iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metavic vs Farmi forwarding trailer

Started by oldbones, September 23, 2012, 05:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldbones

Preferences, benefits of one manufacturer versus the other? Considering for use with 50 hp tractor.

Haven't seen anything posted recently, so thought I would ask.

thanx.

Spalted Dog

When I was looking at them I liked them both.  I think Bill M has a Metavic, looks like a nice rig and I believe he uses it to its fullest.  I think If I could afford one I would go with Farmi.  I like that the pieces are "componentized".  If a leg or something gets bent or worse you can just replace that part.  I went to Northeast Implement and saw some of the parts (they did not have one in stock)  And they look VERY well made.

I ended up building one and am very happy with the trailer part, the crane is a cable style one like a venturo.  It is pretty slow, but much faster than doing what we were doing before.  Last week I loaded about a 4500 lb oak log and did it pretty well, I would say that is its max though.  I will eventually convert to all hydraulic with a knuckle and clam.  I don't have a lot into it and works very well for what I need.  Do not over estimate what your tractor will handle safely.  These things get very heavy for their size.  I have a very heavy 35 hp +/_ 6000lb tractor and it is no where close to what I need.  It pulls fine, its when you are climbing a hill and you spin out and don't have enough brake to stop thats the problem.  I am looking at a 50 hp now that is much heavier, so hope that helps.

How much would you use it?  If you are going to use daily for production, I think that the Farmi would be for me.  However I have not used one personally.
The older I get the less I used to know.

woodmills1

I like my metavic, use it much, and am still amazed at what that little loader will do.

check out payeur.com
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

bill m

I have a Metavic and use it every day.

I spent almost 3 years looking before I bought mine. I like the twin beam style frame better than the mono beam. I think they are a lot stronger. What size are you looking for and what size timber do you plan on cutting?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thecfarm

bill m.I can not hardly believe that tractor and loader does all that,but I know it does. If I can somehow afford one someday,that's what I want.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Piston

Do you have a compact 50hp tractor? Or a utility sized 50hp tractor?  What is the make and model that you will be hauling it with? 

Quote from: thecfarm on September 27, 2012, 08:11:33 PM
If I can somehow afford one someday,that's what I want.

I'm just gonna buy Bill's when he is ready to part with it. :D

Hey Bill,
Are you still using your 3pt grapple much? 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

pigpen

that sure is a neat loader trailer, sure would be handy to have on the landing or at home to unload odd loads and what not. do I dare ask what $ they go for???  :-\

bill m

Piston, no I don't use the grapple much any more although I do have it on the landing at my job in Pittsfield. It works perfect for small land clearing but not so good for production logging. If I did just firewood with a few occasional saw logs it would be ok but with the size of timber I have been doing it just doesn't cut it. I guess if I had two tractors I might use it more often.
Pigpen, yes my trailer is real handy and has been working out better than I expected. As for price it was almost $30,000 with the 4 wd option 5 years ago.

David-L

Is the tongue artculating or a straight job on your trailer Sir. I am buying a 9 ton trailer to fit my grapple on and I am not sure which tongne configuration to get and the articulating one is $2 grand more. Any thoughts.  David
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

bill m

No, I do not have the articulating tongue on my trailer. It would be nice in some instances but I can do without it. If you are on any side hills it does make the trailer a lot easier to tip over. What do you have for a tractor?

David-L

It is a Valtra 900 4WD that weighs about 10K. Very high clearance and is made by the Fins. It is pre AGCO and is totally built in finland. I have owned a few tractors and this one is by far the best yet. Simple and very easy to operate with a SISU diesel that purr's. The trailer I am looking at is a Kelsa 9T non-articulating. I guess if I buy this and don't like it the resale value could be up there as not many of these come up used for sale in my neck of the woods. Thanks for your input. Caveman.

bill m

David-L Where are you located and what is the terrain like? If you have any hills or could be working in snow or soft ground you should consider the 4wd option.

woodmills1

maybe a picture

for some reason I can't find another already loded picture of my metavic

maybe they predate the big crash of FF  what a horrible thought

man that was a black day at woodmills  my metavic, along with my sawmill have made a nice way to make a living doing a nice thing

the little red loader, and the Kioti tractors, both one and two are invaluable around the mill

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

I wish I could find the Christmas picture of my mom on the metavic that made the calender

oldbones

bill--

which metavic is that? $30k sounds high compared to the trailers i was looking at. clearly they weren't the ones you got your hands on.

