iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to build this?

Started by hackberry jake, September 27, 2012, 09:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

If you were gunna build something like this http://www.sportys.com/PreferredLiving/product/2620 would you build a steam tube and steam the frame or would you laminate it? If you would laminate it. Would you do it vertical or horizontal? With it being outside, I'm iffy about laminations.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

LeeB

Laminate. You just have to use a water proof glue. I seem to remeber wood magazine having plans for one several years back.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Axe Handle Hound

+1 for laminating.  Like Lee said, just use a waterproof glue like Titebond III or Gorilla and it will hold up fine.  Not sure I understand what a horizontal lamination would look like in this case.  I'd run my laminations parallel to the long axis of the beam and I'd probably go with layers of plywood glued together, cut to shape, and then covered with a skin of solid wood for appearance. 

hackberry jake

What I mean by vertical or horizontal is... When it is finished and you are looking from the top down at the beam. Would you see one full piece of laminate or the edges of all the laminations?

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Burlkraft

I'd go with lamination. I saw one like that and it was laminated with cover pieces like axe handle said.
The one I saw was made from a quality plywood like baltic birch. The side pieces were made from curly maple. It was covered on the sides and top and bottom. The only place you saw lamination was on the ends.
Good luck with this project and make sure we get some pics!  :)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Tree Feller

Another vote for laminating it...horizontally. Laminated vertically it would not have much breaking strength.

I would use an epoxy glue although TB III would work, too. The problem with pva glues on a laminate is that they will creep with time. The epoxy will be very rigid and not have any creep.

If you coat the lamination in epoxy before applying the top finish, it will waterproof the lamination so that you don't have to worry about rot. The top coat(s) will need to be UV resistant, though, because epoxy will degrade in UV light.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Lud

It'd take a heck of a steamer .  you don't have much time  steaming.  And it'd relax after you left it outside.

I laminated 4 curved beams for my porch from plywood  24 years ago using lots of glue and screws and they're still doing fine.  So you could do it that way.  go price some plywood and think about it.  Might be expensive.

Just suggesting...........why not look for bent trees in the woods that have a nice curve and flat saw it on the mill.   Then laminate the different curved flats.  It'd just cost you some screws and glue and you might come up with something really special! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

hackberry jake

I like the way you think lud. If I find the right tree, I want have to laminate anything or steam anything... If I can't find a tree with that much arch I will just laminate one. I don't understand where plywood would come into play. I thought I might just build a curved jig and start gluing up layers. Just saw some bodark or cedar or whatever about 1/2 thick. Plane them down to bout 3/8 and glue a bunch of em together.

reride82

Jake,
I would say you're on the right track. I would think something similar to how this hoop house sawmill shed would work for laminating that curved beam.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,8485.0.html
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Tree Feller

I laminate rocking chair rockers which are similar to what you are considering just on a much smaller scale. I built a bending jig from three layers of 3/4" MDF and sawed the shape out at the band saw. I then drilled 1 1/2" holes about 3" below the top of the curved shape, spaced about 4" apart.

I cut 1/8" laminations on the tablesaw with the blade set 1/8" from the fence and use a sacrificial push block. With the blade set just above the stock height, it runs in the same groove in the push block each time a lamination is ripped off. There's no need to move the fence for each cut or any other adjustment required for each rip.

Once I have enough laminations for the desired thickness, I lay them on the form one at a time, applying glue to the top side before adding another lamination. They are then clamped to the form with c-clamps utilizing the drilled holes where they take on the curved shape. Once the glue is cured, there is virtually no springback.

Note: Be sure and wax the form liberally so that it doesn't become a part of the lamination.   ;D
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

TGS

I've milled poplar that ended up looking like that by the time I got to the end of the cut!

metalspinner

I remember seeing that stand a few years ago and considering making it.

I believe it is a couple of pieces (maybe three) which would make handling the glue up easier.  The thinner your laminations, the easier time you will have bending and will get less springback.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

GeorgeK

Seems to me I saw that at Sporty's a while back. I could check in about 10 days if you like. I do not think it has anyplywood. I think just thin layers pulled around. I vote for epoxy also. Thye serve free ot dogs on Sat if you fly in. gone this weekend but could maybe go next weekend and take photos if still in display.
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

Thank You Sponsors!