iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Definately not a PNW Logger!

Started by KyLogger, September 23, 2012, 08:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyLogger

Well guys tonight I thoroughly embarrassed myself in front of a pretty big audience! I am with my family on vacation in Pigeon Forge, TN. Anyhow we went to the "Feuding Lumberjack" dinner show, featuring Stihl Powersports Prof. "Lumberjacks" Well they picked me to participate in the pole climbing event! Now I did have on vibrams and jeans, but I was in no way prepared to race up a pole with spurs and a flipline!!! I have only been in spurs once before and it was up a utility pole size tree, this was a whole different ball game! I got spanked!!! My family got a good laugh and I did too.............but it hurt my pride a little. I have now come to the conclusion that I will become a good climber, so I am starting my search for spurs and belt and a flipline, anyone got any decent used gear let me know, if not I will buy new I guess.......................stupid pride!!  :D Just one more excuse to learn a new skill and acquire more junk....er.... I mean gear!!

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thenorthman

next time leave yer flip line a little long and take big bites up the tree pull with your hands as you step up repeat until exhausted...
well that didn't work

Okrafarmer

Climbing is a great thing to learn. Be sure to learn all the safety stuff. My boss learned when he was 39 or so, and he's about 44 now. He's like a  smiley_monkeyfight. (I should say, up in the tree, that is). Be careful though. I didn't learn well enough, and when I tried it without experienced coaching, I hurt myself. My boss also fell out of a tree once. A couple cracked ribs, I think, is what he got, he came off rather blessed compared to how bad it could have been.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

KyLogger

Yeah, the instructions were keep rope tight, step with heel, step with heel and flip.......repeat. Also the flip line wasn't tied off to my sides but rather on the front center of the harness along with a belay line, I guess I should have taken up more slack with my hands but they made you climb with slick, worn leather gloves and full wrap chaps!!

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

thenorthman

My partner in crime doesn't use gloves... he is knutz though, I use the old method of feeding the flip line all the way through my belt because the flip line is reinforced with cable and the belt is just leather... (old skhool) any way pulling with your hands makes everything a little easier and faster, do not get the flip line below your knees,  this is a bad thing,  means you can flip upside down and someone has to come up behind you and get you free,  usually involves an axe and a brief stop,  try to use gloves with reinforced knuckles, when (not if) you slip squeeze the flip line and then your hands will smack into the tree, not fun with bare knuckles, but beats sliding all the way to the  bottom or smacking your nose and then sliding all the way to the bottom.  If at all possible find someone locale willing to teach you hands on, its not easy but its a hel of a way to see a great few.  They make a gripper for flip lines that is allot safer than the old cats paw knot I suggest finding one of these, don't work with the old manila rope though which I prefer because my gloves hold it a little  better and its usually sold in longer lengths.  Have fun...
well that didn't work

bigred1951

my step dad had an old pair of spurs and belts. I use to put em on and go out and climb the trees in the yard. Except when i would get up to about 10 feet or so id get scared lol but i was only like 13 at the time. A year ago my uncle thought he was a climber and was climbing trees around his house to cut them down and he climbed up one about 50ft and the rope broke. He got lucky cause i had just walked outside after it happened and i just happened to look up at his house and seen him laying there in the driveway. it broke his hip and his left arm in 3 places the worst being the wrist where the bone actually went through the skin. i run up there and called the ambulance. He can barely move that hand now a year later so gotta be careful

Thank You Sponsors!