iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures and Ideas for saw dust collection/removal and uses.

Started by vfauto, September 23, 2012, 06:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

:P I thought it might be helpful to some of us if you all could post pictures and ideas for collection/removal and uses of sawdust from a portable saw mill. 99% of the time it is stationary. I do not need to make the system portable, it can stay at the barn.Also what options are ther for using saw dust,can it be used for heat?

Thanks Frank
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

bandmiller2

Frank, sometimes simple trumps everything else.My bandmill is setup on a smooth concrete floor.The shute lays down a predictable row of dust behind the mill which I push into a pile with a snow pusher.If you have enough overhead you can attach a hose that will swing with the mills travel to a blower.Bandmill sawdust is finer and does not require as heavy duty blower as a circular mill.Some folks build a trough behind the mill with a belt conveyer on the bottom to carry the dust out. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

POSTON WIDEHEAD

VFAUTO, This is what works best for me. A heavy canvas that lays beside the mill. When it gets full, I pull it out with my backhoe and dump it. It takes 5 minutes and the break from sawing to carry the dust off is relaxing.

And for recycling the sawdust, I have 3 piles. 1 pile rots and my Dad puts the sawdust in his Potato beds. The other pile I sale to a horse farm. They use it in their stalls.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

EZland

I like your method, but my wife is not gong to let me by a Backhoe.  Well not yet.  lol

EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

POSTON WIDEHEAD

paul case

David,
I wonder about pulling that out with an 4 wheeler? Could you pull it back over the top and slip the tarp out of the pile? Not everyone has a nice loader like you and me ;D .

I have the $100 HF portable sawdust collector with 4'' flexible sewer pipe set up overhead, but the blower keeps giving out on me. It works ok when it is working but it would want to get a piece of bark hung up in the fins of the blower and vibrate a lot.

I would like to fix up something more robust like a blower from an old belt driven hammermill. Those were set up to blow chopped hay so I think they would just swallow the bark and go right on. I think you could turn it with a 2 or 3 hp motor.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

paul case

I guess the 4 wheeler would work so will your wife go for that or does she want to pull it out by hand? on second thought  use your pickup before you ask her to pull it out by hand.PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

fishpharmer

Here's a picture of the system Pineywood's came up with.  I took the picture during a nice visit with him a few years ago.

Paul Case, is this similar to your setup?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

paul case

pc

mikeb1079

since i live in the city i built my mill on a tandem axle trailer so that i can mill away from the neighbors.  when my sawdust pile gets to be too high i just drive er on down the highway!!   :D :D 8) 8)

sure get some funny looks sometimes   :) :)

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

drobertson

Hey fishpharmer, this is typical of the ones I have seen. And real close to what I plan on doing.  It works, for sure. Thanks for the pic.  the other one shown I suppose works too. Some folks may like to have some compost material.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

fishpharmer

Thank Pineywoods, its his design. He's a clever chap :).

I must admit, I like the simplicity of Poston's setup. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: paul case on September 23, 2012, 08:58:26 AM
David,
I wonder about pulling that out with an 4 wheeler? Could you pull it back over the top and slip the tarp out of the pile? Not everyone has a nice loader like you and me ;D .

PC

Yes, I have pulled it with the Kabota 4x4.....easy. But to answer your question, once I lift the sawdust skid up with the bucket, I slightly turn and drive forward and watch the sawdust dump right off. Then, drag it back to the mill. I never have to get off the backhoe, and I don't have a blower to get stopped up.

beenthere

Quote from: mikeb1079 on September 23, 2012, 09:48:36 AM
since i live in the city i built my mill on a tandem axle trailer so that i can mill away from the neighbors.  when my sawdust pile gets to be too high i just drive er on down the highway!!   :D :D 8) 8)

sure get some funny looks sometimes   :) :)

Until the law gets you for littering, or not securing your 'load'.   :)
Apparently you have been lucky so far.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodey

The setup I have save me a lot of time moving sawdust. I use a 3 HP Grizzly Dust Collector (2300 CFM) with 4" drain pipe. I have a threaded swivel that moves back and forth to keep the drain pipe from binding. Also use a 10' flex hose. I have found that the shorter the flex hose the more suction power I have.   

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Satamax

There's an invaluable page http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/

I've made a cyclone for my ww tools after this. Push through design, to keep some oomph.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

vfauto

Your pictures are not showing.
Quote from: Woodey on September 23, 2012, 01:11:24 PM
The setup I have save me a lot of time moving sawdust. I use a 3 HP Grizzly Dust Collector (2300 CFM) with 4" drain pipe. I have a threaded swivel that moves back and forth to keep the drain pipe from binding. Also use a 10' flex hose. I have found that the shorter the flex hose the more suction power I have. 

The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

caveman

A couple of weeks ago while sawing PT utility poles (jmoore did a commendable job of finding metal-none hit), I placed a blue tarp on the ground under the sawdust chute.  After sawing two 16' poles, the tarp was bunched up like a hobo bag and dumped in a large can.  As long as you did not over load your tarp this would work well for a hobbiest.  For serious weekend warriors and stationary sawyers, Pineywood's setup seems to be the berries. A flexible end could be attached and used to fill wagons or trailers. We use the sawdust (not pt) for bedding the kids' show hogs.  Caveman
Caveman

Thehardway

After you figure out how you want to collect it, it can be burned.  I local commercial sawmill uses sawdust and waste wood it to fire a boiler, the boiler drives a low pressure steam turbine which generates all the power for the mill operation and provides waste heat for the kiln operation.  A very efficient setup.  There are outdoor woodstoves that have feed systems for sawdust.  Sawdust contains a lot of power, especially if it is very fine, it can even be explosive so be careful. 
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Bandmill Bandit

My system is pretty simple.

Depending on the job I either have a wheel barrow an FEL or a tote bag to dump the pails into.

Has been working real well for me.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

wwsjr

I have been using a 2HP 220V blower for about 6 yrs. Input from mill is 4" flex pipe, output is 4" PVC drainpipe. I blow the dust about 50' from mill where I can use my FEL bucket to move. I have replaced parts of flex a few times using splice and worm clamps.
I have Command Control so pipe is not in my way when sawing.

I used AC vent pipes for connection.

6" screw clamp on mill dust outlet.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

drobertson

wwsjr, very nice! this is what I have seen.  and what I will do.  How does it work for you?

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Brucer

I have a trench beside my mill, 10' wide and 1-1/2' deep, running the full length. When the wind is to my back, I raise the sawdust chute and let the sawdust blow out into the trench. When the wind is in my face, I drop the chute and sawdust piles up on the lip of the trench. I shovel this into the trench (or onto the pile) while the saw is cutting.

The sawdust piles up to a height of 4-1/2' or so before I have to shift it with the front end loader. I just shift it to a large pile near the entrance to the yard and local gardeners/livestock owners/mechanical shops come and help themselves.

I was just about to start moving it last month when a local farmer came by and saved me the trouble ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

wwsjr

The only problem I have had with the blower setup is sawing fresh cut cypress. The wet dust packs in the blower so I have had to remove the pipe and wheelbarrow the dust. I have not had any problem cutting pine, oak, cedar, popular. Overall a big time saver removing the dust.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Thank You Sponsors!