iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lovely certifications!

Started by pigpen, September 24, 2012, 09:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigpen

:P  So caught wind last week late that I have to get my fista certification back... So seconds later I phone up "great lakes timber professionals association" as I was advised to do. This is later on in the after on friday for a time frame... The gentleman that I spoke to was great, said that a gal would call me back on Monday(today) as she did..... only to inform me that the 2 8hr bmp classes i need and are scheduled for this wed. and thur. are full, and then tells me that they don't have another class scheduled for the rest of the year! She says (and I'm not blaming her, she's just doing her job) that they are getting a lot of calls for this same class and might do another class, but no guarantees? Also added that it depended on if the instructor(s) were willing to do a class if it ends up short on people. I offered to travel within reason to obtain the class... NO DICE!  Sure is funny how that works, they make the rules, then don't offer the classes until it works out for their schedule, but we still get to pay them whatever they set the price at! Wish it was that way for us! Sorry for the venting, but to say the least, I was a little overheated!!!!  ;D

beenthere

This must be very frustrating. It is the direction I thought we were headed when SFI first was talked about.
This link tells about some of the "rules".  They got you over the barrel and are giving you the proverbial shaft. IMO

http://fistausa.org/content/how-become-sfi-certified
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

Sorry, Pigpen, that's the land we live in. I'm sad for you, and for all Middleearth. I'd say more, but I would get us sent to the Restricted Topics forum.

Are they going to keep you from working until you get your certification?  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

pigpen

I suspected this day was coming, but figured it wouldn't be so hard to obtain classes... wish I would have kept up on it from years back, but at that time the "bigger" logger I was working for took care of it and I really never thought about it. Oh well I guess... It is funny how a situation @#$$%$ you off and posting it and reading others in the profession agreeing with you cheers a guy up a little. Hope all is well for everyone.

pigpen

Okrafarmer, yep, my trucker said friday that he can't buy any more wood from me until I get it, He didn't know that I didn't have it anymore and without it he can lose his contract with the mill, so I don't blame him either. The only good news is that I'm still landscaping for another 6 weeks or so, then I will be in the woods 5 to 6 days a week, or at least that's what my plan was. I cut wood on the weekends if I have nothing else to do during the summer cause I enjoy being in the woods more than my house I think!  :D Only have shipped a handful of loads this summer, I have been busy either working or wrenching, always something right! lol

1270d

A new change here with Sfi cert is that the credits now follow the particcular person, not only the company.  So if you attend classes as an employee, the credits should follow you if you become self employed.

pigpen

If I'm understanding them correctly, It does here to, I give them my name and that was it and they found me on the list, so It must also go under my name and not just the company.

Okrafarmer

So is that just a Wisconsin thing? What states does it apply to?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

pigpen

Not sure, but one thing I didn't explain, it's the pulp mills that require it, the sawlog mills don't that I know of. So not sure on what states do and don't... Sorry.

Okrafarmer

I was wondering if other members might know. Around here, things seem to be pretty informal. We're nobodies, and they take our pulp.

pigpen

It seems if you have a load here and a load there type of thing they don't ask to many questions, but if you up your production, that's what triggered the question for me... was just checking to see if my trucker was going to be able to haul 1 load a day from me this winter and poof, the magic question popped up! LOL

MJD

The sawmill I sold to/ cut for did require loggers to keep up on our fista certifications because the sold dust/chips to the pulpmill.

