iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tips to amount of set.

Started by hackberry jake, September 28, 2012, 05:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I was sawing yesterday and changed bands because the one I was using was getting dull. I put one on that I had just got done setting and sharpening. On this one I tried more set. Around 36 thousands. I did his to see if I could get more than three sharpenings per setting. It cut like crap. Is there such thing as too much set? I figured it would just cut slower and take out more kerf. I was cutting bodark. I one out of the "needs to be set" pile, sharpened it and it cut like a charm.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

hackberry jake

By "cut like crap" I mean not straight. And very jagged
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ely

i have found that the softer the wood the better it cuts with the most amount of set, pine for example.
and with very little set the harder woods seem to do better.

Chuck White

The most set I've seen anyone post about was setting .030 and it was for W/Pine.  I guess it would work ok for other softwoods too.

I've heard of people "not setting every time", but I set mine every time, and then sharpen!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

Hi hackberry jake I use .055 WM blades and I set them at .030 and they cut fine for me , hard wood , soft wood and even frozer wood. and I do set every time then sharpen :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kcwoodbutcher

Extreme set can put a lot of stress on the blade and cause premature breakage ( don't ask how I know). Osage requires very little set and being as hard as it is, extra set would really slow things down. I can get two to three sharpenings with a .026 set if I don't grind heavy.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Chuck White

I set my 10° blades at .025 +/- .001, so, .024-.026!

I set the same, no matter what I'm sawing.  Most of my sawing is softwood, with the occasional hardwood thrown in here and there.

The hardwood I saw mostly is Black Cherry.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!