iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how many board feet/hours per band on your mill???

Started by mrgraphix, September 22, 2012, 12:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrgraphix

I was just looking at what I had cut before braking a blade about 400 bft oak and cedar at a band cost of about 4.5 cents per board foot.  how does this compare with factory built band mills?
nothing is better than felling your own trees making your own lumber and then building something with it

Kansas

I figure the cost to be too small per board foot to matter. Somewhere under a penny across all the mills. The one mill that uses two inch wide bands might run a little higher, but the other two woodmizers bring the cost down. I used to spot check the cost, but don't bother anymore. I probably should, but don't know what I would do with the information. We don't keep tabs on how much board footage per mill we do. Its like this last week. We had an order of "sticks". The sizes on those are 7/8 x 2 1/8 and then 7/8 x 7/8, by multiples of 4 ft. Most all 8 foot long. The big mill takes the big logs and cants them out. Then they flow to the woodmizers. They needed 6 good size bundles out of them. Some shorter lumber flowed into  piles for pallet lumber. It would not be worth trying to figure out.

If you are only getting 400 ft of lumber out of a new blade, something sounds wrong to me. Might be you hit something off that bat and were pushing a dull blade. Possibly the machine, although I doubt it. Maybe some more information might help us figure it all out.

WoodenHead

I have a manual mill (LT28) and I get about 300-800 bdft from a new blade before it dulls and needs resharpening.  I have not broken a blade yet, thankfully, but there have been times when I thought it should have broke (operator error).  Are you repeatedly braking blades?

ladylake

A blade should lst at least 5 sharpenings cutting anywhere from 350bf in dry hardwood to over 1000bf easy softwood.  I've had quite a few that make it way over 10 sharpenings.  If your breaking a new blade at 400bf something is wrong.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'll saw 400-500 board feet and change my blade when sawing Pine unless the Pine is knotty. I watch knotty Pine like a hawk and control my speed accordingly. When slower speed vs. sharpness and waves start showing up in knotty Pine, I'll change blades even if I've only sawn 50 board feet, if I need to.

When sawing Oak, I always start out with a fresh blade and saw about 300 board feet and change.....when plain sawing. If I'm quarter sawing, I have  (sometimes) changed blades 2-3 times on one BIG log. But just because I change blades that many times quartering sawing Oak, does not mean that blade is dull. I'll put it to the side and use it on Pine later.

And when it comes to Cedar, even if I have only sawn 100 board feet of Oak and then switch to Cedar.....I put on a fresh blade. I just don't want to take a chance on getting a wave in a cedar board. Good Cedar is hard to come by around here.

Evere since I started sawing this way, my blade breakage has dropped tremendously.

I don't think you can just pick a blade and say....well, I gonna saw this many BF with this blade on any species of logs. To many variables.  :)

But last but not least.....even if a blade is sharp right out of the box from re-sharp.....and it has run it's course and given you good service, it will break.....that's life.

I run 10° blades from Wood-Mizer.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Slab Slicer

For me, the first blade I ever put on the mill lasted about 50 or so bd/ft. Then one of them darn log stops jumped up in front of it.  :D

On a serious note, this is a great question. Being new to milling, I need to know. I have heard about 500 bd/ft on the average for my 9 degree blades in wet oak.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

tcsmpsi

There are a lot of variables on 'blade life'.  Tension, sawing speed and wood variations of hard/soft, width, etc., all have effect.  Breaking bands, is a problem, and all of the previous are conditions which to check and refine in order to stop, or at least minimize that effect, providing the blade is running true and unimpaired. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

ladylake

Quote from: mrgraphix on September 22, 2012, 12:28:30 AM
I was just looking at what I had cut before braking a blade about 400 bft oak and cedar at a band cost of about 4.5 cents per board foot.  how does this compare with factory built band mills?

What kind of wheels and guides are you running.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

Depends on how it was sharped too. May have one that cuts real good and than change blade and wondered if that got missed somehow. I can tell by the sound and the feel of the cut. I had an old blade on,was cutting a dirty log with one of my friends. Got that log done and put a brand new blade on. Even he could hear the difference and told me so.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

No question about it, there is no way of knowing for sure how many bd/ft you will get from a blade.  New blades will consistantly give me around 700 bd/ft, resharpes, I do myself 450 or better. I like to change out and give them a lil fuzz sharpening  just for good measure.  I have ran one resharp over 2000 ft, could not believe how this band was cutting and just thought I would push it to the max.  It was still cutting good when I pulled it. Ended up taking it off and sharpening it several more times. It never did break. The feed rate is something I have noticed that wears on a blade more than anything else.  Too heavy of a feed is just hard on them.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

barbender

I think Poston needs to get a Nascar pit crew to change blades for him  ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

I usually get around 500 bf before changing the blade and get on average 8-10 sharpenings per blade before they crack or break.

I usually saw W/Pine & Hemlock with a little hardwood thrown in here and there.

I use Wood-Mizer Double-Hard 10° 1¼X.045 blades.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: barbender on September 22, 2012, 09:08:33 AM
I think Poston needs to get a Nascar pit crew to change blades for him  ;D

Good one Barbender....but I do get some purdy lumber.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

If the logs are clean you should get at least 700 ft, this is around 14-15 logs, either way you figure it a slab rack per blade/  just saying, this should be the norm.   You can go more, or change out and keep on cutting.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Brucer

I had one blade break after its first sharpening, and I had one break after 13 sharpenings. My average is about 6 sharpenings per blade, and 500 BF between sharpenings (with a debarker).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Okrafarmer

That debarker makes a big difference, especially in certain species.  WM tells me I can't upgrade the 1990 LT-40 with one. . . .
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Chuck White

Wonder why !   :P

Do you have an alternator on your mill?

If you do, you should be able to add a debarker!  I think.  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Okrafarmer

Maybe they mean it wouldn't be easy, it wouldn't be approved, and they don't want to tell me I can do it. I assume if that's so, then I could still do it somehow anyway. Yes there is an alternator. And I think there are aftermarket brands out there too, right?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Magicman

The additional weight is probably their concern.  The original up/down chain and sprockets may not be rated to carry the load.  The attachment location may also be a concern.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

True, MM. Just makes it more challenging arranging it.  :-\

Chuck White

The debarker on my mill is not "factory installed", it is a Wood-Mizer add-on!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Chuck White on September 23, 2012, 05:13:40 PM

What year is your mill? Ours is a 1990. They said that was too far back to retrofit it.

moandrich

We have an older lt30 and they said we could add a debarker.  It would be $$$, need and alternator kit, bigger motor and the debarker.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

Okrafarmer

Hmm. Well, I'm not done bugging them about it yet. Once we get the mill up and running good, and making money, then I will pursue it in earnest. One way or another, I expect we'll have a debarker on there eventually.
;D

Chuck White

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 23, 2012, 05:18:04 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on September 23, 2012, 05:13:40 PM

What year is your mill? Ours is a 1990. They said that was too far back to retrofit it.

My mill is a 1995.

note: see my signature

Thank You Sponsors!