iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can I count on the chain brake?

Started by Toocycle, September 28, 2012, 09:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toocycle

If the saw is running and the brake is set can I grab the bar/chain of the saw to  move it around?

I've never been told NOT to and I haven't ever seen this practice talked about in any owner's manual. Does that mean that it's OK?

Thanks

SasquatchMan

Depends on how much you like your fingers.   

I can imagine a scenario where you pick a saw up by the bar, the dog bumps you, you knock the brake off and stumble against something that pushes the trigger.   Bye-bye hand.   

Also, that bar is hot as hell as often as not. 

So.   No.   Don't do it, it's stupid.   
Senior Member?  That's funny.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Not sure just what the scenario would be that you would grab the bar to move the saw around. Care to elaborate?

Seems the instance would be rare, and even more rare that the saw chain would start running.... but lots of things conceivably "could" happen. Just not likely.

So why grab the bar? ?

Or did you and going to tell us what happened?  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Toocycle

Hi,

This came up in a discussion...after I get a few responses I'll elaborate. For now...please keep it simple for me. Would you allow anyone to grab the bar with the brake set and the motor running? Anything in an owner's manual?

Too

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cuterz

Don't grab the bar to move it period. Running or not. :o

thecfarm

Two lines in my Efco manual.
"Do not rely upon any of the devices built into your saw"
"Never touch the chain or attempt to service the saw while the engine is running"
The only warning I can find in my Husky manual is,
Most chain saw accidents happens when the chain touches the operator.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Should not have to put everything in a manual. These manuals are 99% stuffed with just such things already.
And I agree, the answer is "no".

If there were a real reason affecting someones life or limb, and a running saw needed to be moved and the bar was the only thing reachable to get the deed done, then I would grab it and move it.
But think it not much different than opening a car door and getting in the seat,  that had its engine running and was in Park with the hand brake set.

Now to end the mystery, whats up?   Enough games.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

I would not do it either unless it was a must do kind of thing like beenthere related.

Don't tug on Superman's cape, spit into the wind, or mess with a junkyard dog, even if they have chainbrakes.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

CTYank

Uh, NEVER, EVER.

Even just running your hand past a cutter can get really messy. DAMHIKT.

Okay, game's over. Spill it.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

shelbycharger400

The only time you can touch the chain is when the engine IS OFF!!

I do check my brake on the johnny when I put the big bar on when engine is off.
I ALWAYS set the brake when I fire it up.  With a  32 in bar on it, it is nose Heavy. The last thing you want is it to pop up or dance around when starting it.
Last note.. WEAR thick leather gloves, those chains are sharp and WILL cut you.

The farmer I worked with last spring, His favorite line was... "those saws don't like you, and they Will hurt you! "

mad murdock

Short answer......NO. Long answer...........DEFINITELY NO WAY!!!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Toocycle

Here's the story...

About seven weeks ago I started work as the foreman of an arborist crew. The crew has mostly good skills and habits. There are some that need correcting.

Last week one of the guys was cutting a trunk log to length so that our grapple loader could lift it. He made the cut from one side then needed to pull the saw out and move to the off-side. He set the chainbrake then slid the saw partway out of the cut. For some reason he grabbed the bar, with the saw running, and lifted it up. I told him FIRMLY to get his hand off the bar. Long story short...skip the dialog...he said that in any of the chainsaw trainings that he'd attended no one had ever told him NOT to grab the bar of a running saw, even with the brake set. What logic?! All that I can see is fingers/hands mixed in with chips and sawdust on the way to the ER!

If he was my employee he wouldn't have a saw in his hands for at least a couple of weeks.

His confidence in technology stuns me. Turning off the saw first then moving would be so easy. That almost eliminates any chance of being cut. In my almost 40 years of arborculture work I've never been cut by a running saw..knock on wood (my sawdust filled head :)  ). Reason being...I keep them away from me as much as possible.

I'm going to condense the comments on this thread and bring it to work next week.

Thanks for your support!

Too Cycle

clww

I can think of NO good reason to pick up a running chainsaw by the bar. EVER! Shut it off or use the handles only.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Toocycle

From Husqvarna manual:

'Keep all parts of your body away from the saw chain when the engine is running,'

beenthere

QuoteI'm going to condense the comments on this thread and bring it to work next week.

As the foreman, you already told the guy not to do it. Seems that would be sufficient, and you wouldn't have to present additional evidence from another source to try to prove you are right. Gets to be a lecture then, and IMO lets the crew know that you had some doubt about your original decision.  In that case, the crew may doubt your subsequent decisions.
south central Wisconsin

JohnG28

Perhaps said employee would like to sign a release removing all liability from the company for any injuries incurred before running another saw? Might make the gravity sink in a little better. ;)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

clww

I would tell him that you (the foreman) are giving him formal training at this time. "If I ever see you pick up a running chainsaw by the the bar again, your employment will be terminated at that time. Period." That should cover it.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Toocycle

If I had the authority he would have had the rest of the day off to think about what he did...and his attitude too. Since I don't have that authority he still has a job.

isawlogs

Grabbing a saw by the bar and chain, wether the saw is running or not is an accident\injury waiting to happen. A few fingers cut open on the teeth of the saw will take the guy out for the day, loss of time and manpower aint worth it. They put handles on a saw for a reason.  :P

You are correct in having him not pick up a running saw  with brake on by the blade, the fact that no one has ever mentioned it does not make it something to do, that in mind ( grabing by the blade) is a common sense thing..  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

shelbycharger400

not shure where it is, but I seen a youtube video of an individual with a stihl and a 48 in bar do the same deal, holding the bar after it was running and drop it in a slot in a tree cut with a smaller saw.. sounds like if you cant hold the saw horizontal with the handles either you should get a smaller bar or not be doin what your doin.

Ward Barnes

And I bet this guy votes too.

I have cut a finger removing a new chain from the box.  On the box it said, "....wear thick gloves...."  I shudder to think what could have happened had the chain brake slipped.  Halloween is coming up in a few weeks and this would make a good horror display in the haunted house.

Saw chains were designed to do one thing.  CUT.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

banjerplayer

&& do not blow dry your hair in the shower.
Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Clam77

This guy wouldn't be on my crew the next day - period.  He grabbed it just cuz nobody ever told him not to??  Really?? 

Would you wanna look down the barrel of a handgun after a misfire while the same cartridge is still in the chamber and think it's safe -- just cuz nobody ever told you not to??

It's a common sense question that didn't even need to be asked.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Thank You Sponsors!