iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sad Day

Started by Burlkraft, September 28, 2012, 09:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

In case anybody around here wants to come I'm having an auction on Oct 20th. Selling everything from my mill and tractor to guns and bows and lots of household items. Woodworking stuff like planer, jointer,bandsaw,drill press and shaper.

All this because of my greedy family.

Jill's sad but little does she know that this is the gateway to me getting some different stuff  :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

sawguy21

Steve, you are a survivor. Hang in there a brighter day will dawn.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

submarinesailor

Dang Steve, sorry to hear all this.

Bruce

Okrafarmer

Ouch, sorry to hear about this. Wish I were nearer by to come to the auction. What town?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Can you get an approximate list of what will be there, at least the big stuff?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Burlkraft

thecfarm

Yes,that is sad to hear.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Burlkraft

The real sad thing is I checked the lunch wagon out and they don't serve gritzzz    :D :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Is there no way to get out of selling all your toys? This would leave a bad taste in my mouth.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ely

i guess i just dont understand... :-X

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: Burlkraft on September 28, 2012, 10:01:36 AM
The real sad thing is I checked the lunch wagon out and they don't serve gritzzz    :D :D

Sounds like a plus to me. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

fishpharmer

I think i understand and am sorry to hear about it.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Burlkraft

Quote from: ely on September 28, 2012, 10:38:51 AM
i guess i just dont understand... :-X

Close to broke, had my 35 year job ripped from me by being out voted by the rest of my family who just want the money out of our business

Being over 50 and have had a major heart attack I guess I'm unemployable. I can't even manage a Sears Auto Center, where all the employees look like they came stright from high school.
I do have a 16 hr. a week job wheelin' around folks at a local clinc. 10.58 an hour just ain't gonna cut it.
Sellin' the house and movin' somewhere.

Texas Ranger

Well, this sucks canal water.  Hang in, Steve, they can kill ya, but cannot eat  you.  Walk through that door and see the bright future on the other side.  Make it bright.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sparky1

that does suck!! Everything always seems to work it self out in the end. Stay positive and hopefully as stated a brigther day is in the near future for you!!
Shaun J

tcsmpsi

It's a cold enough world, without being gone against by your own.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Raider Bill

Family Greed........  smiley_thumbsdown
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

ely

im sorry about that trouble you are having, i had no idea... if there was a disscussion about it i missed it.

i do agree about the sucking part but one thing for certain mr. burlkraft, you are cut from a different cloth than the rest of those donothings... maybe it is time to reconfigure your life and eliminate those folks who are "in the way" of your bright future. if you make it to okla. let me know if i can help you in anyway.

not sure how the economy is there but , do you think the auction is going to produce the funds needed... or would it be possible to get a note from the bank and buy back the equipment you need from the auction.?

Cypressstump

Sorry to hear this news Burlkraft, Family matters can get awful messy sometimes. Sorry you have been caught up in such. As already mentioned as one door closes theres another one yet to be opened.

Stay strong Bud ! Keep that chin up and don't let folks change your outlook on things, people can take a lot from a man, but his willpower,determination and personality they can not touch.
Best wishes ! stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

clww

My mom and I had to do an auction after hard times in 1990. Things got better for us, and I trust they will for you, too!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

red

Hang in there . . it was a FF member who called me today and had me laughing  so I will meet you at the Harley dealer
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Chuck White

Sorry to hear this news Steve!

Investing with family is not always as good as it looks in the beginning!

Hang in there, you'll survive!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

Ya Burlkraft thats to bad, I wish you the best of luck :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Sorry that it has come to this, Steve.  At least you are looking forward. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

trapper

some times the FF family is better to have than natural family.  Good luck and no matter what you do stay with us.
Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Okrafarmer

You can come down here. Burls grow on trees around here.  ;D Not sure if money does, but, it was worth a shot. . .

Magicman

It is indeed a Sad Day, Steve.  Doors will open so hang tough my friend.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I know I already posted once. But just can't get this out of my head. I kinda may understand what you are going through losing all that you thought was yours. When Father passed all was well. Than a few years later my Mother passed. My brothers turned into a batch of,Well I deserve something too bunch of #%&*@)*%. One did come up quite often,but I soon found out why. The other 2 might of shown up 4 times a year at the most and IF they came over to The Farm,it was a stand in the driveway and say how good it looked because I was working over here just about every day. Yes.I understood they had lives of their own and family to raise and not have much so called time to come visit. But as soon as my Mother was gone they all showed up wanting a piece of The Farm. Which I suppose they would of promptly turned around and sold. My wife and I took care of my Mother for about 3 months before she passes. It was a hard and long 3 months too. I got a few calls at work and had to leave to help out my wife. During all that time the brothers only showed up once,and out of 5 Grand kids only 2 showed up and out of 3 DIL only one came.  ::) But they all sure could pump thier gums about my wife and me when she was gone. If my parents needed anything I was the one to help out,even when I was not close by. Not that it matters,I really don't feel I have brothers anymore. I never would of thought this would of happened.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Left Coast Chris

