iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash Trees

Started by Ron Scott, September 23, 2012, 10:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Look Out Below!

Ash trees killed by the emerald ash borer are becoming dangerous. They rot at the ground line and can fall without warning. It does not have to be a windy day. Loggers are becoming more wary about cutting them, as the tops break off when they start to fall and can come back on the cutter. Be aware when you're in the woods.

MFA Newsletter
~Ron

Okrafarmer

Thank you, Ron. A wise warning. It wasn't an ash, but one of our friends who is a tree service owner was recently hit by a freak falling tree while he was out doing an estimate. (on a different tree!) I didn't hear all the details, like what kind of tree it was, but ash are not common in this area, and I don't think we have EAB yet, so I'm suggesting the chances are 99% or more that it was another kind of tree. Anyway, it broke his femur and he had other lesser injuries. He'll be all right eventually, but it was just one of those things. That happened within the last two weeks or so.

So, since we have to be vigilant around trees at all times anyway, let's be especially vigilant around ashes now.

Ron, is it saying these trees are still alive and compromised when they break, or completely dead?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thechknhwk

Dropped 4 today.  It was a little windy, had to wedge one over, but all is well.  A lot of them have hit the ground around here on there own, but mostly the smaller ones.  I see some of the bigger ones are starting to grow mushrooms on the butt near ground level which I will assume means they are begining to get some sapwood rot.  My property is about clear, but I haven't hardly hit the neighbor's 15 acres and he told me it's open season 8)

thechknhwk

I also have a lot of insidious ash that won't die......................

Mountain Ash, what a PITA.  I give the kids a bottle of crossbow to spray the stumps of the ones that get in my way.

thechknhwk

As you warned I had a top come back at me a few days ago.  Certainly made me reconsider what the heck I'm doing out there.  It was a smaller firewood tree, but it sure would have hurt like mad.  The tree spun a little on the stump and took the saw with it.  It was falling in the desired direction so I watched from near the stump to see if the butt was going to take the saw out when all the sudden the top broke out and came back at me (I didn't see it coming since I was looking at the saw).  It broke out about 25-30' up and landed a few feet from me and flung a bunch of dirt up in my eyes under my saftey glasses.  Had to step back and think, "someone's watching me today, phew."

thecfarm

I suppose you know,BUT. I practice the 45° angle to get way from any tree. I move or cut anything  that I feel might trip me up if I really have to start to move. I dislike to pound a wedge into a dead tree too,but I do it. I'm afraid the vibrations might make the top break off. I've had trees break 2,3,4 times before even hitting the ground.  :o Try not to saw the tree off the stump either and leave a good workable hinge. It all sounds so easy don't it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Just a note, Mountain Ash is not an ash other than in name. They are from the genus Sorbus, not Fraxinus, which is a true ash.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thechknhwk

Quote from: Jeff on October 01, 2012, 01:02:39 PM
Just a note, Mountain Ash is not an ash other than in name. They are from the genus Sorbus, not Fraxinus, which is a true ash.

Understood.  I initially had the hardest time trying to identify the pesky thing.  I thought it was some invasive species, but according to my "Michigan Trees" book it's native to MI and I think northern OH/IN/IL which makes it odd that they call it mountain ash since we seem to lack mountains.  They also get berries which I understand birds eat, it makes them sick, passes right through them and proliferates the seeds everywhere.  I hate the stuff with a passion almost as red hot as the hatred I have for poison ivy.

Jeff

They (mountain ash, or Rowan) are the preferred tree for making magic wands and staffs, so be careful with that hatred.  ;) :)

ely

good stuff boss, but you better stick with the fishing ;D

Jeff

It's absolutely true. I'd not make something like that up. :)

http://www.thegoddesstree.com/trees/Rowan.htm

WDH

Yes, you could cave a rune in it and vex your enemies.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on October 01, 2012, 10:55:29 PM
Yes, you could cave a rune in it and vex your enemies.

Or carve one. I'm telling you, WDH, sometimes you seem to type with a Maine accent.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Yes, that would be much easier  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thechknhwk

Corley5

I cut four bug killed ash yesterday.  The tops weren't brittle yet but I kept my eye in the tops as they fell.  I was surprised at how many larvae channels there were under the bark  :( 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WDH

Once the EAB kills them, the other bugs move in fast.  Ash is wood candy to a beetle.

Thank You Sponsors!