iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blackjack Oak

Started by PatrickG, March 15, 2004, 06:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatrickG

Has anyone had experience milling Blackjack Oak?  Does it have any characteristics to recommend it?  Will it make useful lumber or does it dry all curled up and twisted worse than pretzels made by a drunk?

I can find a few as large as 12 inches near the base and wondered if it would be worth running it through a chainsaw mill. I'd hate to find out later that it dulled the saw and was useless.

:P  Pat   :P

Tom

Patrick,
If we are talking about the same tree I'd have to say to mill it.  

Black Jack in North Florida is used primarily for  Bar-b-cue wood.  The cooking contests generally demand only Black Jack.  It has a flavor that is milder than water oak and laurel oak, two of the other local bar-b-cue woods.

Since milling is becoming more popular,  Black jack gets put on mill now and my customers are elated with the results.  It's their doing not mine, but, they act as if they just discovered that the world was round.  It is a smaller tree and doesn't produce large boards but they surre are pretty.  Those I've seen are streaked in reds and golds. Our black jacks are "sand hill" trees and that may have something to do with the color.    Most that I have milled have produced 6" wide boards or less. Lengths of 8 feet are common but seldom does a bolt run over 10 feet.  It is being used for crafts and furniture.  

Take some pictures if you can.   :)

PatrickG

I did a Google on "blackjack" + "oak" and found several references.  Some talked about BBQ some saying it had little or no commercial value, one source said it was sometimes used for rough timbers.

You have turned me around.  I will try to get some to saw up.  I have the Alaskan chainsaw mill on order but am still wafling on which saw to get and how long of a bar.  My received advice and research results so far are pointing me toward a 90cc unit in Stihl or Husqvarna but I was hoping to not have to PAY SO MUCH.  I also don't know about the bar length but was thinking about 24-28 inches.  More chain is more teeth and should distribute wear and cut longer between sharpenings.  I don't want to cary that to extreme and get a lot of drag/friction.

:P  Pat   :P

Thank You Sponsors!