener pictured but it looks similar to the WorkSharp sharpener in that the stone is horizontal.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

beenthere

The sliding attachment on the first one will not give you good control and positioning as the second one will. That is critical if you are particular about sharpening planer blades.
Now, if the question was "which is cheaper?", then the answer is easy. ;)

The OP question was "best to use and easy to set up". 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawmillhand

QuoteThe OP question was "best to use and easy to set up".
smiley_thumbsup_grin

beenthere your right i want it done right with less hassle so i think i am going to go ahead and spend the extra money and get the second one.

Brian_Rhoad

I have the second one and it will do 20" planer blades.

sawmillhand

Woodey

I had the second one and did not like the adjustment.
It has a course thread and travel a lot when you turn the adjustment knob. It needs a fine tread adjustment.
I have found that Grizzly's larger tools seem to be better quality.
I have a lot of Grizzly tools and the smaller one seem to be lower
quality.

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

WDH

The second one is definitely the way to go to sharpen planer and jointer blades if you go with the Grizzly.  I have the Makita, and it is first class.  Does a great job as it was designed to sharpen planer blades.  I believe that the extra $ are worth it in this case.  Has  1000 grit water stone and is very finely adjustable.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-9820-2-Horizontal-Wheel-Sharpener/dp/B0000223JC

I know this is not the one that you specifically asked about, but I think that it is a good bit better than the Grizzly.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brian_Rhoad

Like Woodey mentioned, the adjustment screw threads for the up/down on the table are coarse. I got satisfactory results with it.   

sawmillhand

I ordered the second one i didnt see WDH post in time before i ordered so i will see how it works out for me thanks guys for all the input.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ellmoe

J have the second one and would never buy it again. The adjustment is coarse and it continually moves! Terrible for accurate sharpening.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

Sawmillhand,

Send it back and get the Makita  :).

woodmills1

I have the second one

yes it is fussy to set up, but I have never sent out a knife since I got it

take a small grind and don't go to slow side to side due to no water

I am doing the 24" knives from my woodmaster
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Kcwoodbutcher

I have the second one and second the opinions about the coarse adjust. There is a learning curve with it but once you figure it out it works ok. Just a few hints-- I dished my wheel so only the edge grinds. This reduces the possibility of burning. When changing from raising the wheel ( actually the carriage) from up to down or vice versa there is a lot of slop. Bring the blade down onto the stone slowly and don't reverse direction once you start grinding, if you do it will drive you crazy. I once had a blade slip in the holder and ruined it. After that I replaced the hold down knobs with bolts and wrench them down.  I have used the Makita and it was great but I can't remember the capacity.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Brad_S.

Quote from: WDH on October 01, 2012, 09:26:23 PM
The second one is definitely the way to go to sharpen planer and jointer blades if you go with the Grizzly.  I have the Makita, and it is first class.  Does a great job as it was designed to sharpen planer blades.  I believe that the extra $ are worth it in this case.  Has  1000 grit water stone and is very finely adjustable.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-9820-2-Horizontal-Wheel-Sharpener/dp/B0000223JC

I know this is not the one that you specifically asked about, but I think that it is a good bit better than the Grizzly.

+1
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

sawmillhand

I havent had a chance to use the sharpner because i am still at work in the big ole gulf of mexico  >:( i would rather be sawing, but i cant do that full time so.. i will repost how it does

Larry

There is probably a dozen ways to sharpen planer blades with an existing machine in your shop.  Each has some merit and I have tried several.  Some are not worth talking about.  One way I like is with a disc sander.  Not that different principle from the Grizzly machines.

I picked up this Oliver miter trimmer at a flea market a while back.  It just had its 100 year old birthday a couple of months ago and I'm putting it back in working condition.  I doubt if I'll ever use it but it deserves better than to be left to rust away.

As found.  You can see how rusty the blades are and they also had nasty nicks over a 1/16" deep.

I made a block to hold the knives.  These knives have a pretty acute angle compared to planer knives.  Put a fresh 80 or 100 grit 12" disc on the Delta disc sander.  Half hour later I had shaving sharp knives.  Since I had to grind so much steel the disc is near dead.  Planer knives normally only take a few minutes.  The draw back I suppose is the price of the discs.  My jig for planer knives is similar to the one pictured...I seem to have misplaced lost it at the moment.

Just thought you guys might be interested in my way of sharpening.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sawmillhand

Larry that is awesome i would like to see some pics when you get it whooped into shape. I have always liked to restore older machines they was well built back then unlike todays time.

Thank You Sponsors!