iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS250

Started by oscar4749, September 26, 2012, 06:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar4749

Is there a way I can set the oiler up.Idon't get as much oil as I would like to.I don't know much about this saw as it is almost new.Any ideas would help me>thanks in advance
i don't ever want to be rich i just want $1 more than i ever want to spend (texas joe)

Clam77

Unless you have a special one and the saw has an adjustment screw on the bottom- the manual for the 250 doesn't even suggest that you CAN adjust it.   :-\
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

clww

I know what you mean with the apparent lack of oiling. I have an MS290 that uses "too little" oil. As stated by Clam77, check the manual about an adjustment screw on the bottom of the saw. On my 290, even with maximum flow set, it uses less than half what my 028 uses with the same amount of gas. I add oil to the 290 on every other tank full of fuel. It still cuts fine and no abnormal chain wear that I've seen.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

cuterz

No there is not any adjustment. I have a 025 and it to could oil more. >:(

John Mc

With no oil adjustment, yo might be able to help things out by trying different viscosity oils.  Some are thinner than others and might flow more easily?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

taylorsmissbeehaven

This makes me feel better. I tend to fill the oiler up with every tank of fuel on my older stihls, but the newer ones every other fill up. I guess its an environmental thing??? Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

beenthere

Lest I forget, I top the oil off every time I fill up with fuel.
Finding out the well went dry after the bar gets hot is just a bit late. ;)
And it can sneak up on a guy who has his mind on cutting rather than watching for oil coming off the tip of the bar.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

taylorsmissbeehaven

I also top off with every refuel for the same reasons you do beenthere. I just wonder why I'm empty on old saws and new ones seem to have plenty. What gives? Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

thecfarm

My Husky 372 wiil use 2 tanks to one tank of oil.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SasquatchMan

Stihl's system certainly puts less oil on the bar than lots of other saws, particularly older ones.   

I was astounded at how much lube my new Poulan pours out compared to any of the Stihls I've used (170,271,290,260). 

But..... it does seem to be enough.   I cut up all kinds of awful cruddy junk with my 290 and the bar and chains survived.   
Senior Member?  That's funny.

banjerplayer

ms250, 028 & 025 oilers are not adjustable, but most of the time I find the problem in the worm gear, clogged up oiler or dirty bar.

ms290 has an adjustment in the bottom of the black handle. factory usually sets it at 1/2 open. you can adjust it with a little flat head.
Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.

lumberjack48

The gas an bar oil should run out about the same time, tank for tank. If the bar oil is still half full when the saw runs out of gas something is wrong or its not set right. I always had my saws set so they ran out about the same time. If its setting idling half the time, it will use less oil.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

ladylake

Keep those chains sharp, a dull chain and not quite enough oil is not good.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!