iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any home made wood treatment recipes?

Started by eddiebo, September 25, 2012, 01:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddiebo

Looking for a way to treat fresh pine 2x's against termites and rot. Cutting and sawing dried dead pines with termites under the bark, and want top make sure and kill bugs and eggs after sawing, and before stacking boards. Any recipes to share?
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

woodmills1

don't know what this will do for termites, but I use

1 part boiled linseed
1 part roofing tar
10 parts diesel fuel
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

scsmith42

FF member WDH has a mix using Solubor (similar to Timbor).  You might check the archives.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

One pound of Solubor in one gallon of water.  You could go to one and one-half pound per gallon to make it a little stronger.  Solubor is a boron fertilizer supplement in a dissolvabe powder form, so you can get it at an Ag chemical supply company.  It is a borate salt with 20.5% elemental boron, so it is safe for humans but not for bugs.  Sprayed on the wood, it will prevent infestation.  However, if the termites are already in the wood, it will not help that much.  The borate salts are water soluble, so repeated wettings will wash the treatment off. 

You should be able to tell if the termites are deep into the wood and not just on the surface.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

eddiebo

Will check local feed store for it tomorrow. Thanks for the tips gents.
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

WDH

If they don't have it, I bet that they can order it for you.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

We have no termites that I know of in this part of the country .However we do have pests that attack drying hardwood .A few years back I had something get into a pile of stickered oak which I assume could have been power post beetles .I literally drowned the whole stack with Sevin from a water aplicater . It must have worked because in using a few planks I saw no bug tunnels .

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Be careful that any treatments you use do not add to the flammability of wood or create an odor. 

Home Depot carries some borate products.  Obviously, read the label. 

For borates to be effective, it takes time for the borate to diffuse into the wood, so the wood should be soaked in the solution or coated several times.  Dry wood will treat faster as it will soak up the solution quickly.  We usually do not need to treat more than the outside which will provide a layer of poison to prevent entry of new insects.  However, cracks or holes that develop after treatment and that expose untreated wood should be re-treated as well to get complete protection.  Ok?
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If you are going to sell the wood you treat, then the treatment must be one that is approved for wood treating.  This is a federal law and is to protect the consumer, the environment and the person sawing or processing the wood.

In any case, the sawdust or scrapes from treated wood must be disposed of properly, which means that it cannot be put on the ground or soil, especially if the treatment is a home concoction, but even for commercial pressure treatments.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

eddiebo

This treatment is for my own 2x4 material for framing, and not for sale.

Thank You Sponsors!