iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Salute the WWII Vets

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 26, 2012, 10:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I just got back from the Columbia airport which is 1 hour and 45 minutes away from home.
My son and I picked up my Dad who went to Washington for an over night event.
Their plane had over 100 vets on it and they had 3 plane loads. These vets got a free trip to Washington to see their name on the "wall".
It was really a great way to honor their service. Some were in wheel chairs, others were missing an arm or leg.
When they arrived back in Columbia, S.C. all had family and friends waiting on them. State Troopers were lined up, all branches of service were there... all the way down to ROTC and Boy and Girl Scouts. Everyone saluted them.
I have never seen WWII vets smile this big and tears coming down everyone's faces. It was truly something to witness.

Here is a pic of my Son (Paul) and his Grand-Dad (Paul).

Here I am with my Dad.

Here's the band.

Here's just a general pick of Vets returning.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Very nice. I see they all have red coats on too.I suppose these were donated by? I did not read or hear about this at all.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Holmes

Great post.  It means so much to the veterans to be acknowledged. They went thru hell.  It is wonderful for them they had a group trip like that.
Think like a farmer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on September 26, 2012, 10:47:57 PM
Very nice. I see they all have red coats on too.I suppose these were donated by? I did not read or hear about this at all.

In South Carolina, everything was paid for by the Electric Coops.

thecfarm

They deserve a big thank you too. Takes alot of time to set something like this up too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

Here is another WWII veteran of the European Theater, my Dad.  He passed last Wednesday.  He had military honors at his services.  It was a touching and honorable tribute performed with great dignity. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I didn't know your Dad Bibby....but I love him. If ya'll had seen all those Vets, you'd have fallen in love with everyone of them and ALL who served.
I salute your Dad.  smiley_thumbsup

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Roxie

Very moving pictures.  Thank you for sharing that. 
Say when

Burlkraft

That's awesome! They really were the greatest generation.

I am signed up for Wisconsin's next Honor Flight. You act as a companion for vets who don't have family that can go with them. I love talking to those guys and hearing about the struggles and victories.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Riggs

Great post, my Grandfather went on one of our Flights of Honor last summer. It's a great way to pay tribute to the ones who gave so much.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Autocar

I agree one of the best generations of our country, heroes for sure.
Bill

Chuck White

Thanks for the post Dave!

Very touching!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pineywoods

Thanks for that post. Louisiana has a similar program. These men are rapidly dwindling in number. I know of only one in my community..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

blackfoot griz

Thank you for posting this!
Three of the most influential people in my life were WW2 vets.  Two of them got out of Nazi Germany in different ways.  The first one "Fritz" came to this country at age 8. Didn't speak English.  He didn't have good eyesight so he memorized the eyechart and joined the U.S. Marines. He fought in the South Pacific... He got a Bronze Star and a purple heart.

The second, "Harry" was captured by the Russians as a teenager and hauled off to a Russian Gulog(SP?). 13 kids escaped during the Russian winter, only 3 lived to tell the story of travelling hundreds of miles on foot. He eventually made it to the US and became a US Army Officer.

The 3rd "Howard" joined the US Navy when WW2 started. He broke his back after being blown off a ship and that was his one way ticket back to the States.

None of these men knew each other, but they had a common theme.  They didn't complain about their sacrafices and all three of them would go on the fight if somebody said anything bad about the US. The two that were actually born in Germany were more "American" than most people I know.

IMO, this was the greatest generation.  Tom Brokaw wrote a book called "The Greatest Generation". IMO again, this should be a mandatory read for high school kids.

sandhills

Very nice tribute David, my Uncle Norm, WW2 vet in the 101st Airborne would salute you as well.

Bibbyman, I'm sorry to hear about your father, they truly were the greatest generation and my hat's off to him, those military honors always bring a big tear to my eye, my thoughts are with you and yours. 

customsawyer

Great post. Bibby sorry to hear about your father.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

drobertson

David, thanks for the share, My father was to make the flight as well, fell in march and broke his hip.  He resides in Columbia.  I sure miss Dad, and the rest of the family back home.  Brother Steve is trying to get Dad back up to speed for another chance at this wonderful trip for all the Veterans, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bama20a

Bibby: Sure am sorry to hear of your lost,My dad was also a WW2 vet-.He has been gone for several years now.There is one thing I wish I had done, Asked him where all he was at over there from start to finish.
Not wanting to tot my own horn,But a few months back. I was eating alone in a Truck stop cafe,When an older man & younger lady(alittle younger than him) walked by me & took a seat,
I noticed he had on a cap that had WW II vet on it,Sure made me think of my dad,
As I was leaving I walked over to their table picked up the check & said to him Thanks.
After paying the bill as I started out the door I looked back,The lady waved bye to me & I seen him wiping his eyes.
Just a very small price for me to pay,For some one who has done so much.Mark,,,,,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What a nice thing to do Mark. I'll bet those guys appreciate something like you did more than we'll ever know.
You da man in my book!  smiley_thumbsup

fishpharmer

Great story David, about a great man, your dad.
Bib, I salute your dad and all the other WWII vets.
Mark, random acts of kindness say a lot about the character of a person. I have an vast amount of respect for WWII veterans as well as all the other war veterans that willingly risked their lives for all of us that now enjoy the freedoms of this great country. Let us never forget. Thank You.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

Veterans Day is a little bit more than a month way. thank a vet on that day,young or old.
I told my wife about this thread and she saw it on the World News. That is a good thing.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!