am i right in thinking you are pulling that with a 4wd tractor that's about 45 hp?

can you put the trailer right next to the log? even in rough terrain? or do you winch some stuff to the road?

i'm looking for something that would work with a 55 hp 4wd machine.

if i get a metavic, or the like, will i wish i had a bigger tractor, as one guy suggested?

bill m

oldbones, My trailer is a 17RF, 1400xt loader with the hydraulic drive option. The hyd. drive was over $9000 extra and worth every penny. Even though my tractor is 55 hp, 4wd, all tires are loaded and chained up I still need the drive assist on the trailer sometimes. One of the biggest benefits of the hyd. drive is when backing up a hill. When backing up around a sharp corner the tractor wants to push the trailer sideways but with the hyd drive assist it will pull the trailer around the corner so it doesn't jackknife. I will also use the hyd. drive assist as brakes when coming down a steep hill with a load on. Sometimes when starting a new job I will cut and winch stuff out until I get the woods open enough to get around with my trailer. After that most times i can get close enough to just pick up the logs. The foresters I work with are always amazed at where I can go with my tractor/trailer.

ahlkey

I also have a Metavic forwarding trailer but it has the articulated wheels. The trailer with the articulation works like a snake and I can get into and out of some very tight spots.  Never thought I would use it that much but would never have one without it now.  It is the smaller 1150 M12 with the 15RF trailer.  I have a larger 1400 loader on a highway trailer and that works well. Loading on my manual sawmill is a breeze with the Metavic.   I found Metavic good people to work with me.

oldbones

gentlemen,

thank you. i am grateful for your help.

oldbones

oh, one further question: am i correct in thinking you bought direct from payeur in quebec, not a local dealer?

thecfarm

articulate tongue, is this where the tongue will not move with the tractor or trailer? The part that is connected to the tractor will stay kinda level?
articulate wheels, Can go over a rock or stump and the axle will pivot? Like a front axle on a tractor?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bill m

I bought directly from Payeur. On some brands of trailers the tongue can articulate from side to side so you can maneuver through the woods easier. They can be unstable on side hills if you try to steer. The Metavic axle assembly will articulate side to side to steer the trailer. When you do this it actually makes the wheel base wider so you don't loose any stability.

ahlkey

The hitch on my trailer has a swivel connection so the trailer could tip over and the tractor would remain stationary. I believe it is a good option but never had it go over on me. As far as articulated wheels all four of them will move sides ways in both directions as needed so can't really imagine you would need the tongue to articulate as well.  Really improves a lot your ability to snake around in tight trails and backing up is a lot easier.   As far as stumps or rocks all four wheels operate separately of each other and move upward at least a foot or more to help balance the load.   With the articulated option keep in mind you will need at least another set of hydraulic hookups on your tractor and make sure you have enough GPM on your tractor to run everything efficiently. 

woodmills1

I have the 360 rotation on my hitch, and have tested it....... :o :o good feature

the 2 trailer wheels and tires on mine are on what I think is called a walking beam axel    very good for extreme ground contours

but as I said I flipped mine but it didn't take the tractor with it

tuolumne

Quote from: bill m on September 27, 2012, 07:05:46 PM
I have a Metavic and use it every day.

I am researching this now.  How is the 4WD activated?  The sales rep was unclear.  You mentioned using it like brakes in another post.  Not needing the electric or hydraulic brake option would pay for part of the 4WD option.  Is the hydraulic flow from a separate set of remotes than the loader?  Does the operator feather hydraulics to establish the speed, or is it on/off?  I assume a relief valve would prevent tearing things up when traction is established; i.e. blacktop.  We are purchasing some property that averages 10-15%.  In your experience will a driven trailer be effective on this terrain?  I can get a tractor around on our current adjoining property in the winter provided I run chains.  All loaded hauls could be downhill and empty runs uphill.  Thanks for any input.

David-L

My experience so far is that if you have a big enough tractor that is 4wd that is your brakes. Brakes and a drive system can add alot to the price of the trailer.  The articulation on the tongue can be very useful when in the woods and in a tight spot. The trailer follows the tractor wheel tracks. If i did not own a skidder I would get these trailer options maybe or get a bigger 4wd tractor. Good luck and I use this equipment the most and don't know how I did everthing I do here at the farm without it. I have the articulating tongue and it is the one item I would get for sure. 
                                          David l

Thank You Sponsors!