iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky Rancher 55

Started by kenskip1, March 14, 2004, 09:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenskip1

Being a Stihl fan I was looking for another saw. All the new saw's have fixed high speed adjustmant settings.
    I went to my local Husky dealer and  am thinking about this saw.  Can anyone answer this query? Any complaints or comments would be help full.
    The Rancher 55 is the saw in question. I am sure that Stihl still makes quality products however, I am the one that wants the control of how My saw's run.
     I am looking for a high spirited fast cutting saw. Can this saw fill the bill? The bar will be an 18 inch. The majority of the hardwood is between 10 and 16 inches in diamater.
                                                      Ken

Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

oldsaw-addict

The 55 has a rep for being nearly immortal, but thats the older ones I have no idea what the new ones are like. for me the 266 does just fine with a 20" on it and full chisel chain. for what you are doing though I believe the 55 rancher would be a suitable choice, but not the absolute best one I would personally go for a slightly larger saw like the 359 or 365. The 359 would be as fine a choice as the 55 rancher for what it will be used for. Its your choice which saw to buy in the end, but I would recommend the 359 because it has a slightly larger engine and somewhere around 3.9 HP or thereabouts. OR you could buy a Power Ported 346 XP from Dozer Dan and have the ability to keep right up with a 372 in the cut. I'll take whatever will start run and make it through the day without killing me first.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Oregon_Rob

Have you ruled out the 346xp?
Chainsaw Nerd

Kevin

I would lean towards the 357XP.

Flurida_BlackCreek

I like my 55. I went with a 20" bar because most of the hardwoods I buck are 16"+ .
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

SasquatchMan

Well, it's all sorta been said - the 55r has a rep for being totally indestructable and absolutely dependable.  It's an older design, and if you want a higher revving unit then the xp series would treat you better.  I think a ported 346 would probably blow a 55 out of the water, so to speak, but someone with more experience can probably comment on that.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Hunter

I think you would be really happy with the 357XP. It alot more power than the 55 and .6 lbs heavier.
I have an EHP ported 357XP and it will out cut a 372xp.
The saw is light and really strong.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

jokers

Hi Ken,

As so many have already stated, the 55 is a very good saw for firewooding. The 346xp has more top end punch but it comes at the expense of less midrange and a higher price tag. The 353 is a very good alternative to the 55. Comparable power and powerband, side acess chain tensioner, snap off air filter cover, and better anti vibe.

Sure the 357 will outcut the 55, but it is also about $200 more.

There are several good Husky dealers within driving distance of you. The first, George Kahler Sales, found here //www.gksales.net/ is probably only 10 miles from you between Rome and New London. Then there is Dan Hudon in Barneveld at //www.hud-son.com/ or Commercial Cutters Direct in Warners at //www.commercialcutters.com/. There is also a new Dolmar dealer know as Wilson`s Saws Sales I believe, on McFarland Rd in Taberg, I would lean toward one of the new "bubble saws" however when looking at Dolmars. They are much more modern than their predecessors.

Russ

woodsjunkie

For fire wood cutting go with the 55 or the 353.in the husky line.. I would stay away form the 359.
The 357 is a good saw, no doubt but very costly for someone to cut firewood with unless your addicted to chainsaws like my self.
A 357 modded or not that OUT CUT'S a 372 is one heck of a saw. I would have to see it to believe it.
I own and run both. The 372 is top notch in the husky line up IMO , good  saw  for just few more $ than the 357.

Don't for get to take a good look at Efco and Dolmar both good saws that you don't hear much about.
Your allowed to have an excuse, you just cant use the same one twice.

kenskip1

To all that have replied,
      Just a short note to express my gratitude to all for the information.The 357XP would be nice however it is out of my price range.From what I have read the Rancher 55 should fit the bill.Now just have to convince the war department of this necessity. Saws like firearms, A man can never have to much of a good thing, thans Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

Thank You Sponsors!