iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Light bulb of the future.

Started by Jeff, September 23, 2012, 12:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I wish I would have known about this sooner. I would have tried to find the money to throw at it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/limemouse/lifx-the-light-bulb-reinvented
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fishpharmer

You can still donate with no reward.  It is a neat idea. 

The whole kckstarter idea is pretty cool itself.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

Doesn't every option say sold out?

Ianab

Yeah, but you can still send them money, just you don't get a light bulb.

May as well wait until the 2nd batch is built, using the profit from the first run, and actually buy one then.

The technology looks good. LEDs are a good source of light and they probably use a little ARM processor in each lamp to do the communication and dimming. Changing the colour is just matter of adjusting the individual Red/Green/Blue LEDs that are making up the while light. Think they need to work on a web interface for it, and maybe a standalone control panel. Bit of pain to have to find you phone to adjust the lights....

But the technology is all pretty normal stuff, just they have tied it all together.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Pretty dang cool stuff. I don't think CFL's are much good. They say 5 years on the boxes and you do well to get 3, even when hardly used. We have some here and they sure aren't being used to burn the # of hours they claim. Also, gotta watch what your buying, the type of light, the output and hours. But still the hours from what I'm seeing ain't even close.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mad murdock

Now that is just too cool!! Thanks for posting that up Jeff! Now I want to re-tool the lighting in the house :) S D, the only way I was ever able to get any serious life out of a CFL, has been to leave the light on all the time, then I would have it last more that 4 years, believe it or not! Kind of defeats the purpose of goIng wih an energy saving bulb tough. These LifX bulbs look about as revolutionary as Mr. Edison's original idea!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

sprucebunny

I like the LED light bulb idea but I won't be buying a $400 phone and the WiFi stuff and paying $80 a month to control it !!

Call me cheap and hand me a flashlight  :D

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

doctorb

Slow down a little guys.  Sure it's cool.  Does all kinds of things you don't need and a few that you might.  But what is going to be the cost of these bulbs?????  Saving on energy costs has to take into account the cost of this new technology.  Heck, I own an iPhone and I am not sure the cost of these bulbs will make me want to turn a light from white to blue when I am at work.  If it were such a great idea and investment, do you think that they would be asking for tiny donations online???  And the technology may not be proprietary, meaning that other people can make this same type of bulb without infringing on your product.  So.....slow down a litlle.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

I'm not interested in investing in it to make money, or to save money. Sometimes cool just overrides common sense.  The same guy that bought a video disc player in about 1981.  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chgt9y0Insw

doctorb

I hope you still have that! :D  Might be worth something????
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

No worries here Doc, no money for such toys.  :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Al_Smith

Quote from: mad murdock on September 23, 2012, 05:59:42 AM
  S D, the only way I was ever able to get any serious life out of a CFL, has been to leave the light on all the time, then I would have it last more that 4 years, believe it or not!  !
Too much ado about the almighty CFL's .All they really are is a redesigned self ballasted flourescent bulb which has been around for decades .The way the envelope is designed on CFL's produces more surface area there fore they illuminate better .

With any flourscent tube ,bulb,lamp or whatever you want to call them you wear the light out by starting them .

Truth be known LED's are probabely a better choice for higher illumination on less power consumption than CFLs' .You know the good old gov though money can buy just about anything .

They whined and cried until they took freon off the market now incandescent light bulbs knowing full well any flourescent tube contains mercury .What next ,ten dollar bulb that has a toxic waste label on it and costs 30 bucks to dispose of ? Good grief !

OneWithWood

For Joan and Paul

smiley_lit_bulb

keep it in a safe place, like under a bushel basket  :D ;)

Jeff, we actually have one of those at Elm House with about 200 titles. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Paul_H

Quote from: OneWithWood on September 26, 2012, 12:14:28 PM

keep it in a safe place, like under a bushel basket  :D ;)

Hide it under a bushel,no I'm gonna let it shine. smiley_singsongnote01
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Cypressstump

regarding CFL's,,, they are not quite the cats meow either. Thye have a reputation of burning out the ballast on the base, it happend to me twice now. The burnouts have casued house fires to others, I caught mine as it was arcing out.. :-\

Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Al_Smith

Like I say too much ado about CFL's .The idea is old as the hills just the design is relatively new .

Now you just watch before too long the danged things will get the greenies up in arms when they end up in a land fill .Oh the legislation that will come of that will be far reaching .They'll make as big of a deal out of that as they did freon 12 before it's all over .

Jeff

Here is another amazing lighting invention. I'd get a bunch of them and turn off the regular lights.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/282006

Ianab

I saw that gravity light online the other day. Sure looked like an interesting idea. Basically the same principle as the old clocks with the weights that you had to lift up again each week. Just running an efficient little generator and an LED instead.

No rules of physics are broken, you supply the energy by lifting up a bag of rocks. In return you get 30 mins of light. No battery needed so that keeps down the cost. Gravity is the battery.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Hey, I still have to wind my "old" clocks every 7 days. :D

On another note, I had to replace a 26 watt cfl after a year and it hasn't been used 500 hrs.  So when it says I save $220 over 5 years on electricity, where did the $220 and 5 years go? ::)

Larry

I'm not ready for a light bulb of the future.  Still enjoying my lava lamp along with the Moody Blues and Led Zeppelin. ;D

I'm not sure I could take much more high tech. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jeff

Not a lightbulb, but a receptacle. A little pricy, but i wish I had a few.  :)
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e81a/?srp=13

Raider Bill

Quote from: Larry on December 16, 2012, 10:21:45 AM
I'm not ready for a light bulb of the future.  Still enjoying my lava lamp along with the Moody Blues and Led Zeppelin. ;D

I'm not sure I could take much more high tech. :D

What no black light and posters ;D?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Al_Smith

There was some phenominum about black lights and ladies under garments or lack there of which was obvious if I recall right .Perhaps that was the intent of the light show .I didn't mind at the time . ;D

mad murdock

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 15, 2012, 06:25:03 AM
Hey, I still have to wind my "old" clocks every 7 days. :D

On another note, I had to replace a 26 watt cfl after a year and it hasn't been used 500 hrs.  So when it says I save $220 over 5 years on electricity, where did the $220 and 5 years go? ::)
SD didn't you know that when you burn CFL's you jump through the space-time continuum? I find time really speeds up with them DanG things! :rifle:
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

OneWithWood

Good post, Jeff.  I think I will install one or two in the addition to the barn I am building.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!