iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Locust

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 25, 2012, 05:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Had a guy call me from Valdese, N.C. today. He has a 30" x 70 ' Black Locust tree that blew over in the last 3 days. He's gonna get it sawed and loaded and said he was looking for a mill to take it to.

I gave him a price of 30 cents, International to saw it. Whether he brings it, I don't know. If he does, I'll take some pics to show.

I have never sawn Black Locust or any Locust. I run 10° blades. Would my blades do the job? It's still green.
My price of 30 cents.....to low, to high....just right?

He said he would call me back, if he does, I'm hoping to go to work or try to save him some time and money and put him on a mill closer to him. He's a pretty good clip from my mill and got my number off C.C.

Thanks!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

If he brings it to you, sounds like you are stuck for doing it for 30 cents. But he won't likely refuse if you decide that is too high and want to come down from that price. ;)

Let us know if you will book another one for that amount. :)

look forward to the pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Brother Been, I regularly saw hardwood for .30 and softwood for .25. I just don't know what to expect sawing B.L.  say_what

Dan_Shade

Black Locust is hard.

The tree could be hollow, and most of it around here can be pretty gnarly, it's tough to get a good cant due to bark inclusions.

I would try to saw it as soon as I could, the longer it sits, the harder it will be.  I use 4 degree bands to saw locust.

Black Locust is hard.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Chuck White

Dave; I've sawn Black Locust with the 10° Double-Hard Wood-Mizer blades.

It saws pretty good when it's fresh cut, just have to slow the feed a little bit after sawing Pine & Hemlock.

If you have some blades with less hook handy, you might want to give them a try.

I just don't think I'd go out and buy blades special to cut a few logs.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Delawhere Jack

I've milled a little locust, not sure if it was black or honey. It came from standing dead trees that came down in a storm. The largest logs were 18-20", I used 9deg bands and didn't have any issues....other than that the logs were gnarly...

westyswoods

Sure don't claim to know much, my experience with BL here in WI is most everything over twelve inches is hollow. The larger the greater chance of it being so.

Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Some good info guys.

It would be nice if ya could buy a box of mixed degree blades for emergencies.  :)

dgdrls

Post,

If it's like yellow Locust cut it soon as you can and get some 7 deg or 4's

I cut yellow that was dried for maybe 2 months on my LT10 with 9deg blades and she was shaking like a Hawaiian hula girl  :o

DGDrls

hackberry jake

Around here 30" would def be hollow. They start getting a soft spot in the middle around 12"
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

SPD748

David,

If you end up with the job and need help let me know. I'd be glad to run down and offbear for ya.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SPD748 on September 25, 2012, 08:11:43 PM
David,

If you end up with the job and need help let me know. I'd be glad to run down and offbear for ya.

-lee

Black Locust?  :D  I may let you do the sawing. I'll off-bear! smiley_thumbsup

WDH

I heard that black locust is hard  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

I have only cut one large tree worth of logs of black locust. If you have a band that doesn't have much set, I might throw it on and use it as long as its sharp. My experience with black locust wasn't bad at all.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 25, 2012, 08:25:33 PM
I heard that black locust is hard  :D.

Arn't you the guy that puts kids in bins?  smiley_kid

Dave Shepard

I've sawn a lot of black locust. I use 4s, but 10s work also. Trouble is finding sound and straight logs around here. The dust makes me sick. Glad I have the wireless remote so I can get away from the dust. I've also set up a 42" barn fan to blow towards the mill. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mikeb1079

i've only sawn a few black locust logs.  all but one behaved fine.  it was the butt log and it was hollow in the middle.  eventually i just gave up on it and turned it into firewood.  i was running 4 degree doublehards from wm.  if the logs are in decent shape and green i bet they wont be too bad to saw.
good luck :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Full Circle

I've used only 10 degree blades in locust (honey and black) with good results, but no 30" logs.  I only recently used both 10 and 7 degree blades on a job with hickory and silver maple and believe there was a noticeable improvement in quality of cut/feed rate with the 7's.  Not telling you what to do, but I'm looking forward to trying the 7's in some locust.

Just watch for stress more than you normally do.  Turn often.... ;)  I think locust is worth the little bit of extra work it can take sometimes.  As a side note, I don't wear a mask when I mill, but I might next time I mill any quantity of locust.  It leaves me with cold-like symptoms for part of the day after milling.  Not bad, but noticeable.

Hope you get the job.
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Dan_Shade

I need to wear a dust mask with locust, it makes me sneeze
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

David,

I swear that I have never had any dealings with goats. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 25, 2012, 07:21:21 PM
Some good info guys.

It would be nice if ya could buy a box of mixed degree blades for emergencies.  :)

That's "knot" a bad idea. So......who's idea was it?  :D :D

(The Resharp guys might not be so keen on it though......... One box with 3 each of 5 different bands....... :-\)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on September 25, 2012, 09:22:53 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 25, 2012, 07:21:21 PM
Some good info guys.

That's "knot" a bad idea. So......who's idea was it?  :D :D

It was my idea.....it wood be nice if we could though. :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 25, 2012, 09:18:45 PM
David,

I swear that I have never had any dealings with goats.

That you can remember.  :D

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!