SwampDonkey

Around here they just certify the land, not the loggers. And it is most all public land that is certified and Industrial Freehold because the government said so, not Lowes or Time Warner. The governemnt said pick one and go with it, didn't matter which one. SO they took the least restrictive. Large woodlot owners aren't (non industrial) and only a hand full of smaller owners are to make their hobbies look good because they don't cut much anyway. That might sound biased, but they simply aren't a significant source of wood to argue over. One thing everyone has to deal with however is chain of custody and they donned this onto the truckers keeping log books of where the wood is coming and going and the mills taking the wood keeping track of where it comes from. Again just the pulp mills on the certification and all mills for chain of custody. Hard to cut logs without making pulp to. Our biggest problem here is moving pulp because of over supply in the market caused by trying to cut as usual while the milling capacity is collapsing around us.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

I'm thinking that its only for pulp mills in PA.  There are only a few, and it just forced the loggers to either let it lay, or sell it for firewood.  I know our crews went through a program just to sell a few loads a month to a pulp mill.  No need for certification at the sawlog or veneer level.  Apparently no demand. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

It is common in the South for the large companies to require the SFI training, especially loggers that cut on company land or for suppliers that supply the pulpmills.  In the pulp business, the large customers of pulp like Procter & Gamble require the pulpmills to track the origin of the wood and the amount of certified wood that is grown sustainably and certified by SFI, FSC, or the ATFS.  There is also a push by Procter & Gamble for more "certified" wood.

The customers on the lumber side have been less insistent, but Lowes and Home Depot will likely follow suit, but they deal mainly in construction grade softwoods, not hardwoods.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Autocar

What exactly dose those letters stand for ? Seems to me its nuts to put a producer out of work if it's there problem booking a class.
Bill

Meadows Miller

I know how you feel We have a whole lotta paprework and tickets down here in Victoria that you apparently need to work in State owned Forest funny thing is when I started falling and driving equipment I was underage (18yo requirement) buy about 6 years but had the insurance cover to be working out there so the Foresters use to let it slide and not ask the stupid question wheres your FOL Forest Operators License  :) ??? ::) :P  ;) :D :D I just stick to private stuff these days ;) ;D

Have you got it sorted yet ??

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

thecfarm

Maine tracks loads of wood too. When I was cutting on my own land,I didn't need to be certified. The paper mills require the classes. Said they would pay more for the pulp.  ::) I kinda feel the guys putting the clases on are the only ones making money.  ;D  But it has weeded out the guys that was given the logging industry a bad name too. But it also had weeded out alot of the good guys with a just a chain saw and a skidder too.  :( I do need to fill out any paper work that the state requires and tell them how much I was cutting each year. I do feel the classes are good but costly too. A good idea to go to them once,,but to be re certified I feel is a little too much on the wallet for a small time guy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Wenrich

If they were looking for certified wood, then the pulp companies would run out.  Too much private land and very few certify their land.  Only the state is on board, and I don't think the Game Commission has certified.  The Game Commission has stated they aren't in the business of raising trees, just making game habitat.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

240b

Isn't there an exemption for excavation/land clearing contractors some where in the sfi paper work. I know there was when it first came out. Biggest problem I had was the trucker using my number to sell other peoples wood. I kinda gave up on the whole thing after a couple years.......

MJD

Here the DNR require at least 1 guy working the job to be SFI certified to cut on any state owned land, and that is 1 of the reasons I got out of logging. Before that was required I had a great thing going with the local DNR forester he liked my work and would give me lots of jobs+ gave my name to landowners looking to sell timber, it is just plane dumb that a certificate can stand in the way even when they know your a good operator. B.S.

beenthere

Quote from: Autocar on September 25, 2012, 08:33:37 AM
What exactly dose those letters stand for ? Seems to me its nuts to put a producer out of work if it's there problem booking a class.

SFI?

Sustainable Forestry Initiative

http://www.sfiprogram.org/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lumberjack48

If they would have told me that i had to be certified to cut wood, i would have told them where to put the wood, the light don't shine to good there.

There should be a Grandfather Act, for men that have logged or trucked x yrs.

This is just more control, why can't they leave a working man alone.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Autocar

Lumberjack 48 Iam with you brother  :D :D :D. Thanks Beenthere I looked the site over Iam still siding with Lumberjack 48  :D.
Bill

thecfarm

Ron,sorry I said it wrong. The land is not certified,mine is not. I meant a logger needs to take the classes to be cetified. I really don't know what certified land is. In Maine there is tree growth. You have a plan and you can only cut what the plans tells you to and when.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!