iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hackberry Maple

Started by HousewrightVA, September 22, 2012, 01:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HousewrightVA

This is the trunk of a young Red Maple in my woods. It is about 3"  dbh and appears to be very healthy with a good crown. The "warts" are present from the ground to the top.
What causes this?

skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

beenthere

Toads, is what I have been told..... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

That is what happens when maple consorts with hackberry  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

In about 30-40 years, that tree will make beautiful lumber. We have a fair number of what I call "barnacled maple" around here, but it doesn't look quite like that, instead, it is covered with small to medium burls. When it gets big enough to mill, it is quite interesting, I'm sure, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to get any yet, although I have my eye on one. . . .
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

RynSmith

Wow, I've never seen that before.  How common is it?

Phorester

Got a picture of the leaves?

WDH

Does it have thorns like on a rose bush?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I wonder if it's something genetic going on with the lenticels? Red maple will make hypertrophied lenticels in the roots where the soil is pretty wet all the time. Adventitious roots come off them. Never seen what is pictured in the bark.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HousewrightVA

I will try to get another picture or two. To the point, it is a Red Maple on a hilltop so a well drained site. Right beside it is the stump of a large red oak which was blown down about ten years ago and really opened up the canopy. This part of the woods has a good mix of hardwoods with tulip poplars and oaks being dominant. I know a bit about identifying maples, this section is tubed for sap production, look closely in the backgroung of the photo and you can see mainlines and laterals. Swamp Donkey my biology is a little weak, tell me more in laymans terms.
skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

SwampDonkey

Lenticels are most prominent in birch and cherry. It's those short , lighter colored marks in the bark that the tree uses to get oxygen to the live wood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 29, 2012, 10:20:10 AM
Lenticels are most prominent in birch and cherry. It's those short , lighter colored marks in the bark that the tree uses to get oxygen to the live wood.

Oh, so that's what they're for! I learn something new every day. Does aspen have a similar thing that shows up notably? They have some kind of warty little spots on them.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

HousewrightVA

skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

Okrafarmer

Sure would love to mill that log when it grows up!  ;D

tyb525

I milled a 24" DBH hard maple like that, it did make beautiful lumber, had mild burl figure throughout.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Okrafarmer

I've got me eye on a few around here.  :-*

clww

I wasn't aware of sap harvesting in Crozet.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

HousewrightVA

clww I am the only one who does. Stop by I'll give you a tour.
skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

Thank You Sponsors!