Steve,  Im so sorry to hear of your situation.  I'll be praying for you and Jill.   An interesting thing about this economy, is that the unemployment rate differs significantly from state to state.   My daughter went for a year or so from California to Kansas and had no problem getting a job where as out here things are a bit tighter.   We are pulling (and praying) for you.   Hang in there and let us know how things are going.    ::) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Okrafarmer

In your OP, you eluded to the idea that this is the gateway to getting new things to replace the old. I assume that means because you will be receiving some of the proceeds from this auction. So, since you want/need to rebuild your ability to perform craftsmanship, I guess you will need to plan carefully what you need to buy after the sale, and look for bargains on exactly the tools and equipment you want. Maybe you can even find somebody else's going-out-of-business sale to go to, and buy some of their stuff.  :-\ Trying to be helpful.

Burlkraft

Wow..Thanks guys. The Forestry Forum is chuck full of caring guys that want to help. I've never been anywhere and seen guys like you.
I have recieved many pm's from you who want to help. My dark days with this are over. After my heart attack I thought I could just keep on goin the way I used to. With 45% heart function I just can't do all that anymore. It's taken me a while to come to terms with that. The business was my Grandfathers. Over the years I have been the only one of my family to even care about the business and the employees. We are a Sub S comany and they were all there at the end of the year to get thier check. I'm workin' on a deal right now with a very interested buyer that wants everything there including what employees I have left. I had to turn 30 folks loose that day, but I kept the best 7 I had. I've been keeping touch with about 5 more that are working, but would come back if asked. The cool thing for me is that if this deal deal goes I'm gonna collect on a 5% finders fee  ;D Then after it all shakes out I'll get my % of the sale too.
I'm just really short on cash right now. It doesn't take long to burn up savings when you aren't gittin' paid.
The sale has two functions for me. It gets me much needed cash right now and it's scaling back my hobbies like manual sawing that I just can't do any more. And as a bonus I'm gettin Jill to part with the mountains of stuff that she has collected over the years.
I'm keepin my lathes and some support equipment. I haven't turned all summer because I was just too busy with other stuff.
Turning is what got me to where I am today. I love building furniture, but it's hard on my body.

So all in all this ain't as bad as it sounds. Yes, it's sad to get rid of the tools that I have had so long, but like my job it's just time to change and start the next phase of our lives. At some point maybe a hydraulic mill and a 4 head shaper. One thing I've always wanted to do is blow glass on a small scale. I have this vision of small turnings with voids and glass blown inside of them. Maybe that's next?
Who knows? All I know is I may be down but I am not out.

Selling the house was in our plans all along. 12 years ago Jill promised me that if I bought a place here when her kids were out of school we could sell it and move anywhere I wanted. That time is also here. Where are we goin'? Tennesee? The UP, Santa Fe? All places we have liked when visiting. I guess we'll know when we get there.
You all are just fantastic folks and I thank God that I found this place and I was accepted here.

You guys are more family to me than those that are my family.

Thank you and Bless you one and all!

doctorb

Steve-  What strength and resilience you have.  Keep on truckin'!  Best of luck to such a fine fellow.

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Burlkraft

I guess I should come clean about my new 2 day a week job.
I get to see some fine lookin nurses all day and I get paid to talk to folks.
Sumthin' I'm real good at  ;D

thecfarm

Burlkaft,I really enjoyed reading that post. Things are looking up for Jill and you.

Bill Gaiche

Hope you and Jill find that landing place soon and with a peace of mind to go with it. bg

clww

Both you and Jill will remain in our thoughts and prayers here. Let us know if we can be of any help to you two. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

isawlogs

Steve, I am glad to read you and Jill have a plan, might not be the best plan, or the one you would of wished for , but still a plan. My door is and will be opened for you two if your travels bring you this way, just a reminder  ;) It is g..tz free, taters are most often on the menu here and the meat may of had a name tag at one time  ;D  It all comes from the heart and made with love.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

customsawyer

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I like your out look though and I am confident you will land on your feet up and running.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

drobertson

Not knowing anything about your circumstance, I am sorry to hear your despare.  A deep breath, more likely many deep breaths. Belly aches and sleepless nights, so sorry.  Regroup, and find the balance. This will come from the Lord, If you have not taken the step, take it now. He will take 999 of a 1000, the last step is yours to take. Maynot be what you want to hear but it is in front of you, not behind you.  You will touch many in your travels, and your reaction to this will bear the fruits of you labor.   God Bless you,  and He will, trust and obey, and it will be added unto you.   David
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

I hope you both can find that special place, family/business is tough, I know, and after this year all I can say is that stupid little saying from the movie "Finding Nemo"  Just keep swimming just keep swimming.  So far it gets me by and puts a smile on my face, try it and it may do the same for you, if that don't work watch the movie with a little kid (at least a dozen times) then call me a liar  :).  I wish you all the best.

