iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wish us luck!!!

Started by Woodhauler, September 22, 2012, 07:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Heading out at 4 am to go after the moose!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

clww

Have a great hunt (with lots of pictures)! 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Good luck to you. What part of Maine are you hunting in?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodhauler

Quote from: thecfarm on September 22, 2012, 07:53:12 PM
Good luck to you. What part of Maine are you hunting in?
Zone 6 fort fairfeild over to ashland down to houlton.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Knute

Sounds like great fun. Good luck!

James Arsenault

Hope all goes well, and a great time is had.

I know that zone well. Several of the moose hunts I've been on have been in that zone, and I have a friend in Easton (town between Presque Isle and New Brunswick) that I stay with when I go up waterfowl hunting each year.

You can hunt either broccoli eating moose in the farmlands on the east side, or twig munchers on the west side in the logging country. Very diversified zone.

Moose are moose and all are good eating, but the broccoli fed moose are hard to beat as tablefare though!!!!!!!!

SwampDonkey

Hey there, you might be tagging one of my moose if he steps over the border. :D  8) Heck if 20 of them critters was shot close to here, I think 20 more would show up. :D

Won't get any easier than this. Which one? I'll drive him across. They are about 400 yards from Maine. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR2A3AypFVM
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Just so all the others won't think moose are every wheres in Maine. If I see two a year on my land that is alot for me. Most times I only see one. I see deer quite often,but probaly the same ones over and over. But come hunting season they go into hiding some mighty fine.  :( I would say I'm more than 4 hours from where the big hunt is going on. I just barely went over the Houlton line,once. Just to say I've been to Houlton.  ::)  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

There's two Maines. The ones too scared stay below Bangor, including the timid ones below Bangor that don't stick around long. Then there's the rest of'm.  :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

When you go around the mountain up here (Mars Hill) you see a lot of new homes that have been built over the last 10 years. Must be a lot retiring and building around the mountain. When I was a kid, and I'm not that old, the little town of Mars Hill was a boom town. Now it's pretty much dried up. Always liked Presque Isle and Caribou to. Lots of good memories. :) Our closest town on the NB side is Woodstock, it never had much and still don't. The people there don't support anything.

Mooseherder

It used to be if you didn't see a Moose on or around our property everyday you just weren't paying close enough attention. ;)
The last couple years we have seen less Moose.  We still see plenty of signs that they are there with their poop and Moose foot prints though.
When we got there in May there was 5 piles of fresh poop on one side of the cabin 20 feet from the door.
There have been a lot more Deer sightings which supposedly affects their habitat.
I saw a Bear in August cross the ATV trail in front of me at a 100 yards.  He was a big one.  They have been bagging huge bears this year in the 600 lb. range.

rick f

Gooduckm on your hunt. I'm up here to do potato harvest. I'll be on the egypt road, just off the  easton road. I'n at the Ireland Farms. I'm staying with friends on state road( 227) just into maplton on the way to Ashland.

Good Luck
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

SwampDonkey

I know all them places to rick. You can't hide from me. ;D :D

Just got back from an 8 mile walk. Seen some sign on the road and in the trails, but no bodies. Looks like some high wind took out some aspen along the road, up by the root ball. One was broke at a canker, but it had been healing. Not now.

James Arsenault

SwampDonkey.....my friend in Easton I stay with is on the Gray Rd., and he has a panoramic view of the hills/mtns. over the border in NB, he's only a mile or two from the border....looking south off his porch, I can see the wind towers on Mars Hill Mtn.......every time I have been up there, I can hear a skidder or two over in Canada.....he has a friend who owns land right on the border, and a few years ago that friend had a landowner moose permit. They actually called the bull over from Canada, and had a panic attack when they thought the moose would make it back across the border before it succumbed to their shots, haha. When it fell, it was only yards in Maine!

I live below Bangor, only because some of my living came from the sea, and my family is here. I ain't a bit scared to venture wherever to the North for whatever, LOL!!!!

SwampDonkey

This time of the year I can often here a bull a few yards away in the thick of it making that gargling noise when looking for his cow. This would be on the woodlot. Can't see too easy now on my woodlot because the trees are getting tall and even the trails are growing in with softwoods. They make that noise often times when muscling another bull too, they will stand off and gargle more than fight. Seen two one morning 5 years ago (time sure flies) laying in the sedges about 10 and 25 feet away, steep rolling off. They stood up as I watched and began pushing with the antlers. It wasn't even rough, more play like. I walked out to the trail and their was miss moose. :D This was plantation, so between the rows is pretty much trail, but grow up with wild trees that get brushed out. That was what I was doing, until these two monsters got in the way. :D

Woodhauler

Just rolled in! 700LB bull with a 40 inch spread.  Seen lots of bulls, but nothing huge. Guys with the permit had a hard time hitting one! Saw 6 bulls and 6 cows/calfs in 3 days.

SwampDonkey

This morning I saw a bull on the woodlot. Just a young one, small rack. He was lying down in my aspen stand. He got up and wouldn't even move. I made a little noise and he ran off then. Yesterday on the woodlot I scared off a cow which ran down into the area I seen the bull today.  8)

thecfarm

Hope you got some pictures Great White Hunter.  ;D  Congrats on the moose.

Woodhauler

Quote from: thecfarm on September 26, 2012, 05:47:02 PM
Hope you got some pictures Great White Hunter.  ;D  Congrats on the moose.
Got a few, will try to load one.

rick f

I saw one about that size being weighed in Presque Isle about 11:30 this morning. It was taken out rt. 227 toward  Ashland. Maybe it was you guys. Congrats in filling your tag.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Woodhauler

Quote from: rick f on September 26, 2012, 06:40:52 PM
I saw one about that size being weighed in Presque Isle about 11:30 this morning. It was taken out rt. 227 toward  Ashland. Maybe it was you guys. Congrats in filling your tag.
No, shot it in near #9 mountain off the warren rd in mars hill. Tagged it in houlton.

Autocar

You got a winters supply of meat and it's as natural as it gets  ;)
Bill

SwampDonkey

Just across the line from me. ;D

clww

Congratulations to you, Woodhauler! 8) 8) 8)
That's a bunch of good tasting meat.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

The hunt begins here in NB today I think. Saw a bull yesterday and a cow the day before on my woodlot. The cow was skiddish. The bull was lying down and when he stood up wouldn't move unless I made some noise. Nothing dumber than a moose. ;D He was a young bull, still foolish. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!