Holmes

Sounds like you have a good plan. To many people shoot themselves in the foot when dealing with " the family". I truly hope the plan works out for you. I know what you mean about savings, it spends way to fast. Good luck and keep your health.
Think like a farmer.

Autocar

Sounds to me like you have a new and exciting future, sometimes bad things turn into a blessing and I believe your headed for a blessing , good luck Bill
Bill

OneWithWood

Good luck, Steve.  I am confident that it will all turn out for the better when the dust settles.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Don_Papenburg

I've met beenthere and he said you were an upstanding guy . 
so I hope you and Jill come out of this smelling like a bowkay O roses.
Where ever you move to after the smoke clears ,don't even think of moving to Illinois.  Just sayin'
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Burlkraft

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on October 03, 2012, 11:08:37 PM
I've met beenthere and he said you were an upstanding guy . 
so I hope you and Jill come out of this smelling like a bowkay O roses.
Where ever you move to after the smoke clears ,don't even think of moving to Illinois.  Just sayin'

Jill's from Foreston, IL.  >:( She's a total Bear's fan and no...I will never move to Illinois  ;D ;D

Don_Papenburg

My dad had a friend that lived in German Valley , he retired and moved to Foreston. That place is changing fast.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on October 04, 2012, 10:34:46 PM
My dad had a friend that lived in German Valley , he retired and moved to Foreston. That place is changing fast.

It is! They will have gone too far when they remove the grain bins from the center of town.

Raider Bill

The UP= too cold, Santa Fe,= too hot, Tennessee ahhh just right!

easymoney

i agree that tennessee is just right. of course i might be prejudiced since i have lived smack dab in the middle of the state all of my 73 years. ;D

beenthere

Quote from: Burlkraft on September 28, 2012, 09:44:12 AM
In case anybody around here wants to come I'm having an auction on Oct 20th. Selling everything from my mill and tractor to guns and bows and lots of household items. Woodworking stuff like planer, jointer,bandsaw,drill press and shaper.

That is tomorrow, and where I'll be heading.
Raining today for awhile yet, but tomorrow is supposed to be good weather.

http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/1548857.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

Leigh Family Farm

Tennesse might be nice but it doesn't beat Eastern PA in the fall.  ;) Good luck Steve with your new adventure. Each journey begins with a simple step, just step in the rigth direction and avoid the cow patties!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

retseih

Steve,

I wish you and your wife the very best.  When I re-married my wife and I constantly reminded each other the past is the past and we should only look forward.  Each time some of those bad memories bubbled up we would say "it's a new day"...I hope you will look back soon and say the same.  Good luck and may God Bless your future.  And btw Santa Fe has a striking art community as I'm sure you know...:)

Dick and Leisha

Burlkraft

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...The sale is over and I think it went pretty well. I heard a few folks leavin' that were sayin' there was no steals here today. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Everything sold and was gone that day except for a small pile of junk.
One guy bought the mill and the tractor. I'm supposed to be giving a sawmill lesson this afternoon when he comes to pick them up.
Now comes phase two of the new plan. I have a lot of room in my shop now for a small glory hole and some glass tools. That's all I'm gonna say...... ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Glass tools....... say_what. I can hear your wheels turning. Keep us posted.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

I'm glad to hear the sale went well.  I was going to saye my heart goes out to you , but I guess in my case it may not be the best to offer  ::) Hoping the next phase goes well for you two.  :-*
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Norm

Good to hear Steve!  :)

Okrafarmer

Well it sounds like you're making those lemons into lemonade. Good on you. If you keep it up, you might even try lemon meringue pie!

Jeff

Quote from: Burlkraft on October 22, 2012, 07:54:32 AM
Now comes phase two of the new plan. I have a lot of room in my shop now for a small glory hole and some glass tools. That's all I'm gonna say...... ;D

Don't Inhale!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Okrafarmer

I should get over it, but I always get nervous when I see that Jeff immediately replies right after me in a thread!  :D

isawlogs

I've some knowledge of "glory holes" but I'm thinking this may not be  those....   :P

Marcel

thecfarm

Glad to hear that is behind you and things turned out good.

Weekend_Sawyer

Good going Steve. I am very glad to hear you are moving forward.

I hope you start a pic heavy thread on this new venture!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

OneWithWood

Glad to hear it all went well and you are satisfied with the outcome.

Once you get accustomed to your new toys, er tools, a set of FF beer mugs or scotch glasses would be awesome... smiley_beertoast
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Weekend_Sawyer

QuotePosted by: Jeff
« on: Today at 08:57:39 am »]

Don't Inhale!

Hmmm, leaded glass, or stained glass maybe...
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

isawlogs

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on October 22, 2012, 11:58:52 AM
QuotePosted by: Jeff
« on: Today at 08:57:39 am »]

Don't Inhale!

Hmmm, leaded glass, or stained glass maybe...

Leaded glass!!!.... I was not thinking about that at all...  :D

Marcel

Don_Papenburg

You going to give advice to the FF members when you get a few hot bulbs under the belt? I would like to make up some glass knobs for my wifes big mixer .

Thank You Sponsors!